Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Cool
sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Default Increasing your bench!

Okay so I'm really, really bad at benching. I know that people tell you, "If you want to be better at squats, SQUAT MORE!!" and all that jazz, but if you're not doing something right, you're not really going to progress . So I'm wondering if you guys have any tips you could give me? (Benching tonight).

I keep a good arch in my back, my foot placement is good, and I use a full ROM, but my arms always seem to give out before my chest, so something tells me I'm not doing something right. My chest isn't SUPER strong, but it's not so terrible either, I don't think...then again, I could be doing everything right but just need to work up strength.

I would take videos, except my gym has banned cameras of any kind - so any info you guys would like to share would be much appreciated
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How often do you perform closegrip bench presses or french presses? Usually women have a tendency to under work the triceps (though you are no typical light-weight using woman, obviously), so I thought I would start there...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-27-2010 at 10:23 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
RickB
RickB
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Yeehaw
RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Are you doing plenty of tricep work? Some of the best things are Close Grip Bench and Skullcrushers imo.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
How often do you perform closegrip bench presses or french presses? Usually women have a tendency to under work the triceps (though you are no typical light-weight using woman, obviously), so I thought I would start there...
Close-grip bench I'm starting to add into my routine again now that I started a BBing split up again. I do a lot of OH DB/bar extensions/pressing, etc. . always include tricep work. Do you think maybe my hand placement just isn't wide enough, and I'm hitting my triceps more than my chest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Are you doing plenty of tricep work? Some of the best things are Close Grip Bench and Skullcrushers imo.
I do lots of tricep work. Close grip bench, dips, rolling tricep extensions, skullcrushers, etc.

If anything, it's been my chest that gets under-worked.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
CallmeKing
CallmeKing
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Drunk
CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Idk how tall you are but, I like to put my middle finger around the rings.
When I started doing these it helped me a lot
1. Squezze the bar really tight and act as if you're trying to pull it apart
2. When bringing the bar down really focus on using your lats

Bench Press Articles About Bench Press Technique

there are a sh*tload of articles in here that helped me.

this is pretty basic stuff but a lot overlook it
http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-tip.htm

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
Idk how tall you are but, I like to put my middle finger around the rings.
When I started doing these it helped me a lot
1. Squezze the bar really tight and act as if you're trying to pull it apart
2. When bringing the bar down really focus on using your lats

Bench Press Articles About Bench Press Technique

there are a sh*tload of articles in here that helped me.

this is pretty basic stuff but a lot overlook it
Bench Press Tip
Thanks for the tips and links! Now that I think about it, I don't think I'm bringing my lats/traps into the bench as much as I could be, which might be affecting how tight the movement is.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Close-grip bench I'm starting to add into my routine again now that I started a BBing split up again. I do a lot of OH DB/bar extensions/pressing, etc. . always include tricep work. Do you think maybe my hand placement just isn't wide enough, and I'm hitting my triceps more than my chest?

I do lots of tricep work. Close grip bench, dips, rolling tricep extensions, skullcrushers, etc.

If anything, it's been my chest that gets under-worked.
I used to do close grips with a fairly narrow grip, but now I hit them about 4 inches tighter then a bench press. I feel my pecs working this way, but the focus is more heavily on the triceps.

Are your elbows at "about" 45 degrees when you bench? If you stand up and raise your elbows out 45 degrees and lift your hands up, this is about how wide you want your bench grip.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
cooltom
cooltom
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Pensive
cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

When you arch your back and lay on the bench, make sure to keep your upper back tight as well, as if pinching your scapulae together. Also, try to tuck your elbows in to your sides: don't let them flair out. When I do both of these, the weight goes up a bit better.

Also, everything that has been said by CallMeKing, Rick, and BTB is critical as well.

For triceps work, I like dips and floor presses. The latter you can do with a barbell or a set of dumbbells. I did them yesterday for the first time in a while, and my triceps are very, very sore.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
When you arch your back and lay on the bench, make sure to keep your upper back tight as well, as if pinching your scapulae together. Also, try to tuck your elbows in to your sides: don't let them flair out. When I do both of these, the weight goes up a bit better.
^Ye, i like to focus on keeping the back tight as well. And rather than thinking about pushing the weight up, ill think about shoving my back into the pad as hard as possible.

Experiment on your grip distance, i recently spread my grip more than normal and found it really helped my bench.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Mombow111
Mombow111
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

So you're having trouble locking the weight out? Have you given partials a shot?
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook