Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Cool
sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Default Sticking Points?

I need a little help with a couple things on my big lifts...I'm trying to find out ways of strengthening my sticking points.

Bench: About 1/2-1 inch above my chest is where I most often get stuck.

Deadlift: About halfway up my shin. Lockout is fine.

Since I'm running Madcows, is there really any way to do accessory movements to strengthen this, or should I just stick through and run with the program? The only accessory stuff it provides is:

- BB curls
- Tricep extensions
- Dips
- Weighted sit-ups

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by sneezingstardust; 06-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
strkout35
strkout35
is starting the full body routine again
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Mellow
strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

whenever i've heard people ask this the answers always been "don't mess with it." not telling you what to do but that's the most common response i've heard

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
whenever i've heard people ask this the answers always been "don't mess with it." not telling you what to do but that's the most common response i've heard
Yeah I kinda heard that too. :/

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
I need a little help with a couple things on my big lifts...I'm trying to find out ways of strengthening my sticking points.

Bench: About 1/2-1 inch above my chest is where I most often get stuck.

Squat: The first few inches coming out of the hole.

Deadlift: About halfway up my shin. Lockout is fine.

Since I'm running Madcows, is there really any way to do accessory movements to strengthen this, or should I just stick through and run with the program? The only accessory stuff it provides is:

- BB curls
- Tricep extensions
- Dips
- Weighted sit-ups
Could you post the program days and exercises again...maybe we can give you some swap out suggestions for stuff like tri extensions...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
quicksilver0587
quicksilver0587
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Mellow
quicksilver0587 is new to the forumquicksilver0587 is new to the forumquicksilver0587 is new to the forum

You could try out isometrics at those sticking points. Like, put the pins above the bar when you deadlift, and try and work against the pins for as long as you can at your sticking point, until the bar starts falling again.

"Start the bar at a specific height, and lift it two to three inches against a second set of safety pins. Then hold the position for six to nine seconds. Keep on adding weight until you can't lift it. Just hold the bar firmly against the second set of safety pins for at least six seconds, while maintaining a good lifting posture.

This way you're actually lifting weights, and can quantify your progress. Furthermore, since there's a short dynamic phase to the movement, the transfer of the gained isometric strength to an actual dynamic action is more important.[1]"

Also, a good technique is simply powering through it. The faster you can move the bar at the start, the easier it is to get past the sticking points. Seems common sense, but actually think about it when you go to do it.

[1] TMUSCLE.com | Beast Building - Part 2
quicksilver0587 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,381, Level: 100 Points: 33,381, Level: 100 Points: 33,381, Level: 100
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Try doing different height heavy rackpulls for the deadlift, helped me with s/p's a while ago, and good luck!

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
cooltom
cooltom
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Pensive
cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

With your bench, that is a common sticking point. My advice is to not start worrying about **** like that right away and just work hard on your main lifts for a while. But, if you are concerned with that sticking point, paused bench presses would probably help.

With the deadlift, just keep hitting the accessories hard after you pull, like good mornings, SDLs, leg curls, rack pulls, etc.

And I'm not saying to do each one of those accessories after your main lift, just pick one or two that you think will benefit you most and work it really hard.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

For reference, these are my exercises:

Monday – Heavy Day

Squat – 5 sets of 5
Bench – 5 sets of 5
Barbell Row or Powerclean – 5 sets of 5
Weighted hyperextensions - 2 sets (optional)
Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets (optional)

Wednesday – Light Day

Squat – 4 sets of 5
Incline Bench or Overhead Press – 4 sets of 5
Deadlift – 4 sets of 5
Sit-ups - 3 sets (optional)

Friday - Medium

Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Barbell Row or Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 for rows
Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8 (optional)
Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets of 8 each (optional)

I'd also like to get some calf work in, cause mine suck...but I don't know whether it's smart or not to add in any extras.

-------

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If I were doing it...I would dump the weighted dips for closegrip benches.

I know a while back, you and Tony and DW were talking powerlifting. Did they have any opinion on you doing speed deads or deficit deads. I'm thinking either of these might help with your pull at the shins.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If I were doing it...I would dump the weighted dips for closegrip benches.

I know a while back, you and Tony and DW were talking powerlifting. Did they have any opinion on you doing speed deads or deficit deads. I'm thinking either of these might help with your pull at the shins.
I was thinking of that, but where would I fit them into the program?

-------

Share with Facebook