Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100
Activity: 70% Activity: 70% Activity: 70%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How often do you "de-load", or take time away from training?

How often do you de-load, or take time away from training?

When I was younger, I took less time away - maybe a week every 6 months. But now I generally take 3-7 days away every 2-3 months. I don't plan this period, it usually just happens with general life busyness or illness.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
BRaWNy
BRaWNy
is training for Muscle and Force Development
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: ~20 years
Fav Exercise: Snatch High Pull
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
My Mood: Lonely
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

I rarely take off entirely from training, it happens sometimes, and it is not planned either and for the same reasons of general life with MaB in the post above.

But I deload or do back off days in training often.
They also are not planned, it goes instinctivelly and impulsive, and when I feel to back off or deload.

I preffer to have a more autoregulatory plan and periodize my training this way, and not something written on paper with dates etc.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100 Points: 1,508,587, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm the same way Brawny. I rarely schedule a de-load, unless I am doing a straight powerlifting routine, but I haven't done that in 6 months.

I think I have my current routine down to the point where the need for de-loading just isn't there.

Back in my youth when I recklessly performed a more high volume style routine, I would get worn down after several months and want to get away. In fact, this style often burned me out, and often lead to a questioning of whether I should continue lifting at all.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
JesseA
JesseA
has no status.
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Every 4th week I'm deloading with dynamic effort movements with around 40-50% 1RM. It really helps get rid of any aches or pains I might be accumulating. Supposedly it helps with muscle growth as well, but I've not noticed anything specific to the deload week and size gains.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Every 4th week I'm deloading with dynamic effort movements with around 40-50% 1RM. It really helps get rid of any aches or pains I might be accumulating. Supposedly it helps with muscle growth as well, but I've not noticed anything specific to the deload week and size gains.
The dual factor aspect of de-loading supposedly keeps the fitness level while decreasing fatigue, which can add strength. I've not experienced this myself, but in theory it sounds good

Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
maokoto
maokoto
has no status.
New Brawn

maokoto is off to a bad start

I used to deload when my progress stucks for 3, 4 or more weeks. It got me stressed a lot because all of that effort without any gains.

Now I am having a more conservative approach, try to deload when I feel like it is a good time to do it, even if I think I could push a little more. Sometimes it is hard to convince oneself not to go all-out everytime.

As for rest periods, I don´t plan them either. Life brings them naturally (trips, illness, social compromises, etc.)

Share with Facebook