Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Dynasty
Dynasty
the determined
The Irish One
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Cheerful
Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor
Default Running

Hey everyone just a small question really and would like your view Would help me and definately others.

As those that know me on these forums I am bulking up. However, I started picking up running also, and that is training twice a week. Now currently I'm not 100 per cent if I'll be entering big competitions etc (I doubt it really), but what I have in my mind is simply for fitness. The running I'm currently doing is long distance and as mentioned I train twice week around the track with a club of very positive and energetic individuals, I must say runners are some of the nicest people I have come across.

Most people associate runners as extremely thin indiviuals and usually light people too. People usually associate sprinters as fairly built, athletic wise.

I train 4 times a week in gym and hoping to continue running twice a week (Tues and Thurs evenings) however this clashes with earlier in the afternoon with gym, I will make sure I do not work on my legs on either day though. The running is primarily my ONLY cardio at the moment besides walking around.

QUESTION: Do you think the sport of running would go against someone who is trying to gain muscle?

Thank you for any comments

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,184, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,184, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,184, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Running, or cardio in general for health is a solid choice. As long as your diet is in check it won't impact muscle gains. In college, when I made most of my gains, I was playing basketball for nearly an hour after each workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,234, Level: 67 Points: 10,234, Level: 67 Points: 10,234, Level: 67
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
My Mood: Aggressive
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

This is simply my opinion on running, not necessarily any science here, but from being in the Army I did my fair share. I don't think the benefits outweigh the damage to your bones and joints, especially long didstance running, and I'm not talking temporary injuries I mean irreparable damage to your skeleton. Just my $0.02.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Dynasty
Dynasty
the determined
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

Dynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributorDynasty is a consistent contributor

Thanks for input guys. And basketball, one sport I never got into.

So you say trevor that you think running is bad for you?

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,234, Level: 67 Points: 10,234, Level: 67 Points: 10,234, Level: 67

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Thanks for input guys. And basketball, one sport I never got into.

So you say trevor that you think running is bad for you?
Yeah, especially for distance. The repetitive impact on your joints is no good.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

running will be bad for your bodybuilding and bodybuilding will be bad for your running.

being heavier is worse for running and running ****s up your gains, but if you like both, do both... if you ever want to be the best you can at one or the other then you have to stop the other
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,041, Level: 92 Points: 22,041, Level: 92 Points: 22,041, Level: 92
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I do not think that running twice a week will be that awful, you will still be able to put muscle on. Just make sure it is not hurting your recovery too bad, and keep note of all your lifts, and if your lifts are progressing you will gain muscle.

Do what you want to do, if you like to run, do it. When I was in my freshman year of college I used to do long distance running 3-4 times a week and I still put on a lot of muscle. Just make sure you eat enough so your body can add muscle

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Marc
Marc
TV.
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: A Hole
Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Yeah, especially for distance. The repetitive impact on your joints is no good.
Disagree, my Mother has been a runner all her life and my Father is a triathlete, still competetive at age 56... Been doing them since before i was born and I am 22, he ran alot even before then too. Both are in great shape, no joint issues what so ever. So the OP has literally nothing to worry aobut in my opinion, especially for the kind of running he is doing.

Last edited by Marc; 08-11-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
Dynasty
Dynasty
the determined
The Irish One
Uber Brawn

"Obsessed is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Love your sig, I actually have that on a t-shirt

Thanks for the replies guys I'm sure it should not impact me if my diet is in check, what I'll keep doing is logging every month my gains and as always I am reporting my lifts so if I see I am not gaining in my lifts then perhaps summit is up, but I'll eat like an animal while I'm bulking, I still plan to bulk till end of December.

Another question also if any may know this, sometimes when I'm running and this has been happening for ages now actually with my left foot it leaves off some sort of clicks, my father said its probably air between joints, but I'm really not sure. It does not hurt at all but its just annoying to hear these clicking noises. If you guys don't knowI can ask coach or a doctor, but it is not affecting my running at all just an annoying sound lol.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
ElementalVirago
ElementalVirago
is fucking fear in the scaredy hole.
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42

Fav Supp: Lard
My Mood: Yeehaw
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

How "long distance" are we talking? You'll be fine as long as you're not doing half marathons 3 times a week or something like that. Running is really good for your heart and lungs, as well as being a great fat burner. Sure it CAN be bad for your knees, but anything can be bad on your knees if you do it enough and you have a predisposition for joint/knee problems. I honestly don't see you running enough to have a negative impact on your joints or your muscle gains. And for anyone who thinks that runners don't have or can't put on muscle, just look at a picture of Flo Jo. Yes, she was primarily a sprinter, but that goes with what I said about not running too long distance.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook