Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
My Mood: Yeehaw
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine
Default Random Post: Shoulder Injury.

It's serious! If you have or think you may have issues with the shoulder joints, take preventative measures:

-Therapy,
-Stretching often,
-Ice,
-Heat,
-Etc.

I first hurt my shoulder (right side) at 19, then had surgery, then hurt it again at 20 and had surgery again. Why did it get hurt AGAIN?!?!?! Simple: I went back to training too fast, tried doing too much and trained too often. End result= another surgery and recovery period...

Seriously guys take shoulder injuries seriously, it will help you in the long run!

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post
It's serious! If you have or think you may have issues with the shoulder joints, take preventative measures:

-Therapy,
-Stretching often,
-Ice,
-Heat,
-Etc.

I first hurt my shoulder (right side) at 19, then had surgery, then hurt it again at 20 and had surgery again. Why did it get hurt AGAIN?!?!?! Simple: I went back to training too fast, tried doing too much and trained too often. End result= another surgery and recovery period...

Seriously guys take shoulder injuries seriously, it will help you in the long run!
BUMP, my shoulders are healthy but many of my training buddies shoulders are not. I like advice threads!

To add on to the awesomeness of foam rollers, is to have travel sticks as well! (I am too cheap so I just have an old rolling pin but man on man does it work wonders!)

THIS THREAD DELIVERS!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
DocColossus
DocColossus
www.facebook.com/50feetcloser
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
BUMP, my shoulders are healthy but many of my training buddies shoulders are not. I like advice threads!

To add on to the awesomeness of foam rollers, is to have travel sticks as well! (I am too cheap so I just have an old rolling pin but man on man does it work wonders!)

THIS THREAD DELIVERS!
Wait, a rolling pin works as well?!?!?!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

-Therapy,
-Stretching often,
-Ice,
-Heat,
-Etc.

JS i have mentioned to you before that i have shoulder problems, and would like to hear more about your methods for treating a shoulder injury. I personally have trouble lifting my left arm straight over head, once i get to the side of my eyes and behind i get a sharp pain in the joint, also when i get stupid on the bench or over use my shoulder (lots of weight over long periods of time) it becomes basically worthless. I asked ehubbard about it, and his recommendation was to stop barbell benching entirely, but due to my goal of powerlifting (and sheer stubornness) i cant do this.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
JS i have mentioned to you before that i have shoulder problems, and would like to hear more about your methods for treating a shoulder injury. I personally have trouble lifting my left arm straight over head, once i get to the side of my eyes and behind i get a sharp pain in the joint, also when i get stupid on the bench or over use my shoulder (lots of weight over long periods of time) it becomes basically worthless. I asked ehubbard about it, and his recommendation was to stop barbell benching entirely, but due to my goal of powerlifting (and sheer stubornness) i cant do this.
OK first suggestion is a visual: you're laying flat on a flat utility bench, feel planted on the floor, hands holding a 3lb. dumbbell in each of them, your arms straight and hanging at a slight angle by your sides. This is A.

Now, slowly make the motion of a snow angel with your arms, slowly bringing your arms from your sides, to straight over your head. This is B.

Repeat this motion back and forth for 10 reps, do 3 sets of 10.

Next suggestion is to ice after each session. 20 minutes on, whatever off, 20 back on.

Another thing to consider is getting Ibuprofen, 200mg. Take 400mg. before the session(s), and another 400mg after, this should reduce inflammation a bit.

As for your flat bench press, are you using proper form (see Dave Tates 6 week bench press cure video for proper form instruction). Once I really focused on form, the pain was reduced a bit!

Lastly, and most importantly, seek advice from a doctor! Have is scanned (MRI) and go from there! Have to be safe man!!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #16
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
OK first suggestion is a visual: you're laying flat on a flat utility bench, feel planted on the floor, hands holding a 3lb. dumbbell in each of them, your arms straight and hanging at a slight angle by your sides. This is A.

Now, slowly make the motion of a snow angel with your arms, slowly bringing your arms from your sides, to straight over your head. This is B.

Repeat this motion back and forth for 10 reps, do 3 sets of 10.

Next suggestion is to ice after each session. 20 minutes on, whatever off, 20 back on.

Another thing to consider is getting Ibuprofen, 200mg. Take 400mg. before the session(s), and another 400mg after, this should reduce inflammation a bit.

As for your flat bench press, are you using proper form (see Dave Tates 6 week bench press cure video for proper form instruction). Once I really focused on form, the pain was reduced a bit!

Lastly, and most importantly, seek advice from a doctor! Have is scanned (MRI) and go from there! Have to be safe man!!
once my wrist heals (non lifting injury, should be back in a few days) the snow angels will bein making an appearance. I am using proper form, and it does seem to help, but when i use a weight that is to heavy my shoulders seem to pop out from under me, at least thats what happened last time. and as soon as money allows i am going to make a trip to the doc.
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
once my wrist heals (non lifting injury, should be back in a few days) the snow angels will bein making an appearance. I am using proper form, and it does seem to help, but when i use a weight that is to heavy my shoulders seem to pop out from under me, at least thats what happened last time. and as soon as money allows i am going to make a trip to the doc.
Well until you have the $$ I suggest the Ibuprofen and icing for now...

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #18
xKyle10
xKyle10
has no status.
Disciple of Casey Butt
Max Brawn
Points: 4,707, Level: 43 Points: 4,707, Level: 43 Points: 4,707, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

xKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributor

will toss some questions your way...ill go more in depth when i get the time

i want to go into personal training part time, best way to get clients/network? how to convince/start with beginners (particularly females), and keep them motivated? how much should i let them know and how fast should i be throwing them in to bodypart type split as opposed to fullbody types based on compound lifts.

i am training a few friends, i have about 3 on my routine right now, and 2-3 on other routines. mine is a bodypart and since the ones not on my routine are beginners, i have them on a fullbody split 3x a week. its only been a month or two and they want to switch up routines so i gave a basic bodypart split 4 days a week, should i wait a bit?
xKyle10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKyle10 View Post
will toss some questions your way...ill go more in depth when i get the time

i want to go into personal training part time, best way to get clients/network? how to convince/start with beginners (particularly females), and keep them motivated? how much should i let them know and how fast should i be throwing them in to bodypart type split as opposed to fullbody types based on compound lifts.

i am training a few friends, i have about 3 on my routine right now, and 2-3 on other routines. mine is a bodypart and since the ones not on my routine are beginners, i have them on a fullbody split 3x a week. its only been a month or two and they want to switch up routines so i gave a basic bodypart split 4 days a week, should i wait a bit?
Best bet for training is to find a gym that allows you to rent out office space, and NOT have to pay them out every session. Some clubs ask for as much as half of your hourly wages as payment for you using their facility, but others have rental agreements for office space, a friend rents his for $500 a month, he makes that in 3 days. Makes more sense to rent space.

As for keeping clients, that's your thing, you need to establish yourself, find and show them the reasons that they should give their hard earned money to you (especially in this economy where it's tough to ask someone to part ways with their cash). As for keeping them MOTIVATED, there are a million ways man, but I recommend having them set short term goals, have them compete against themselves and their personal bests as often as possible, this will keep them remembering why they're training in the first place, and will keep them hungry for more!

For your friends, I like a fullbody 3x weekly approach actually, keeps them pushing themselves with lower risk of injury, and less laibility to you as their coach.

It takes roughly 6 months to properly study for your ACE certificate, and once you purchase the study info you have one year to complete your testing, so be sure you find the right time to dedicate to this journey, it isn't an easy one, and it gets costly (study booklets and testing can cost as much as $600).

Hope this helped...

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #20
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Wait, a rolling pin works as well?!?!?!
YOU BETCHA, although I almost broke mine already so I fortified it with a layer of saran wrap as to not taint it and a big layer of duct tape to make it stronger. The travel sticks are great but to $$$ for my blood. I need to figure out how to make them.

For those with some cash to burn try out the monster stick.

Of course you can always use tennis balls as a cheap alternative too.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook