Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
Grip-N-Rip
Grip-N-Rip
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

My Mood: Yeehaw
Grip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Oh, god! Please. When you carry larger amounts of lean body mass, it is much much harder to eat clean and gain weight. Especially if you have an ulcer. I hear what you are saying but to bemoan someone who endulges in a little calorie dense food here and there is a little short sided. Besides, dont you weight 165? Don't make me call you out, ala Matt Rhodes. Let us fatties enjoy or cake and eat yours too.

P.S. Tony - Since I know you live close to BJs I HIGHLY recommend the Wellesley Farm Chocolate Chunk Cookies. To further enhance your tasty treat, remember to microwave those little ****ers for 15-20 sec.
Dude, you can call me out all you want. Yes, I do wiegh somewhere in the ball park of 165, but in the 170's at the moment (came from 103 lb a few years ago, so fee free to call me out bud)

I am not saying I do not enjoy getting off my regular eating habits, but I find it a bit misleading when someone thinks that in order for them to gain wieght when a plateau is hit, that depending on junk food is the best option. TO gain weight YES it is, but is it the most healthiest, NOT AT ALL.

Also, you dont know my past, what I have went throught the past couple years with my health/weight/heart/thryoid and etc. but if you did, I think you would have different view on my weight, ot be honest.

But I am not going to sit hit and tell any of you my story to make people think I want to be felt bad for. Not here for that.

One more thing, I do realize that the more LBM you have, the higher the food intake is. It is common sense. So why not just eat more?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip-N-Rip View Post
Dude, you can call me out all you want. Yes, I do wiegh somewhere in the ball park of 165, but in the 170's at the moment (came from 103 lb a few years ago, so fee free to call me out bud)

I am not saying I do not enjoy getting off my regular eating habits, but I find it a bit misleading when someone thinks that in order for them to gain wieght when a plateau is hit, that depending on junk food is the best option. TO gain weight YES it is, but is it the most healthiest, NOT AT ALL.

Also, you dont know my past, what I have went throught the past couple years with my health/weight/heart/thryoid and etc. but if you did, I think you would have different view on my weight, ot be honest.

But I am not going to sit hit and tell any of you my story to make people think I want to be felt bad for. Not here for that.

One more thing, I do realize that the more LBM you have, the higher the food intake is. It is common sense. So why not just eat more?
Geez, I was just busting your chops. And yes, any man under 200 lbs is a women. Again, busting your chops. No need to get defensive.

Why dont I eat more food? I do actually, my view is food should be ENJOYED. Don't be stupid and eat **** all the time because that is stupid. My problem is with the people who complain about gaining weight and dont do a ****ing thing about it or more likely LIE about what they are doing. If you want to gain weight, EAT MORE CALORIES. However you want to do that is up to you. For me, I try and balance eating healthy foods with things that I ENJOY eating. Preaching that people have to eat clean to gain weight is not the way to go about presenting your side of the argument. Yes it is an option and yes it is healthier, but for many people it is a much less effective route, particularly for those on a budget. You also, assume that people that eat unhealthy foods gain body fat. There are plenty of people that eat crappy food all the time and do not get fat for various reasons. Additionally, it may have occured to you that gaining BF may actually be part of some peoples goals. Powerlifting is not healthy either but I still do it because I love it.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

All I can speak from is personal experience. I started at around 5'10", 145 to 150 with a lightning fast metabolism. I spent my teen years eating crazy food. My mom remembers one night I ate 15 tacos at a sitting.

At that time, there was no way I could eat all clean and get my calories. In addition, I couldn't afford to eat completely clean. I was a college kid with lower class parents who had little money. My cafeteria at school offered two main dishes at each meal, and they weren't exactly chicken and broccoli, if you know what I mean.

One thing college did provide was "all I could eat". I drank 3 glasses of whole milk with each meal, and ate as much as I could. At dinner time I finished with 2 to 4 pieces of cheese cake. They almost always had cheese cake for dessert.

I'm not sure if I could have eaten 4000+ calories a day of clean food. At least I'm guessing that's what I ate. Right now I maintain weight around 3400.

Many times when clean vs. dirty is talked about, it's almost positioned as an "either-or". But I think realistically most of the dirty eaters eat a good portion of clean food, and may get 25 to 35% of calories from dirtier foods.

Personally, food and cooking is something I enjoy, and even when I'm cutting I rarely eating perfectly clean at night for my bigger meal. My kids love to cook, and I share that passion with them.

I respect guys who go all out and eat clean. Personally, I just don't want to eat all clean. I make some wicked soups and pies, and every now and I enjoy that aspect of my life.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

My Mood: Aggressive
folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

I think it's hard for some folk to keep in mind that their agenda is not everyone's agenda. Eat according to your agenda. I am in agreement with those who are saying it's annoying to have someone complain about not being able to put on weight who then refuse to eat. But to suggest cheeseburgers and pizza isn't necessarilly going to fit with that person's agenda either.

Unquestionably, to put on weight, you have to eat! No debate there, right? But to presumet that someone who wants to put on weight is totally cool with putting on a bunch of fat too isn't fair. You could just as easily turn it around and say it's not fair for a person who worries about the fat telling a powerlifter that they need to eat cleaner so they have abs when the power lifter could care less about abs.

It's not fair for one person's agenda to be huge to impose that agenda on someone else who's agenda is to be moderately slim with some muscle. One views the one as a wuss (or, insert a bunch of other insulting type names here that refer to less than masculine) and the other views the other as a meathead (or other ogre-type insults). Nonsense. We don't all have to want the same thing.

There's nothing wrong with someone trying to put on weight while eating "junkfood". And there's nothing wrong with someone who's worried about fat eating "cleanly". I think both sides of the issue have merit...but they're both tied to agenda.

I want to put on muscle, yes. But I'm not willing to do it at the expense of tons of bodyfat. So be it. If that means I can't gain as much muscle or that it will take me a lot longer, there it is. Have I complained about not being able to put on muscle easily. Sure. Some guys put on muscle easy. I wish I were one of them. So I've complained. I understand that if I were willing I could drink whole milk, eat a bunch of cheese, down a gallon of peanut butter a day, gorge out on burgers and pizza and put on a lot of muscle. I'm not willing to take the fat that goes with it. That's okay. Nothing wrong with that. I still wish I was more like my brother who has 20 lbs of muscle on me without working out at all...and, in my darker moments, I sometimes complain about the fact that I'm not like that. But the last thing I want to hear in response to my complaint is, "go eat a cheeseburger." Just sayin'.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
MMA Max
MMA Max
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Anyone under 200lbs is a women? My Fight weight is 185lbs, I guess when I am fighting I am a women.

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
Grip-N-Rip
Grip-N-Rip
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

My Mood: Yeehaw
Grip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Geez, I was just busting your chops. And yes, any man under 200 lbs is a women. Again, busting your chops. No need to get defensive.

Why dont I eat more food? I do actually, my view is food should be ENJOYED. Don't be stupid and eat **** all the time because that is stupid. My problem is with the people who complain about gaining weight and dont do a ****ing thing about it or more likely LIE about what they are doing. If you want to gain weight, EAT MORE CALORIES. However you want to do that is up to you. For me, I try and balance eating healthy foods with things that I ENJOY eating. Preaching that people have to eat clean to gain weight is not the way to go about presenting your side of the argument. Yes it is an option and yes it is healthier, but for many people it is a much less effective route, particularly for those on a budget. You also, assume that people that eat unhealthy foods gain body fat. There are plenty of people that eat crappy food all the time and do not get fat for various reasons. Additionally, it may have occured to you that gaining BF may actually be part of some peoples goals. Powerlifting is not healthy either but I still do it because I love it.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.
No offense was taking man. Also, when I was PL I LOVED it when was getting very competitive but really was a strain on my heart. So I have decided to take a break and focus on gaining LBM at this time.

My best lifts at 165 all raw:
Squat: 400
Deadlift: 480
Bench: 320

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #27
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good post FP...the devil is in the details. It's virtually impossible to add muscle without adding some fat. In general, the more fat you are willing to add, the more you open the door to expedited muscle growth. But with this said, I don't believe we're talking about adding 50 pounds of fat to gain 3 pounds of muscle. I think it's more like...

Lifter A wants to gain 8 pounds of muscle and is willing to gain 8 pounds of fat.

Lifter B wants to gain 8 pounds of muscle but doesn't want to gain more than 2 pounds of fat.

Lifter B will probably go with a clean bulk and get there eventually. But I believe if Lifter A is genetically the same, he will get to his goal faster.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #28
MMA Max
MMA Max
has no status.
Max Brawn

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

CLean Bulk all the way, with a pizza and beer every now and then

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #29
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Pie, cheesburgers, and pizza. This thread delivers!

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
MMA Max
MMA Max
has no status.
Max Brawn

Good ****! I love Pizza! I love cold pizza after sex!

Share with Facebook