Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

My Mood: Aggressive
folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts
Default Honey

So. Honey. Okay or not okay for cutting? Some diets allow. Some do not? Use sparingly? Stay away? Go to town (as long as within carb macros)?

What are your thoughts?
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
RickB
RickB
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Yeehaw
RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Don't call me honey! EVER!

It doesn't specifically reference cutting, but they seem to like it.....but I don't believe everything i read either:

Quote:
Honey | Many bodybuilders still think that all fast-digesting carbs will make them fat. But honey has been shown to be a highly efficient source of carbohydrates for the restoration of muscle glycogen. Apparently, it digests quickly, yet ultimately does not radically spike insulin levels. That means it is an ideal pre- and posttraining carb source for bodybuilders who struggle to control bodyfat levels. Use honey before or after you work out. Try two tablespoons in a workout shake or added to toasted white bread. Honey also contains potent antioxidants, as well as nitric oxide (NO) components.
Source: Bodybuilding food alternatives: twelve surprising muscle-building foods | Flex | Find Articles at BNET
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Don't call me honey! EVER!

It doesn't specifically reference cutting, but they seem to like it.....but I don't believe everything i read either:

Source: Bodybuilding food alternatives: twelve surprising muscle-building foods | Flex | Find Articles at BNET
Yeah...I've read stuff like that too. But I'm a skeptic. Plus...as you say, doesn't reference cutting.

By the way, the reason I'm asking: We make this mean, super-delicious homemade granola. It uses a bit of oil (we use canola), honey, splenda (now to be stevia as of today), and a bit o' vanilla for the wet mix. We love it, but if the honey's gonna hurt us...might be better to just stick to the oatmeal.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
RickB
RickB
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Yeehaw
RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

This still won't directly address I guess a quantity, but this lady (competitor) says it's acceptable. BTW, you can see her abs year around. We were discussing artificial sweeteners and this is a piece of what she had to say:

Quote:
From what I know most of the research shows that they seem to stimulate the pancreas like sugar does. I avoid them and use mostly natural things to sweeten my food like, fruit, honey or agave nectar
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn

I'm thinking it's probably okay. But I'm paranoid and haven't been reaching my goals...so paranoid with reason...and don't want to introduce something that'll make things even harder.

Thanks

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
I'm thinking it's probably okay. But I'm paranoid and haven't been reaching my goals...so paranoid with reason...and don't want to introduce something that'll make things even harder.

Thanks
F the honey. If your cutting then why add unnecessary calories?
(unless your going to cave in to hunger and desperately need the change/addition of flavor)
Do it for two weeks then make the call if its worth it.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
F the honey. If your cutting then why add unnecessary calories?
(unless your going to cave in to hunger and desperately need the change/addition of flavor)
Do it for two weeks then make the call if its worth it.
Are they unnecessary? We need so many grams of carbs a day. Cannot a bit of those grams be honey. Honey isn't empty calories like white sugar. Right? That's my thought.

But, yeah...trying it out may be the only option.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Honey used to be a staple in a lot of old school diets. If you like it I would work it in.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Honey used to be a staple in a lot of old school diets. If you like it I would work it in.
Yeah. Especially if I can't use Splenda.

As I see it...gulp down 30 grams of oatmeal plain...bleh...or...20 grams of oatmeal with 10 grams of honey...mmmmmm, yummy.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
ole grunt
ole grunt
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

My Mood: Mellow
ole grunt is off to a bad start

I read an article a while back that talked about the health benefits of honey, including it's impact on NO and creatine levels (which I had never heard before). Anyway, if your bulking or maintaining, I dont see why not, if you're cutting, I guess it just depends on what your macros look like, and as you pointed out, its prolly better for you than any sugar substitute created in a lab rather than created in nature like honey is. BTW it's supposed to be good for your immune system as well. Like another poster stated though, I dont believe everything I read, but I have read alot of good press on honey.
ole grunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook