Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
My Mood: Yeehaw
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine
Default 10 years training: this I give to you. Advice from my training experience.

It was suggested by BTB that I have a thread posting my lifes training experience, the ups and downs, do's and don'ts, the dieting, the multiple forms of training and competition...etc. What I'm going to do is just post misc. info from the years, and comment back to the feedback regarding what I said, or I'll answer whatever questions you guys and gals have for me...

Think of this thread as an open forum of Q&A for/from The Doc.

I have years of personal insight and experience in:

dieting down
bulking up
really bulking up
shoulder injury
back injury
hip problems
physical therapy
body building competition
bodybuilding dieting
supplements
gear
strongman competition
deflecting questions/comments about the legitimacy of my size (gear or no gear)
advising new weight lifters
advising seasoned weight lifters
training women
training high school athletes
etc.

Honestly I didn't really know what to put up there, basically just ask me whatever and I'll give you my $.02 on it from my personal experience.

Like I said I'll post misc info throughout this thread as it goes on, but I would like to keep it a Q&A type format. Ask away...

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

In.

im sure you mentioned this before, but:

What are your Best Lifts (including powerlifting lifts and strongman)?
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
BigTallOx
BigTallOx
MOTIVATED!
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Cool. Kind of the same thing as the article working on which is basically things that I've learned from my 20 years of lifting.

I see hip problems listed. I have some hip problems, and I'm curious what you have to say.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I need to get your interview up and linked in this thread so guys can learn a bit more about you...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,312, Level: 92 Points: 22,312, Level: 92 Points: 22,312, Level: 92
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I also get a lot of hip soreness and would like to know how you dealt with hip problems??

I would like to do some preventative care, so it does not become worse in the future.

What is your favorite kind of competition?? I see that you have done PL, BB, and strongman, so which do you like more?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
DocColossus
DocColossus
www.facebook.com/50feetcloser
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
In.

im sure you mentioned this before, but:

What are your Best Lifts (including powerlifting lifts and strongman)?
My strongest lifts year round are my flat bench press ranging 3-5 reps or so, and my tire flip, I do VERY well with the tire flip, for both time and distance/total flips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
Cool. Kind of the same thing as the article working on which is basically things that I've learned from my 20 years of lifting.

I see hip problems listed. I have some hip problems, and I'm curious what you have to say.
I had some minor hip issues before the surgery on my back, simple stuff, like soreness on rainy days...etc. During my 5 day stay on the hospital bed that was far too small for me I developed an inflammation in my hips that became concerning to the doctors, so they checked it (the left) out and told me I was likely born with and have lived with hip dysplasia (spelling?). This pissed me off because I had told my primary doctor about my hip soreness and he chalked it up to dead lifting, hack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I need to get your interview up and linked in this thread so guys can learn a bit more about you...
Yeah do it up man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I also get a lot of hip soreness and would like to know how you dealt with hip problems??

I would like to do some preventative care, so it does not become worse in the future.

What is your favorite kind of competition?? I see that you have done PL, BB, and strongman, so which do you like more?
As for the hip maintenance/preventative maintenance, I say it starts with the hamstrings and quads, use a foam roller as often as possible, as painful as it may be it loosens things up down there and allows more mobility when stretching out pre workout/event(s). Also, be sure to do hip stretches/groin stretches often, and some supporting movements to keep them strong (I prefer fire hydrants or mountain climbers).

My favorite kind of competition is one where the prize is the last thing on everyone's mind, athlete and spectator alike, where people just enjoy the events of the show, preferably strongman events. Just love strongman, always have!

I have done PL but not in formal comp., just on the Forta bench at the strongman gym, competing against the other guys/myself. I have done strongman in competition, and bodybuilding in competition, and can say they have 2 different forms of satisfaction! Bodybuilding is a long process, 12-17 weeks of dropping weight, counting every calorie..etc. The end result is something aesthetically pleasing and something to be proud of. Strongman involves as much raw power and awkward technique as you can muster, where you stand alone under unbelievably heavy objects and have to move them multiple times. Basically, the more reps/weight you move in front of the crowd, the bigger baddass you feel like. It's a glorious feeling to know you're lifting for reps what others may not be able to move even once...

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Interview with the Doc:

Interview With Strongman Competitor Doc Colossus

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thanks bud!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post
Thanks bud!
Thank you Hercules.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
DocColossus
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thank you Hercules.
Happy to do one whenever you're interested... wouldn't mind sponsorship through M&B either by the way... I am sort of like a walking billboard...

Share with Facebook