Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,271, Level: 67 Points: 10,271, Level: 67 Points: 10,271, Level: 67
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
My Mood: Aggressive
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast
Default DOD asks congress if it can spend less

on UAV program, congess says NO!
Committee denies DoD request to cut UAV funds - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times
Committee denies DoD request to cut UAV funds

By John Reed - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Aug 4, 2010 17:11:34 EDT

The House Armed Services Committee denied a recent Pentagon request to chop hundreds of millions of dollars from several key UAV programs.

The powerful committee ordered the Defense Department to keep $71 million for the RQ-4 Global Hawk strategic spy jet since the “program has been consistently underfunded in the area of spare parts,” according to a July 30 letter from committee chairman Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., to Defense Department comptroller Robert Hale. “The committee encourages the Air Force to obligate these funds as soon as possible in order to support ongoing operations in” Iraq and Afghanistan.

Air Force officials have repeatedly said they are not happy with the Northrop Grumman-run Global Hawk program because the per-plane cost keeps rising.

Northrop officials say the military keeps increasing the requirements while buying the UAVs in small batches.

The lawmakers also denied the Pentagon’s request to cut $68 million from the MQ-9 Reaper because “the Air Force has negotiated an option under an existing contract where these funds will be used to meet existing ISR shortages,” according to the letter. It does not clarify what the option is or what those ISR shortages are.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
The House Armed Services Committee denied a recent Pentagon request to chop hundreds of millions of dollars from several key UAV programs.

All I can say is WTF? I can't respond intelligently to that statement.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Urban Sniper Champion!
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Yeah, God forbid if the feds spend less.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Actually, I'm happy to see this. My job is to provide IT Support to the people who work part of the Global Hawk program here at Hanscom AFB. They are always complaining of stalls because of funding.. The article says the AF is unhappy with NG because cost per plane keeps rising. Well, if you want to constantly have the latest greatest technology, and be able to continuously research for even better UAV technology, this **** ain't free gentlemen.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Urban Sniper Champion!

This is exactly why I'd cut the government, including defense, by about 90% if I were king. The military would only perform homeland defense unless war was declared, then we'd stand up to mobilize witn no ROE and kick our enemy's ass, come home, and cut it back to peacetime level.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

The UAV mission is going to continue to grow, and take up more dollars. This will mean that the AF will have to cut back in other areas, namely pilots, and other airframes.

The future of manned fighters is a gig question mark at this point with all the work that is being done by UAV's in combat ops right now.

It is not unreasonable to expect that the technology to have almost every mission done by an UAV of some sort is already being looked at. From fighters to cargo the majority of the manned AF could be going the way of the Dodo bird.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Al I know is that I was in supply, and when I had to buy a box of toilet paper for my unit (back in '92) it cost my unit $60 for a box. That's not a typo.

I think they could handle much smaller budgets if government contracts weren't such a corporate/politician scam.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Al I know is that I was in supply, and when I had to buy a box of toilet paper for my unit (back in '92) it cost my unit $60 for a box. That's not a typo.

I think they could handle much smaller budgets if government contracts weren't such a corporate/politician scam.
Amen to that man.. I see so much BS at my base it really drives me crazy.. One of these days, I'm going to have a book of BS to give the GAO...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook