Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Cool
sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Question 5/3/1 or 5x5?

Oh hai.

So I can't really decide between the two...starting PLing this upcoming off-season, and I'm trying to decide on a good beginner template. Anyone have suggestions?
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
BenReilly
BenReilly
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,275, Level: 28 Points: 2,275, Level: 28 Points: 2,275, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Crappy
BenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributor

you know what my vote would be....lol
BenReilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i think it really depends where your at with your lifts... 5/3/1 is very intriuging(sp) to me, but i could progress faster on something not as limiting(what im doing now).

you said your looking for a beginner something, so with only the info given, i'd say 5x5

where are you at right now?
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
i think it really depends where your at with your lifts... 5/3/1 is very intriuging(sp) to me, but i could progress faster on something not as limiting(what im doing now).

you said your looking for a beginner something, so with only the info given, i'd say 5x5

where are you at right now?
Err, well, I'm not even going to try and guess what my bench is, haha. It's pretty much my weakest lift, and I never worked up to my 1RM before, but these are my best lifts at the moment:

Squat: 195, 1x6
Deadlift: 225, 1x6

I'm just wondering if there's any advantages/disadvantages to them. 5/3/1 sounds intriguing, like you said, and I have read Bill Starr's 5x5, and both seem pretty legit.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't have much experience training women, but I do like the flexibility that 5/3/1 offers, and I think it would be a solid choice. If the core work taxes you too much, at least you can back off the assistance exercises and still get in a great workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

damn... you put all the guys in my gym to shame....

this is what i would do if i were you:

1) random assortment of ****, just making sure you progress... this works well for me, lol. i just make sure i add reps and i constantly train heavy (yes aware im fairly weak).

but most people dont like this so

2) i guess 5/3/1. 5x5 would just bore me too much lol

im not sure what these lifts mean... im pretty sure they're pretty high for a female. so 5/3/1 should suit you well.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

For a strict PL'ing beginner, I would lean more towards the 5x5 either the madcow, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts renditions are solid, and they allow you to progress quickly in a linear fashion. The 5/3/1 is a solid program from what I've seen (and what little I've experienced so far), but there are some built in deloads that a beginner doesn't really need. Think of it this way, on a linear 5x5 you take four steps forward. On the 5/3/1 its more like 3 steps forward, 1 step back. Pick a good linear template and go. Save the periodization for another strength/mass cycle.

By the way, when I say "beginner," I know that you aren't a beginning weight trainer. I was refering to someone who is focusing on strength training/powerlifting for the first time.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn

Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm thinking I MIGHT want to shoot for 5x5, and maybe design my own template once I gain a lot of good base strength. Do most of you design your own routines and such?

Last edited by sneezingstardust; 02-25-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm thinking I MIGHT want to shoot for 5x5, and maybe design my own template once I gain a lot of good base strength. Do most of your own routines and such?
1. a girl doing 5x5 makes me say wow, thats rare but cool as hell

2. im lost as to the last sentence in the quote above
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
DocColossus
DocColossus
www.facebook.com/50feetcloser
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
My Mood: Yeehaw
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by benreilly View Post
you know what my vote would be....lol
5-3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DocColossus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook