Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Lyle McDonald vs. Mark Rippetoe

**** You, Mark
Mark,

I went out of my way to try to schedule coming up to Witchita Falls to do the podcast interview. When the scheduling changed, it was actually out of my way (taking me the wrong direction from where I was travelling) to come up. But I said I would do it and I was going to.

So imagine my surprise to get a pathetically worded email from you last night that 'since this is out of hand' and you 'don't feel comfortable doing an interview', I should make other traveling plans.

You've ****ed my entire trip. And why? Because sa bunch of your illiterate nutswinging forumites took something I said totally out of context and started a war with me.

And because you have clearly reached that point in the game where you are above criticism. So instead of facing whatever I had to say like a man, you punked out like a slackjawed faggot (to use a Texas phrase). Pathetic, just pathetic.

We both know that yoru claims about Zach's results are total bull****. If he gained that much muscle, that means that Starting Strenght + GOMAD is BETTER THAN ****ING STEROIDS. I mean, **** that's as bad as T-nation.

And those squat numbers? Where's the video to show that his form is anything but ****? I got lots of excuses on the support forum but we both know that what coaches say and what happens in the gym isn't the same. You put up other video so why haven't you shown Zach's awesome squat form with 345X5 or whatever it is?

I'll tell you why, b/c you know it sucks. You could prove me wrong in about 5 minutes but you won't. And you couldn't deal with me in an interview because you know deep down you're full of ****ing ****.

But instead of being a man, you ****ed my entire trip by cancelling like a little bitch. I fully expect you to delete this thread and ban me from the forum. That's what folks like you start doing when they can't handle the heat (note that NONE of your retarded little forum people have been banned from my forum). But you'll ban me and delete this before too many people see it. That's what you've become: a pathetic old man who can't handle criticism of any sort.

I still think Starting Strength and Practical Programming are good books.

Go **** yourself, Mark.
Lyle

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It's so nice to have 2 major players in the natural game after each other.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
CallmeKing
CallmeKing
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Drunk
CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Did you read my thread about them? IMO Lyle > Rip
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
Did you read my thread about them? IMO Lyle > Rip
Where's the thread? Here? or there?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
CallmeKing
CallmeKing
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Drunk
CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...is-client.html
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
Thanks for the link. That must have scrolled by before I saw it. Checking out the links.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

While I don't care to take sides, I do see that Lyle is stating that it's darn near impossible to double your squat in 6 months.

I squatted for the first time in college in November, 1986. This was my first serious go-around with weights other than my concrete set at home, and I never squatted.

My first real workout on squats was (give or take) about 135 for reps, probably no more than 4 to 6. I remember these times because I was pathetically weak. My first bench press was with 95 pounds and I hit failure at about rep 4.

I looked extremely dangerous under the bar - like I would kill myself. It was then that my future mentor noticed my foolishness, and began giving me squat tips and advice.

I fell in love with the squat, performed it about twice a week, and by April of '87 (about 5 to 6 months), I was hitting 315 for reps on the squat. From '87 to the end of 1988, my squat progressed to 365 for reps. I then entered the military.

So, I can say with confidence that my squat doubled in less than 6 months. I had a good coach that taught me lessons about hip drive, etc. that I still think about on every squat set coming out of the hole.

I understand that I am the exception, and not the rule. I doubled my squat in a short period of time. I also put on quite a bit of LBM during this time.

But to back Lyle, in would be nearly impossible to gain 33 pounds of muscle in 15 weeks. I have not seen Zach's before picture, but I assume he was underweight. I don't believe that as a body normalizes its weight that all the gains are muscle. There has to be more issues as play when underweight, such as a lessened bone density, etc.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I just checked the Zach update thread:

Zach Update - Starting Strength Forums

It is claimed that Zach ended with 191.3 pounds of LBM. That would give him 13 more pounds of muscle then me, and he should rival Reg Park. Does he look as big as me? And he's surely nowhere near Park.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Wow....them's some fightin words around here..
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,579, Level: 100 Points: 36,579, Level: 100 Points: 36,579, Level: 100
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Just read through some of the other threads across the 'net on this subject and my favourite quote from Lyle:

Quote:
Imagine if someone used Anaconda while doing this programme!!!
LOL'd

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook