Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
Thanks gl and btb okay i want to ask is the setup im going to use be okay.
NOW THIS IS WHAT I WOULD PUT IN FOR WORKOUT A IF ITS NOT WORTH CRAP GUYS I ACCEPT ANY ACCOMODATIONS TO THIS I TAKE ALL ADVICE.
back squats 5x5
wide grip pull ups 5x5
bench press 5x5
wrist curls 2x10
leg press 2x20 now my legs are fairly strong on this my max is 605 may not be much for you guys but its a fair amount for me but i rarely use that much for leg work i would usually work up to about 405 that still may be to much for a leg press

workout b is the same with exercises except front squat and rows i will do these no subs for these
Just laying this out to make sure we have it nailed down:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Wide grip pull ups 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Leg press 2x20

Workout B
Front squats 5x5
Barbell rows 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Leg press 2x20

Overall, It's a solid approach. My first concern is the leg press. There is a strong chance you will over-work your quads/legs doing 6 heavy leg exercises per week.

I would alternate Front Squats and Leg Press from workout to workout, so your leg workouts look like this:

Workout A - Squats 5x5
Workout B - Front Squats 5x5
Workout A - Squats 5x5
Workout B - Leg Press

Another option would be to drop front squats completely and just use leg press. I like the inclusion of front squats though, because they provide more indirect some lower back work, which I think is essential for all athletes. Of course, the squat works the lower back as well, so passing on it is a possibility.

You could also get creative and do a 3x5 for front squats, and then cap off with 2x20 on leg press.

As far as I understand it, Reg Park's 5x5 includes one set at 60% and one at 80%. As follows:

120 x 5
160 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5

So for front squats, you could do:

120 x 5
160 x 5
200 x 5

...and then do your leg presses.

Now, on to the next concern...lack of overhead pressing. You need strong delts, and should do benches on Workout A, and some form of military press on Workout B...like this:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Wide grip pull ups 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Leg press 2x20

Workout B
Front squats 3x5
Leg press 2x20
Military press 5x5
Barbell rows 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just laying this out to make sure we have it nailed down:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Wide grip pull ups 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Leg press 2x20

Workout B
Front squats 5x5
Barbell rows 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Leg press 2x20

Overall, It's a solid approach. My first concern is the leg press. There is a strong chance you will over-work your quads/legs doing 6 heavy leg exercises per week.

I would alternate Front Squats and Leg Press from workout to workout, so your leg workouts look like this:

Workout A - Squats 5x5
Workout B - Front Squats 5x5
Workout A - Squats 5x5
Workout B - Leg Press

Another option would be to drop front squats completely and just use leg press. I like the inclusion of front squats though, because they provide more indirect some lower back work, which I think is essential for all athletes. Of course, the squat works the lower back as well, so passing on it is a possibility.

You could also get creative and do a 3x5 for front squats, and then cap off with 2x20 on leg press.

As far as I understand it, Reg Park's 5x5 includes one set at 60% and one at 80%. As follows:

120 x 5
160 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5

So for front squats, you could do:

120 x 5
160 x 5
200 x 5

...and then do your leg presses.

Now, on to the next concern...lack of overhead pressing. You need strong delts, and should do benches on Workout A, and some form of military press on Workout B...like this:

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Wide grip pull ups 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Leg press 2x20

Workout B
Front squats 3x5
Leg press 2x20
Military press 5x5
Barbell rows 5x5
Wrist curls 2x10
Okay btb I get what you are saying i just need to vary it and make sure i dont overwork my lega and make sure i add some type of overhead presssing. Man i cannot wait to get back in the gym baseball is my life but i tell you as soon as school ends and i start college im gonna be on the weights more than anything. Lol even though im not a beast who can do 500 on deads ***cough btb cough*** I can see why you guys like the gym so much man i miss it so bad lol. BTB i was very impressed in the thread when i saw you deadlift 500 no it was actually over 500 nice job.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
Okay btb I get what you are saying i just need to vary it and make sure i dont overwork my lega and make sure i add some type of overhead presssing. Man i cannot wait to get back in the gym baseball is my life but i tell you as soon as school ends and i start college im gonna be on the weights more than anything. Lol even though im not a beast who can do 500 on deads ***cough btb cough*** I can see why you guys like the gym so much man i miss it so bad lol. BTB i was very impressed in the thread when i saw you deadlift 500 no it was actually over 500 nice job.
Thanks Coop. Though guys like me and all the experienced lifters make it look easy, it was a long road. The first step is always learning to enjoy what you're doing. Some guys just do it for "abs" and "guns"...and it's hard to make any progress if you do it for show, and not for the love of the iron.

I look forward to seeing you hit this program. It is extremely effective, and with you eating right, you will be a beast soon enough. Just take one day at a time, stick with a program, and trust in the process.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
CoopDawg
CoopDawg
goin beast mode
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
My Mood: Aggressive
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Coop. Though guys like me and all the experienced lifters make it look easy, it was a long road. The first step is always learning to enjoy what you're doing. Some guys just do it for "abs" and "guns"...and it's hard to make any progress if you do it for show, and not for the love of the iron.

I look forward to seeing you hit this program. It is extremely effective, and with you eating right, you will be a beast soon enough. Just take one day at a time, stick with a program, and trust in the process.
Your welcome man. And no i never do it for show or the guns i want the strength and the size that comes with will be nice to but i mainly do it because i like the workouts and soreness after a good workout. Thanks for the encouragement im going to give it my all.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook