Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Glutamine Thoughts

Do you use glutamine? Do you feel it's effective or provides results.

I am constantly going round and round with another lifter about this supplement. He keeps forcing studies in my face that "prove" glutamine is useless. I use it in Xtend and BC + EAA, and get improved recovery and lessened DOMs.

That are your thoughts?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I want to jump on the glutamine bandwagon so bad. Truth be told though, I have a tub and there it sits. I hear guys at the gym say its the only supplement they won't train without. My issue is I've heard and read so many conflicting reports on proper timing. Empty stomach. First thing in the morning. Pre workout. Post workout with your protein shake. For the love of God, No! Don't take it with protein, it will compete for receptors! With food. Before bed. Wake up in the middle of the night to take it.

I want to be an advocate, but I've never been able to be consistent enough with my usage to determine if it does any good.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,343, Level: 100 Points: 33,343, Level: 100 Points: 33,343, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Just started glutamine a week ago, maybe soreness goes away a bit quicker but i cant really tell.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
quicksilver0587
quicksilver0587
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Mellow
quicksilver0587 is new to the forumquicksilver0587 is new to the forumquicksilver0587 is new to the forum

Was that receptor thing a joke, Valsalva? Cuz if it is, then I'd recommend taking whatever that person has to say with a grain of salt because I can't imagine how that would work.

I took a look at Williams Llewelyn's supplementation book, and he advocated it to be a pretty useful supplement. Seeing as it is at work, I can't give you specifics, but I'll take a look at it when I go into work today and I'll let you know more later.

Me personally, I think it's dumb. It's never done anything for me at least. I'd rather spend my money on BCAA's.
quicksilver0587 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
ElementalVirago
ElementalVirago
is fucking fear in the scaredy hole.
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
My Mood: Yeehaw
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

I use it, but the jury is still out on whether or not it's been effective at ANYTHING. I don't believe that's it's relieved any DOMS (not noticeably, anyway, or nothing I could attribute to glutamine) or really any of the extra pump or ability to push thru the last reps like I've heard it's supposed to. I've been using this instead of creatine for the last month or so (because creatine so increases my water weight) but it's not really been an apples to apples substitute, IMO. Some people swear by it, others say it's just a waste of money. I guess like most supplements, it works for some yet not so much for others.

Plus, I just realized that there is glutamine in my ON Whey protein so I'm probably taking it separately for nothing. I won't be spending extra money on it again.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver0587 View Post
Was that receptor thing a joke, Valsalva? Cuz if it is, then I'd recommend taking whatever that person has to say with a grain of salt because I can't imagine how that would work.
I took a look at Williams Llewelyn's supplementation book, and he advocated it to be a pretty useful supplement. Seeing as it is at work, I can't give you specifics, but I'll take a look at it when I go into work today and I'll let you know more later.

Me personally, I think it's dumb. It's never done anything for me at least. I'd rather spend my money on BCAA's.
Actually no. I have seen that claim in a couple of places either in print, or online. I'm sorry for not being able to provide a source. I can look. I have to agree with you as to glutamine not doing anything for me. But like I've said, I haven't been consistent enough with my glutamine supplementation. There's too many people in my circle that swear by it for me to ignore it. Bottom line though, it IS a SUPPLEMENT. Experience tells me that food and rest also remedies DOMS and hastens recovery.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've seen a bunch of studies/anti-articles on glutamine that make some pretty unusual claims, primarily that it's junk. But when I use it I notice benefits.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've seen a bunch of studies/anti-articles on glutamine that make some pretty unusual claims, primarily that it's junk. But when I use it I notice benefits.
That's what I want. Damn the science, give me anecdotal evidence.

Maybe what I should do after my health improves is start a glutamine log. Can I get a company to donate supps?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
That's what I want. Damn the science, give me anecdotal evidence.

Maybe what I should do after my health improves is start a glutamine log. Can I get a company to donate supps?
You missed the Xtend sale a couple days ago

As I always say, drug companies and supplement companies don't make money off of studies, they thrive or die on real world evidence.

Personally, I would rather listen to the opinion of you guys than a study any day.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-02-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
big valsalva
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You missed the Xtend sale a couple days ago

As I always say, drug companies and supplement companies don't make money off of studies, they thrive or die on real world evidence.

Personally, I would rather listen to the opinion of you guys then a study any day.
Didn't miss a thing. "Sale" implies "having to buy." My screen name should really be "cheapbastard." I'll run a log. If a company wants to pony up. I'll try the product. If not, then it will be just store brand L-Glutamine.

Share with Facebook