Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #561
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,220, Level: 79 Points: 15,220, Level: 79 Points: 15,220, Level: 79
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Any tips on cleaning the axle? In particular, when I continental it, i can pop it up to my gut easily. On the second part though, I can usually get decent height but have major issues getting underneath it and pushing my elbows forward.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #562
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
is getting too old for this shit.
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Any tips on cleaning the axle? In particular, when I continental it, i can pop it up to my gut easily. On the second part though, I can usually get decent height but have major issues getting underneath it and pushing my elbows forward.
All I can really suggest is more practice of just the clean. It's a movement that can take some time to be efficient at. I had my sister do 3x5 on the clean with every week and I had her start out at 85% of her best overhead from the rack and add weight each week. Don't power clean the light stuff, commit to the continental from the start. Other things are minor things like making sure your suit is tight or is chalked up well or has a big solid logo on it so that the axle "sticks" better.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #563
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

September 28, 2013 – Event Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Yoke
250x50'
250x50'
450x50'
600x50' in 8.25 seconds
685x50' in 10.40 seconds
770x50' in 12.49 seconds

18" Pick Farmer's Walk
140x50'
205x50'
250x50' in 7.31 seconds
280x50' in 8.72 seconds
315x50' in 10.65 seconds

Car Deadlift Frame Hold (18" Pick)
Carx1
Car+90x1
Car+180x1
Car+270x1 for 38.71 seconds
Car+300x1 for 35.97 seconds
Car+200x1 for 41.31 seconds

Comments: Felt a bit more organized coming in to this training session as I knew exactly what I wanted to hit. Again, concerned about my right knee but it seemed to take it fine. Lower back definitely not fully recovered from the rest of this week and my times on yoke were about a second slower than I would have liked. Farmer's went well though, moved fast on the two lighter sets and just slightly slower than my best with 310lbs a hand so progress in some sense. The big thing I wanted to test out was car deadlift holds with contest weight. Brought some blocks over to elevate the handles to the contest height. Like last time, it felt dead with just the car and I was worried this was going to be impossible. I tole myself I just needed to pull and it would go. I knew after the pick with 180lbs on the handles that 270lbs could definitely happen. I think I was more anxious about picking it up rather than holding it. I came very close to my time from last week from the low pick with 70lbs less. I was going to stop here and do a lighter set but thought why not more. Grip isn't the issue for me and 300lbs is nicer number. Slow pick up but I got it. Surprised to get close to the time I set with 270lbs. Hands were just fed up with what I was doing when I did a lighter set with 200lbs. Beat my time by about 1.5 seconds after all the other crap.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #564
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

September 30, 2013 – Overhead Event Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Circus Dumbbell Clean and Presses (Left Side Only)
20x5
20x5 (clean once)
50x5
80x3
110x3
130x1
147x4
147x4
147x4
147x4
167x2
187x2 PR+2lbs

Axle Jerks
135x3
185x3
235x8
235x8
235x8
235x8

Band Triceps Pressdowns
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25

Face Pulls
LB+MMBx25
LB+MMBx25
LB+MMBx25
LB+MMBx25

27 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: As I've prefaced my other workouts since last week, I was worried about my right knee and I think I'm going to be like that until I do every exercise. First set with 147lbs was just terrible. I was slow and unbalanced. Luckily I woke up after that crapfest and hit the rest of my reps well. Crushed 167lbs and learned from last week and chalked up my shoulder for my heaviest double. No weeble-wobble here on the 187lbs set. Very happy about that and I feel good for more. Started a bit lighter for the axle jerks (knee) and it went fairly well. Some tightness in my lower back made some reps sloppy but never any doubts of getting them all. Despite what I said last time, I upped the band tension for triceps and upper back. I should be at these for some time.

Last edited by Craig Pfisterer; 09-30-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Craig Pfisterer is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #565
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,505, Level: 47 Points: 5,505, Level: 47 Points: 5,505, Level: 47
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Strong work man.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #566
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
Strong work man.
Thanks Cutty.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #567
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,629, Level: 100 Points: 33,629, Level: 100 Points: 33,629, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Impressive strength and also good speed on the yoke and bags. Good stuff!

Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #568
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Impressive strength and also good speed on the yoke and bags. Good stuff!
Thanks swede. I assume bags = farmers?

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #569
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

October 01, 2013 Deadlift Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

8" Block Pulls
175x5
265x5
355x3
445x3
Added Straps
Added Metal Gear Pro Deadlifter (Straps Down)
535x4
535x4
535x4
535x4
Straps Up (loose)
610x2
Straps Up (tight)
685x2
No Suit
535x10

Glute Ham Raises
LB+6x3
LB+29x3
LB+51x8
LB+51x8
LB+51x8
LB+51x8

Wide Grip Pulldowns
200x12
200x12
200x12

Ab Wheel
bwx15
bwx15
bwx15

32 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: I sort of knew what to expect this session as far as pulling. I was initially going to go in and do my pulling raw except for the two heavy doubles as I don't feel I get anything out of having the suit on with the straps down. I reconsidered it though as I'm going to be wearing the suit for a while at the contest between attempts so I might as well get used to being uncomfortable for long stretches of time. Another thing was changing back to the bent to hell bar for the pulls. I made the change for two reasons; one is that the other guys training at the gym would prefer to use the deadlift bar as they will be using it at competition and the other is that the bent to hell bar is closer to contest conditions. I think I switched to using the deadlift bar because I wanted to compare to past records and I was worried I'd miss my weights. Can't do that, got to make training tougher than the show. One of the pluses to using the bad bar was that it wanted to roll out of my straps. I had forgotten that this is the same thing that I felt on my 650lbs pull on the apparatus from about 3 months ago. Going to need to remember that and chalk up the straps to secure everything. In either case, I think I'm getting better at the suit. Had the straps on really loose for the first double, they fell off my right shoulder going for the second rep haha. Again, the weight felt super heavy on the heaviest double but the weight moved well and I again felt like I could rep it out until I couldn't breathe. I can see why some people say the geared training can provide some greater consistency to hitting heavier weights more frequently. The suit isn't going to get tried. I definitely think 750lbs is doable at the contest at this point. Down set was a bit tougher than last week with the change in the bar. Still leaving reps in the tank but certainly closer to failure than Ive been in past sessions. I had briefly entertained doing stiff-legged sumo stuff but I was just plain dead so on to easier stuff. The foot anchor adjustment on the ghr was up higher than usual and I noticed it made my hamstrings, glutes and calves work harder at the top. I put it back to normal on the second set but decided the higher setting was better so move it back for the last two sets. Felt a little off on the pulldowns as the cable had been extended to accommodate a shorter person. No issues once I fixed that for my other two sets. Easy abs and lots of stretching. Looking forward to a break at this point haha.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #570
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Well, found out some more info on contest events. Hummer tire deadlift is going to be slightly lower than I expected (16") so I'll lower the blocks yet another inch for rest of my training. Hopefully this won't cut the numbers by much and will also have more carryover to my floor pull once I get done with the contest. The other change I don't care for is the car deadlift hold. Straps are going to be allowed. Both options can be quite draining but the straps are going to make it even more so. Grip shouldn't really fail, it's going to be midsection and upper back. I did over contest weight for close to 40 seconds without straps so it could be a long battle. Hopefully they make it heavier.

October 03, 2013 Squat Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

21" Axle Front Box Squats
72x10
116x5
160x5
195x5
245x3
295x5
330x3
370x10 PR+10lbs & 1 rep
295x8
295x8
295x8

Angled Leg Presses
+520x3
+620x8
+620x8
+620x8
+620x9

Chest Supported Rows
345x12
345x12
345x12

Leg Raises
bwx15
bwx15
bwx15

30 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Still watching the knee. I definitely surprised myself on the heaviest set. I knew after I hit 7 that I was going to get 10. First down set was a bit rough as I took an extended break to discuss training with another gym goer. I was most concerned about the leg press so I tried to keep from locking out my legs. Felt these in my upper hamstrings a bit. Miscounted on the last set and did 9. Rather do an extra rep than one short. Rows weren't bad and finished up with abs.

Share with Facebook