Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,778, Level: 100 Points: 36,778, Level: 100 Points: 36,778, Level: 100
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Default Deadlift help

Hi Guys

Steve has been helping me work on my deadlift form and he, along with some very useful pointers from Tony as well, has managed to develop my form from train wreck bad to hit and run scale bad. The problem that I have is that after I get set to lift, I always lift my hips slightly and round my back. I now do it way less than I was but it's still happening. The below vid' is from this week's deadlift session and shows what I mean:

Can anyone tell me why my lower back feels the need to make like a gym noobie and curl?

Thanks!

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
DocColossus
DocColossus
www.facebook.com/50feetcloser
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
My Mood: Yeehaw
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

First and foremost you're bending your elbows at the beginning, during and at the end of the lockout, that's no good. Keep a firm grip (I prefer mixed grip but to each their own) and straighten those arms out brutha!!

Drop that *ss down too, lower those hips, drive from those heels, seemed to have the weight a bit on your toes at times... need to keep it on the heels, toes only bring back ache!!

Keep your head facing up too, chest high, and dig downward, rather than thinking of it as picking weight upward.

That's me... next?.

NOW THAT I COMMENTED HERE you must read the CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH THREAD and give your thoughts on what would happen in that room!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Grip-N-Rip
Grip-N-Rip
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Grip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good posts

Chest up, arch your back, drive your heels into the floor and drive your hips through the movement.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 17,216, Level: 83 Points: 17,216, Level: 83 Points: 17,216, Level: 83
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Drop your ass, plant them heels.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

My only issue is with your bent arms. Hips look fine to me, and that amount of rounding is fine IF you train the hell out of your abs and lower back.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
My only issue is with your bent arms. Hips look fine to me, and that amount of rounding is fine IF you train the hell out of your abs and lower back.
I saw the arms as well, but still think the core work was not to par... I'm thinking lighter weight with FLAWLESS form for a few sessions would work.

OP: how flexible are your hamstrings???

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Imagine you have a string on the top of your head, and a giant is lifting you up by your head. This "mental trick" might help your visualize the lift better without your hips coming up. Right now the string is on your hips.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,778, Level: 100 Points: 36,778, Level: 100 Points: 36,778, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Thanks guys. I'm at work at the moment so will digest properly in an hour at lunch and respond in more detail but @ Doc Coll - My hammies are pretty flexible: I can touch toes and beyond.

LtL

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Thanks guys. I'm at work at the moment so will digest properly in an hour at lunch and respond in more detail but @ Doc Coll - My hammies are pretty flexible: I can touch toes and beyond.

LtL
Reason I asked was that a lot of guys have issues properly executing their form on the DL because of hamstring issues with mobility (myself included, hammies are always tight no matter what).

Listen to the advice in this thread mang, you'll be glad you did!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post
First and foremost you're bending your elbows at the beginning, during and at the end of the lockout, that's no good. Keep a firm grip (I prefer mixed grip but to each their own) and straighten those arms out brutha!!

Drop that *ss down too, lower those hips, drive from those heels, seemed to have the weight a bit on your toes at times... need to keep it on the heels, toes only bring back ache!!

Keep your head facing up too, chest high, and dig downward, rather than thinking of it as picking weight upward.

That's me... next?.

NOW THAT I COMMENTED HERE you must read the CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH THREAD and give your thoughts on what would happen in that room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip-N-Rip View Post
Chest up, arch your back, drive your heels into the floor and drive your hips through the movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Drop your ass, plant them heels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Common theme seems to be keeping weight over my heels, ass lower and keeping arms locked. Thanks a lot for looking in on this. I'll keep you all posted as to how I progress. Next deadlift day is Tuesday :lifter:

LtL

Share with Facebook