Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
JustinWorkouts
JustinWorkouts
EPF TN State Deadlift Champion
Brawn
Points: 1,409, Level: 21 Points: 1,409, Level: 21 Points: 1,409, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Protein O.N
JustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality posts
Question Squat Program Questions/Small L.A Fitness Rant

Small Rant (Less Important)

Hey! So recently I got kicked out of L.A Fitness after 2 years for being a personal trainer. I always worked out with a friend but recently met a high school friend at the gym. Long story short he had been taking personal training "lessons" and he quitted and started powerlifting with me. After 1 week the trainer seen him with me and assumed he was paying me to train him and they revoked my membership. Lucky for me Frank Phillips (Squat World Record holder SPF) trains at a powerlifting gym that was recently build this year down the road and now I'm the new member I never seen so many powerlifters doing hardcore training Anyways I got a few questions about Smolov

(Actual Question) I now train at 3am after I get off from work at Fedex. I want to go back onto Smolov Squat which I did the base cycle and ended in Sept. I went from 315lb Squat for 1 to 405lb Squat for 1. I used knee wraps and a belt each day for my working sets. I want to redo the program using a 430lb Max only because i have done all the reps with the weight it requires just not for as many sets. For example the last day of week 1 is 385lbs 3 reps x10 sets. I have only done this for 1 set. Never tried 10 sets with that weight. My goal is to reach 500lb Squat to match my deadlift. During this time I will only be squatting.

1. What should I do between sets?
2. About how long should I rest minimum before going to the next set?
3. Is there anything else I can train while running this program? The last time I did it I was in school so I had to cut all the sets down by 25% due to class. (Still got the benefits of the program)
4. Before I pick 430lbs as a max for this program based off this video of my 1 rep 405lb attempt what do you think I should use for a max besides 410lbs <I know they will be said lol? (As I did it I realized I could've handled more weight but I had knee wrap issues as I'm a total noob with them. I'm not even sure if I'm getting the benefits of the wraps)
5. Should I still use knee wraps and belt or should I cut the 1 rep max down and do it without the wraps and belt?
6. Should I only do what the program calls for and go home? It's only 3 weeks. (Only doing base cycle again)

Note: I sleep during the day because I'm out from 11pm-3am (work) Gym (3:30am-Finish) School (7am-3pm MWF). Also me and my friend are running this together so I want be along. (This isn't the guy that was taking lessons at L.A Fitness)

Video (In New Gym. They even have bodybuilding videos playing):

JustinWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,884, Level: 100
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post
Small Rant (Less Important)

Hey! So recently I got kicked out of L.A Fitness after 2 years for being a personal trainer.
Sorry to hear that. Only trained at an LA twice. Seemed better than Planet Fitness.

Quote:
After 1 week the trainer seen him with me and assumed he was paying me to train him and they revoked my membership.
Guilty until proven innocent.

Quote:
Nothing but resting.

Quote:
Rest as long as needed until you feel physically and mentally ready to go. This is strength training, and there is no need to rush at all. Wait until you feel ready.

Quote:
Is there anything else I can train while running this program?
I would at least do 2 bench workouts each week. Maybe a 5x5, and a ramping 5 heavy day, ala Madcows.

Quote:
4. Before I pick 430lbs as a max for this program based off this video of my 1 rep 405lb attempt what do you think I should use for a max besides 410lbs <I know they will be said lol? (As I did it I realized I could've handled more weight but I had knee wrap issues as I'm a total noob with them. I'm not even sure if I'm getting the benefits of the wraps)
Knee wraps will help with the wear and tear of a heavy squat-focused program. I wouldn't use much more than 405-410 as a working max, personally.

Quote:
5. Should I still use knee wraps and belt or should I cut the 1 rep max down and do it without the wraps and belt?
Use them. Right now your form needs work and you need to protect your body. You are folding into a squat rather than squatting. Honestly I would get some front and side videos up in a thread and ask for form advice. It looks like your knees are forward and not flowering naturally. You might be able to add more just with form corrections.

You can see your knees coming together in the hold. That's not what you want.

Quote:
6. Should I only do what the program calls for and go home? It's only 3 weeks. (Only doing base cycle again)
You can do some very moderate assistance work, but I wouldn't do much more.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-13-2013 at 08:17 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post

3. Is there anything else I can train while running this program? The last time I did it I was in school so I had to cut all the sets down by 25% due to class. (Still got the benefits of the program)
I used to work 6pm-6am and would train around 3am on my off days.

1/2. Rest until you feel ready for the next set. The goal is to lift maximum weight, not necessarily hypertrophy or metabolic fatigue. The main thing with a program like Smolov is completing it. Rest as much as you need to.

3. Some people do bench while they run Smolov for squats. Check out Ben Rice's recent youtube videos on Smolov to get an idea.

4. Picking a 430lbs max for you ( or for anyone to go that far over their actual max) is a terrible idea. For one, you won't make it through the program because your total volume will be too high. Two, I don't know if its the camera angle, but that 405 squat looked a little high. You were wobbly and layed-over too far in the hole. If I were you, I would work on sitting back with your hips and keeping your elbows under the bar, then think about doing Smolov again. Once you get that down, you will squat more just based on technique because you will be in a better position to leverage the bar. If you insist on doing Smolov again now, then I would pick a submaximal weight and use it as your training max. Say 95% of your 1RM (roughly 385 I think for you).

5. Personally, I am a minimalist and like to train without belt/wraps whenever possible. But, I am getting older now and find that they help me stay healthy. You could go either way, but why not give it a go without and see how you do? If anything, your stabilizers/core will get a lot stronger. You could do just knee sleeves, or just a belt too.

6. This is individual. Do what you know you can recover from. If you feel beat up, do the program minimum and get out. You are already overreaching with your Squat just by running the program. There isn't really a need to do much more unless you have some kind of superhuman work capacity.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,602, Level: 90 Points: 20,602, Level: 90 Points: 20,602, Level: 90
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I will give a more detail answer when I am at home with a computer, but please dont use a max well over a weight you have actually done. That is a sure sign for a future troubles!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,321, Level: 100 Points: 33,321, Level: 100 Points: 33,321, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I agree with JB. If it was me I would do my next cycle based on my 1rm without belt and wraps, and do the whole squat cycle without. That will benefit you a great deal in the long run by getting you stronger overall.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
JustinWorkouts
JustinWorkouts
Brawn

JustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality posts

Update:

So I went in for day 1 of smolov a few hours ago and it went well. The sets with 9 reps are the hardest for me to complete because i'm use to low reps. I was going to use 405lbs as a max but when I put in 415lbs the only difference was an additional 5lbs on each lift for the week. I recorded 3 sets from 3 different angles so I could get some squat critique. I noticed when replaying the video its hard to see me getting parallel expect for the side angel and maybe the 1st angle. And about the background noise I got ronnie coleman yeah buddy in repeat as it helps me drive through the sets

Other Notes:
My diet right now is the typical american diet. Junk food, mcdonalds, milk, low protein. Maintaining weight. I'm planning to start bulking after this holiday rush finish as I work at Fedex and we will be in hell everyday in like 10 degree weather and a bulk during this time with school going just isn't going to happen. The knee wraps are only wrapped around 4 times. The belt is 13mm inzer.

Video (Turn volume down):

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

If you plan on competing as a powerlifter ( don't know if you have already...) then you are not hitting depth. You are about 1-2 inches too high. You want the crease I your hip to be below the top of your knee at depth. Push your knees out with your glutes/hip abductors as you drop into the hole while keeping your chest up and that should go a long way to correcting your technique deficiency. Good luck with the rest of the cycle.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
JustinWorkouts
JustinWorkouts
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
If you plan on competing as a powerlifter ( don't know if you have already...) then you are not hitting depth. You are about 1-2 inches too high. You want the crease I your hip to be below the top of your knee at depth. Push your knees out with your glutes/hip abductors as you drop into the hole while keeping your chest up and that should go a long way to correcting your technique deficiency. Good luck with the rest of the cycle.
I see. I always thought it was suppose to be in a straight line with knees. Should be a quick fix when I go in for the next session. I'm pretty sure I can get lower.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,321, Level: 100 Points: 33,321, Level: 100 Points: 33,321, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

1, lose the wraps.
2, learn to sit back to hit depth and spread your knees, chest up, elbows down.
3, lose the belt and practice to stay upright bracing your core.

Those squatmornings will give you back problems eventually, im sure off it.

Leave the ego at home, lower the weight and learn the movement BEFORE entering a program like smolov. Your supportive equipment are letting you use more weight than you are capable of and it relieves your weak links as you progress through your set.

Good luck man.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
JustinWorkouts
JustinWorkouts
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
1, lose the wraps.
2, learn to sit back to hit depth and spread your knees, chest up, elbows down.
3, lose the belt and practice to stay upright bracing your core.

Those squatmornings will give you back problems eventually, im sure off it.

Leave the ego at home, lower the weight and learn the movement BEFORE entering a program like smolov. Your supportive equipment are letting you use more weight than you are capable of and it relieves your weak links as you progress through your set.

Good luck man.
LOL now that I go and watch the replay thats a perfect name for them > SquatMornings.

Ok, so I'm taking all the advice I got and I'm going in for day 2 right now and I'll see how it goes with all the corrections and I'll post an update video with my corrections to see if it gets the approval.

Share with Facebook