Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
CallmeKing
CallmeKing
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Drunk
CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
easy money for CMK since hes the only one who know who the **** this guys is
the dude was so stupid anyways I forget his username he deleted his thread after he got flamed. He kept saying legs are so uselss that they are pointless etc.
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
the dude was so stupid anyways I forget his username he deleted his thread after he got flamed. He kept saying legs are so uselss that they are pointless etc.
hahaha, got to love bb.com

arent you glad i showed you the way to MAB
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
JBlack16
JBlack16
is lifting heavy weight
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,155, Level: 28 Points: 2,155, Level: 28 Points: 2,155, Level: 28

JBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributorJBlack16 is a consistent contributor

I enjoy training my legs, although I am still working on my squat form, I enjoy doing deadlifts. Also been told I have been getting a butt. Since we are on this topic, what are some good calve exercises, mine are sticks. I remember when I had the big volume routine, i did calve raises and such and did not like doing those.
JBlack16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
CallmeKing
CallmeKing
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Drunk
CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

My calves suck also. I really like calf raises on the leg press and smith machine. Much better than seated calf raises or on the machine imo have you tried those?
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
My calves suck also. I really like calf raises on the leg press and smith machine. Much better than seated calf raises or on the machine imo have you tried those?
^ ditto.
I warm up with seated calve raises. Screw standing machine raises because the pads leave nasty stretch-mark looking bruises on my shoulders/traps.

Leg press and hack squat machines are the way to go, I like to load it up and mini-squat to a jump.

Also look into plyometrics.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I did a ton of high step-ups (12 inches+) in my teens and I really believed they help with calf and quad size later when I hit the weights. I would do these suckers 30 to 60 minutes a day, 4 to 5 times a week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
Mombow111
Mombow111
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Similarly I ran, like up to 2 hrs straight a day.. and when my Ipod died and I had to find something to entertain myself I'd focus on isolating particular muscle group to keep me from falling asleep.

Pylo is great, one good exercise that you could even perform mid workout is basically standing on one leg and hopping (change direction to hit the calve from many angles).

Now in terms of machine work, I prefer seated calve raises and I'm a big fan of the partial rep bounce in between reps, I feel I can do just as many reps in that fashion, and it controls for bounce (in a sense). Directly after that I will admit that legpress and hacksquat machines are much more comfortable when working on calves than the calve specific machines they have at my gym.

There's actually a technique I've just started trying out, if you're a fan of negatives give it a shot. On a hacksquat or legpress, do the concentric push motion explosively, follow that by a 5 second negative and when you are in the bottom, unextended position count to 15 seconds and then repeat.

Calves are tricky imo because they are a muscle group that you could seemingly go on to forever (or until you pull something) in reps with a moderate weight, but your form tends to fall to **** when you go for something heavier. My personal favorites for these are restpause sets and drops sets on account that they'll get your calves done quickly and you won't feel like your muscles failed before they could get a new workout or you bailed out to early.
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

My Mood: Aggressive
folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

The thing is...I gotta agree with DocC on this one. The reason this forum is better is because someone should be able to come here and say, "I don't want to train my legs," and not be berated, made fun of, and run out of Dodge (even if he/she is strongly (but politely) advised to rethink their position). Making fun of someone behind their back may not be quite the same...but it's a slippery slope, right?

If we get to the point where we can't be dumb about some things and still garner friendship, understanding and respect, we'll quickly degrade into a bb.com part II.

Not everyone has to want to be Ronnie Coleman. (Extreme example, I know...but you get my point.)
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook