Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

My Mood: Aggressive
folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombow111 View Post
@Folk, heh I take a multi-vitamin daily- does that count? I'll attempt a dirty bulk then but I won't eat more than my appetite will permit (I naturally get satiated at about 3,500).
Heaven forbid just on my word! Like I said, I've struggled too.

Personally, I'm paranoid of the fat. I'd take the 10 years too skinny over the 1 year fat, 1 year cut to perfection.

Anyhow, the point being, consider it. Don't just do it because I said so, right?
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Mombow111
Mombow111
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
Heaven forbid just on my word! Like I said, I've struggled too.

Personally, I'm paranoid of the fat. I'd take the 10 years too skinny over the 1 year fat, 1 year cut to perfection.

Anyhow, the point being, consider it. Don't just do it because I said so, right?
Well it is a valid point, but I'll definetley take to monitoring my energy/strength levels... If my endurance and vitality actually attrit over the course of things, I'll have to adjust everything a bit anyway... Again, I eat intuitively I don't count calories but I have a basic understanding of macronutrient proportions in food and try to keep myself balanced. The first thing my body will probably do when I commence this routine is demand extra deserts from me anyway haha... In the words of famous Oscar Wild, "The one thing I cannot resist, Is temptation."
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Shaolinkiwi
Shaolinkiwi
Back to square 1
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35

My Mood: Busy
Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
@Shaolin Do you have any tips in terms of energy? I'm used to being utterly exhausted from some of the **** I've done (tabata anyone?) but I was wondering if it might be benificial to do a slight carb load before I hit the gym.
If you were to take in some carbs then yea about an hour prework out. Other things that I find to help in recovery is BCAA's pre and post workout.

For energy there are per-workout supps, coffee or as mentioned some minor carb loading.

I've been taking animal cuts lately - gives good clean energy for my workouts but I'm aiming to cut your bulking so go for something like White flood, Juggernaut, Jack3d to name a couple.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
No one particularly renowned, I've just fallen into the schoolboy habit of citing when I paraphrase- the link to the article here, ripped directly from the sight http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...ines-work.html - If I wanted pure mass gain I'd follow it to a T but I also want some functionality out of my gain's which is why I attempted to intensify the entire deal. My goals ultimately are quite simple and commonplace I suppose, to gain strength on my all my lifts while gaining muscle mass- intrinsically why at least 70% of the people are in the gym in the first place. In terms of progress I do such things intuitively giving myself cut-off dates to break certain plateaus and if I still flunk I redistribute my workout concentrations and incorporate new techniques to do so. In terms of motivation, I simply enjoy pushing myself to my limits and I use these short-term goals as a vehicle to do so.
Yes, the problem with the 70% of people that you reference above is that those goals are not quantified, and more specifically they are not broken down into smaller short term goals. To be quite honest, the program matters much less than the effort put into it and the belief that what you are doing will work. But work towards what SPECIFICALLY is more of what I am getting at.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
To be quite honest, the program matters much less than the effort put into it and the belief that what you are doing will work. But work towards what SPECIFICALLY is more of what I am getting at.
^ That is the gospel.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:

1.) Clean & Press with a barbell
Do 4sets of 3 reps like an olympic lifter.

2.) Bench press - triples and doubles

3.) Dips (targeting triceps) 4sets 10reps, then add weight

4.) Barbell Curl 8-12 reps. x3 sets

6.) Bent over row/Upright row; super-set + rest-pause style (This I might drop one depending on how long I'm taking or just put one of the exercises at the end of the workout if I lack the vitality.

7.) Lateral Raise on a bench,Rear delt raises

8.) Deadlift 20 reps. Breathe in as you raise the weight and out when you let the weight down, followed with a set of light pullovers.

Hell No, triples, doubles, singles

Now I'd be shooting for doing this 3 times a week, with about an hour (including a 5-10 minute warmup)

Ultimately my goals are about 50% strength 50% mass,
If you want to get bigger and stronger, you must lift heavy weight, and allow your body time to rest. This routine is filled with high reps and unnecessary movements.

I suggest as a mock split something more like

Day 1
Deadlifts
Cleans and Push Press
Barbell Rows
Upright Rows
Side and Rear Delt raises

Day 2
Squats
Front Squats
Lunges
Hyper-extensions/reverse hypers
Power Cardio

Day 3
Bench Press
Dips
Pull Ups
Barbell Curls
Db Skull crushers
Hammer Curls
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
Mombow111
Mombow111
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Ok, SO I revised it trying to incorporate some of your suggestions + what I noticed when I entered the gym. I feel my body is apt to handle the load of a full body workout if I approach it intelligently and don't overdo it (haha, the clock is my primary motivator to do work, seeing as I don't like spending more than 45 minutes after warmup in the gym).

Workout is divided amongst A B and C days, A day grants 1 day off, whilst B and C grant 2 days of rest.
Off days will include abbreviated cardio in addition to abs and the occasional pylometrics or whatnot, off days can be subtracted/added voluntarily based off how I gauge my vitality on certain days.

I'll be getting 3,500-4,000 calories a day but am not looking for nutritional advice atm.

My plan is to stick with this for a month and a half, at which point I will go on a protein sparing fast derivative diet for 4 weeks and then return to this, probably modifying it to be more tailored to a strength training approach.

Warm-up:
1.)
5-10 minute cardio (ABC)
1x15 Power Clean and Press warm-up (full cleans) – or some variant on the reps (ABC)
1x20 Hyper Extensions (ABC)

2.)
3/2/2/2 Power clean (with one of them progressive cycles) (ABC) (taking light days if needed)

3.)
3x10 DB curls into Arnold press (switching to normal press when too difficult) – Speed focus – 45 seconds between sets. (A).
Barbell Static Grip (B)
Preacher Curl 3x12 – Power (C)

4.)
Dead lift (A)
Breathing Squats (20x squat) (B)
5x5 Front squat (C)
->Light Pullovers (1x15) (ABC)
->Same bar, 1x20 Hise Breathing Shrugs (ABC)
->Light Pullovers (1x15) (ABC)

3 x10 Dips/BP (lightly weighted with 1 minutes between sets) (A)
3 sets in the 3-5 range BP with DBs (B)
Rest-pause training on dips (C)

3 sets of Pull-up bar drop sets not weighted (Outer pull->Medium Pull->Medium Chin->Inner Chin) (A)
5x5 Heavy DB bent over rows (B)
1 Super set of Rest Pause Bent Over Rows into Upright rows (C)

3 x 10 Close Grip BP (speed – lighter weight) (A)
1x5 Military Press (Failure) (B)
3 x 10 Military Press (Light Weight – Speed – 1 minute between sets) (C)

2 x 10 Lunges (Full range of Motion- Moderate weight) (A)
3x 10 Good mornings (Lighter weight – speed- 1 minute between sets (B)
3x10 Calf Presses (15 seconds between sets) (C)

If completion of workout routine occurs prior to 1 hour after start
Optional – Heavy Weight Dumbbell Curls (2 sets of 10)
Optional- Pump sets (Light Super Sets/Drop Sets)
Optional – Demon Training on 1 Body part (Triple drop set with 8 forced reps on each set) (primarily Isolation exercises)

Few questions: A. never done good mornings before, is that a good way to approach them? B. How beneficial is "the pump" to increasing vascularity and/or recovery time. C. Is Demon training a viable option if Muscle Growth is my primary goal (I did them before and they made my quads so are **** but I know there's some controversy over this sort of thing.

Suggestion/Advice? - esp. on rep ranges - feel free to comment

Last edited by Mombow111; 03-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Few questions: A. never done good mornings before, is that a good way to approach them? B. How beneficial is "the pump" to increasing vascularity and/or recovery time. C. Is Demon training a viable option if Muscle Growth is my primary goal (I did them before and they made my quads so are **** but I know there's some controversy over this sort of thing.

Suggestion/Advice? - esp. on rep ranges - feel free to comment
A) Many people do good morning with a narrow foot stance. I recommend a stance wider than your normal squat stance. The stance in this video is a little wider than what I use:

B) There are many opinions on the pump. From personal experience, it is not nearly as important as progression of weight.

C) Demon training is viable for muscle growth, but I believe it's better suited for steroid users.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook