Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
My Mood: Cool
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default Average teen 3 lift totals

Since I have been lifting heavy at the gym lately, I have sparked an interest in powerlifting. It is just a lot more fun for me. What do you think is an average 3 lift total to be competitive with other teens?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To be competitive it is much less than you would imagine. Here are results from the 2007 NC Raw Teen Championships:

Winners range from 700 to a 1200 pound total in under 200 pound ranges.

Attached Thumbnails
nc-teen.jpg  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Man I could have come in 2nd. What is the difference between training for strength and training to gain muscle? Now that I've seen this I would really like to compete. But I need some advice and a good time frame.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

what are your lifts? compare your self to us young guys here... look at me, CMK, and iron manlet.

look at my sig for my best lifts... you very well may be stronger than me. then look at CMK who is pulling like 450, benching 315+, and squatting around 400 (not sure his exact lifts but those are close.)

this will give you an idea of your strength level
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

I need to do a 1RM for the 3 main lifts. According to the calculator I'm around 945, but I'm pretty sure I can get more than that. I'm not going to just jump into a competition, I want to train, and get all my lifts up big time.

Goals:
Bench: 250
Squat: 350
Deads: 450
Total = 1050

Current:
Bench: 225 X2
Deads: 365 X 2
Squat: 315 X 4

I haven't been deadlifting for that long, maybe 4 months. I have been doing heavy squats for probably 4 months too. I know I need to work on those a lot.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Man I could have come in 2nd. What is the difference between training for strength and training to gain muscle? Now that I've seen this I would really like to compete. But I need some advice and a good time frame.
Not as much as you would think. As long as you focus on the primary lifts, you can train for both sports at the same time.

A program like Wendler's 5/3/1 is real solid. You can periodize the real big lifts, while also adding in some work for both strength and size.

Programs like what Kman created, or what Jwood uses are both amazing for size and strength.

I trained like a bodybuilder for most of my life, but concentrated on compound lifts. It made me pretty darn strong. Point being - the door is wide open as to how you train.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
andys_trim
andys_trim
has no status.
Max Brawn

Can you link me to a 5/3/1 program? I only have 3 weeks left on tri phase

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Can you link me to a 5/3/1 program? I only have 3 weeks left on tri phase
Here you go:

* 4 Core Workouts. Wendler's 5/3/1 consists of 4 core workouts:

Workout A. Squat and assistance work.

Workout B. Bench Press and assistance work.

Workout C. Deadlift and assistance work.

Workout D. Overhead Press and assistance work.

* 4 Days Per Week. If you use Wendler's 5/3/1 and train 4 days per week, your mesocycle will last only 4 weeks. Your workout schedule should look something life this:

Monday. Squat Day

Wednesday. Bench Press Day

Friday. Deadlift Day

Saturday. Overhead Press Day

* Workout Waves. Each workout is performed 4 times during the course of a Wendler's 5/3/1 mesocycle. Simply stated, you will have 4 bench press workouts, 4 squat workouts, 4 deadlift workouts, and 4 overhead press workouts. Each specific workout (A-B-C-D) is comprised of 4 waves, or 4 different workouts. These waves are:

Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5

Wave B. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3

Wave C. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1

Wave D. Deload wave – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Assistance Work

How much assistance work you do is up to you. Natural lifters should try to be in and out of the gym in 60 minutes. If you can't "hit it" in that period of time, you need to take a long, hard look at the rest periods you are taking between assistance work sets. A quote from Jim Wendler on training duration:

"People laugh and call me lazy, while they twit around in their three-hour workout making zero progress. Sometimes, instead of what you do in the weight room, it's what you don't do that will lead to success."

In the Wendler's 5/3/1 book, the following assistance plans are presented:

* Boring But Big. Main lift, the main lift again @ 5x10 (50% 1RM), and another accessory exercise for 5 sets.
* The Triumvirate. Main lift, and two assistance exercises - 5 sets each.
* I'm Not Doing Jack ****. Main lift, and nothing else.
* Periodization Bible by Dave Tate. Main lift, and 3 exercises - 5 x 10-20 reps each.
* Bodyweight. Main lift, and 2 bodyweight exercises such as the pull up, sit ups, dips, etc.

Here are some sample assistance work plans based on your goals.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Strength Builder Assistance Work

From the Wendler 5/3/1 E-Book.

Squat Workout

* Squat: 5 x 10 x 50%
* Leg Curl: 5 x 10

Bench Press Workout

* Bench Press: 5 x 10 x 50%
* One Arm Dumbbell Row: 5 x 10

Deadlift Workout

* Deadlift: 5 x 8 x 50%
* Hanging Leg Raises: 5 x 12

Overhead Press Workout

* Overhead Press: 5 x 10 x 50%
* Chin Up: 5 sets to failure

Bodybuilder Assistance Work

From the Wendler 5/3/1 E-Book.

Squat Workout Day - Assistance Option A

* Hack Squat: 4 sets of 10-20 reps
* Leg Extension: 4 sets of 10-30 reps
* Leg Curl: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
* Weighted Sit up: 4 sets of 10 reps

Squat Workout Day - Assistance Option B

* 45 Degree Leg Press – 4 sets of 10-20 reps
* Leg Extension – 4 sets of 10-30 reps
* Leg Curl – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
* Weighted Sit up – 4 sets of 10 reps

Bench Press Workout Day - Assistance option A

* Dumbbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 10-20 reps
* Chest Dip (weighted): 4 sets of 8-15 reps
* Dumbbell Flys: 4 sets of 12 reps
* Cable Tricep Extension: 4 sets of 10-20 reps

Bench Press Workout Day - Assistance option B

* Incline Dumbbell Bench Press – 4 sets of 10-20 reps
* Chest Dip (weighted) – 4 sets of 8-15 reps
* Dumbbell Flys – 4 sets of 12 reps
* Cable Tricep Extension – 4 sets of 10-20 reps

Deadlift Workout Day - Assistance Option A

* Chin Up: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
* Bent Over Dumbbell Row: 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
* Back Raises: 4 sets of 10 reps (with bar behind neck)
* Hanging Leg Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps

Deadlift Workout Day - Assistance Option B

* Lat Pull Down – 4 sets of 10-12 reps
* Bent Over Row – 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
* Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 12 reps
* Hanging Leg Raises – 4 sets of 15 reps

Overhead Press Workout Day - Assistance Option A

* Seated Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 10 reps
* Barbell Upright Row: 4 sets of 10 reps
* Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
* Standing Barbell Curl: 4 sets of 10 reps

Overhead Press Workout Day - Assistance Option B

* Hammer Machine Military – 4 sets of 10 reps
* Rope Upright Rows – 4 sets of 10 reps
* Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Fly – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
* Standing Dumbbell Curl – 4 sets of 10 reps

Wendler's 5/3/1 Notes

One rep max. When you first start Wendler's 5/3/1, use a realistic one rep max (1RM). It's better to start a little below your estimated max and work into Wendler's 5/3/1, then it is to over-estimate your 1RM and waste a mesocycle. Powerlifting is not a sprint - it's a marathon. Don't kill yourself out of the gate. Jim Wendler recommends starting at 90% of your 1RM on your first mesocycle.

The last set. Jim Wendler recommends going all out on the last core set each workout. Remember, core work is either squats, bench press, deadlift or overhead press. On this last set, do as many reps as you can with the given weight. Do NOT use this approach for de-load workouts.

Adding weight. After completing each mesocycle, add 5 pounds to your 1RM total for bench press and overhead press, and 10 pounds to your squat and deadlift 1RM, and recalculate your percentages. If you run Wendler's 5/3/1 for a year, this progression pattern will add 50 pounds to your bench and press, and 100 pounds to your squat and deadlift. Be patient, and stick with the plan!

Share with Facebook