Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor
Default Starr on low rep training

very good article, and even gives a nice little template

Low-Rep Lowdown | Iron Man Magazine | www.ironmanmagazine.com
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks Grim. I am going to read it and post some good quotes from the article.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Grim. I am going to read it and post some good quotes from the article.
have fun, if i tried to do it, i would have had to quote the whole thing lol
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Low vs. High reps...

Quote:
The contention is that low reps are a great deal riskier than higher reps on any exercise. That isnít true. In many instances, in fact, higher reps pose a greater degree of risk than lower ones. When athletes attempt to do, say, 10 reps on an exercise and are handling as much weight as possible, they typically tire as they reach the eighth, ninth and 10th reps. When they become fatigued, they begin to use faulty form and can get hurt rather easily if they persist in doing the movement incorrectly. Thatís especially true in the early stages of training, before they have built up a solid strength base.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
have fun, if i tried to do it, i would have had to quote the whole thing lol
I'm only going to quote 2/3rds...in small chunks

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I should just put the new article RSS feed in the forum. I have all T-nations articles appearing here.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Bodybuilders and low reps:

Quote:
Many of my athletes who have finished their eligibility have told me that theyíre no longer interested in pure strength work. They just want to maintain a certain level of overall fitness and keep a decent build. Bodybuilders tell me the same thing. Keeping the joints protected from injury, however, is critical to everyone, not only to those playing sports. We need strong ankles, knees, hips, shoulders and backs throughout our lives. Bodybuilders need to understand that the process of getting larger muscles is directly linked to strength. High reps are excellent for shaping muscles that are already there, but to obtain them in the first place, they need to make lower reps part of the program.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

So Starr is saying that low rep work strengthens joints and protects from injury which is the opposite of what is generally preached in a good portion of muscledom.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Incorporating lower reps:

Quote:
On the subject of bodybuilders, letís say an aspiring bodybuilder wants to pack more muscle on his shoulders and arms, which is always high on anyoneís wish list. So he does a variety of exercises for his biceps, triceps and deltoids using no fewer than 10 reps and sometimes as many as 20. If he works hard, he will indeed achieve a higher degree of definition in those groups, although nothing much in size. The muscles will be better shaped but still smallónot what he wants. Thatís because the attachments havenít been brought into the mix.

Our bodybuilder needs to select a few primary movements for his arms and shoulders and attack them with lower reps. That will make those bodyparts considerably stronger. Exercises such as overhead presses, flat benches, incline benches and weighted dips would work well. At the same time he should be gulping down protein shakes and getting lots of rest to help those abused muscles and corresponding attachments grow. Once the desired size is obtained, he can go back to the higher reps to sculpt the new growth. From there specific exercisesódifferent angles of curls, triceps pushdowns, straight-armed pullovers, lateral and frontal raisesówill produce the effect heís seeking: large, well-defined shoulders and arms. Thatís the way itís always been done and the way it has to be doneóthat is, unless a person is willing to go on the juice, which is not only foolish but proof positive that heís too lazy to follow the difficult route to success.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

More...

Quote:
One of the main reasons I put lower reps into routines is that they force athletes to concentrate harder on using correct technique; form has to be more precise than with higher reps. They also require a higher degree of determination. For many athletes itís the very first time that theyíre placed in a position where success or failure depends entirely on them. Itís an individual effort, not a team event. So theyíre forced to reach deep into their fortitude department and find out how much grit they really possess. Learning to apply themselves 100 percent to moving a heavy weight through a range of motion without any assistance is a rewarding experience, and while thatís especially true on a max single, it also applies to doing heavy triples and doubles because there is no margin of error. Miss or make: Itís all up to you.

Winning the battle with a new number for a triple, double or single is extremely motivating, and thatís why so many strength athletes become addicted to the discipline. There are few situations in life when people are in complete control of the outcome of what theyíre trying to accomplish. Weight training is one of them.

Thatís yet another reason I donít like high-rep routines. You donít get the same satisfaction in moving an exercise for 10 reps that you get when you break a personal record for a single, double or triple. Saying, ďI benched 225 for 10,Ē doesnít have the same ring to it as, ďI benched 300 for a single.Ē

Share with Facebook