Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

trying to get an opinion before i buy these tonight
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
bwys61
bwys61
can i get a status
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Amused
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

How much do they help with lifts? (i know you cant give exact numbers, just generally speaking)

Knee Wraps: how much would they help with a squat?

they can help tremendously if wrapped properly, but they can also hinder if used incorrectly. I do not train with them. I only compete with them. If i "free" squatted often, I may consider it. Use your $$ with m&S to get something else. I have some wraps that I just posted that you can get cheaper if absolutely necessary

do they help deads? No

Belt: will it help a deads and squats go up, or just give more support (maybe make less likely of getting off balance or leaning forward on squat)?

Both. You have to learn to press out with the abs, and you will be golden.

Knee Sleves: will they bring numbers up or just help keep joints warm? Both, but will only bring #'s up minimally. Probably a better consideration for training purposes as opposed to wraps

Also same question for elbow sleves? Both, but will definitely save the elbow joints if you are close to overtraining, and you can load the chest and tri's a little more

Wrist Wraps (dont plan on getting, just curious)

These are a staple for me. My wrists couldn't handle the consistent loading of all of my lifts if I didn't support them. I try not to use them unless the loads are pretty heavy

I have money to muscle and strength.... Are any of these good/worth buying?

this is the only belt they have (besides the **** kind), is it decent (its so cheap i cant see it being very good): Valeo Competition Classic Lifting Belt - With Memory Foam! On Sale! | Muscle & Strength

NO

knee wraps, will they get it done: RTO Sportsgear Standard Knee Wrap - Knee Suppport! | Muscle & Strength

NO

sleves Valeo Closed Patella Knee Support - Support Your Knee! On Sale! | Muscle & Strength

??
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
kman025
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Thanks for the reply. When I get a way to order so
e real wraps and a belt I will.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #14
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Everything will help you if you believe it does. Order there knee wraps, they are the most comfortable ones you can get. Inzers, Titans, big name brands give way to much support for raw lifters just trying to protect there knees.

Get a good economy powerlifting belt if your serious about lifting heavy, and invest in neoprene elbow/knee sleeves, to keep your joints warm and healthy.

Also invest in a good pair of wrist wraps.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
JesseA
JesseA
has no status.
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

You could try Tommy Kono knee sleeves, or Rehband's. They aren't going to make you lift more, but help keep the joint in good shape.

Get a real belt though, like an Inzer or EliteFTS power belt. However, you shouldn't "Need" a belt. If you're feeling pain, your form is wrong. A belt isn't going to prevent pain. It will assist with the lift by giving you the ability to push your abs into the belt creating a very tight core.

Wrist wraps are a must for me on heavy bench, but may consider using on other lifts also.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
DocColossus
DocColossus
www.facebook.com/50feetcloser
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
My Mood: Yeehaw
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

My experience with all of the following:

Knee Wraps/Sleeves: Never tried sleeves, just Inzer wraps. I like them, I feel safe with them, joints feel stable and most of all they're kept warm between sets, no stiffness during the following sets... They don't restrict mobility all that much and are affordable.

Elbow Wraps/Sleeves: I bought elbow sleeves, size xxxl, they were too smal, on competition day I couldn't get them on my arms, they were just too small, lame. I had tried them before comp. day and knew there was an issue, so I bought elbow wraps, THEY were too small... So... I use the elbow sleeves for nothing, wasted, never worn, and the elbow wraps for wrist wraps on occasion, although I like my other wrist wraps better.

Wrist Wraps: LOVE THEM! I never workout without them, even on leg days, if I try and train without them I feel drafty and lacking, I alwas have them. They give support and keep the wrists warm between sets...safer.

Belt: I had an economy belt (meaning it was bought at a sports store not a specialty co. like Inzer), and it did the trick, but the Inzer lifting belt I have is top notch! Keeps strict form, keeps pressure from the gut back towards the lower back (as it should) and it is stiff, no bending or warping, it's a quality belt that does its job!

Chalk: Helps with grip, no doubt there, always have it with me.

Wrist Straps: they help with grip, otherwise I wouldn't be doing barbell shrugs with 800lb+ haha... They are awesome for going beyond your grips ability, but don't use them unless you have to, strengthen that grip before depending on those!!!!

Anyways that's MY personal experience.... take it or leave it!
DocColossus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
kman025
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Everything will help you if you believe it does. Order there knee wraps, they are the most comfortable ones you can get. Inzers, Titans, big name brands give way to much support for raw lifters just trying to protect there knees.

Get a good economy powerlifting belt if your serious about lifting heavy, and invest in neoprene elbow/knee sleeves, to keep your joints warm and healthy.

Also invest in a good pair of wrist wraps.
thanks man. i will get a real belt soon, just to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
You could try Tommy Kono knee sleeves, or Rehband's. They aren't going to make you lift more, but help keep the joint in good shape.

Get a real belt though, like an Inzer or EliteFTS power belt. However, you shouldn't "Need" a belt. If you're feeling pain, your form is wrong. A belt isn't going to prevent pain. It will assist with the lift by giving you the ability to push your abs into the belt creating a very tight core.

Wrist wraps are a must for me on heavy bench, but may consider using on other lifts also.
no pain, just would like to have it. so far all my lifts are beltless
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post

Knee Wraps/Sleeves: Never tried sleeves, just Inzer wraps. I like them, I feel safe with them, joints feel stable and most of all they're kept warm between sets, no stiffness during the following sets... They don't restrict mobility all that much and are affordable.

Elbow Wraps/Sleeves: I bought elbow sleeves, size xxxl, they were too smal, on competition day I couldn't get them on my arms, they were just too small, lame. I had tried them before comp. day and knew there was an issue, so I bought elbow wraps, THEY were too small... So... I use the elbow sleeves for nothing, wasted, never worn, and the elbow wraps for wrist wraps on occasion, although I like my other wrist wraps better.

Wrist Wraps: LOVE THEM! I never workout without them, even on leg days, if I try and train without them I feel drafty and lacking, I alwas have them. They give support and keep the wrists warm between sets...safer.

Belt: I had an economy belt (meaning it was bought at a sports store not a specialty co. like Inzer), and it did the trick, but the Inzer lifting belt I have is top notch! Keeps strict form, keeps pressure from the gut back towards the lower back (as it should) and it is stiff, no bending or warping, it's a quality belt that does its job!

Chalk: Helps with grip, no doubt there, always have it with me.

Wrist Straps: they help with grip, otherwise I wouldn't be doing barbell shrugs with 800lb+ haha... They are awesome for going beyond your grips ability, but don't use them unless you have to, strengthen that grip before depending on those!!!!

yeah chalks a must. i got boxes and boxes lol.
got straps too.... dont like them for rack pulls or deadlifts.... feels weird, but use them for shrugs.

i'll digest the rest of your post and consider it when i buy everything..... right now saving money for a car/money into it.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post

I wear knee sleeves as elbows sleeves You should do the same
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook