Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Post Workout Nutrition - OCD, Hype and Whatnot...

Let's talk post-workout nutrition.

I was reading a thread on another forum and a poster was strongly against milk, post workout. I've also seen a bazillion threads that specify exact post-workout carb/protein grams.

What are your thoughts on post-workout nutrition? What is required? Or is it typical bodybuilder OCD?

My slant...my post-workout is usually a small glass of milk with protein powder and something sweet like a Pop Tart or small sweet treat. Why? Because that's what I crave. For years I drank a massive container of chocolate milk post-workout.

Here's why I think it's a bit OCD...there are naturals who haven't gained more then 2-3 pounds of muscle in 5-10 years who are OCD about post-workout meals. They are close to natural limits, such as myself. They can count every gram down to the tenth, but it has virtually no impact whatsoever upon muscle growth.

And does a beginner need to worry about fast acting carbs post-workout, or should they scoop and shovel whatever's within arm's reach?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-06-2009 at 03:22 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

A little of both.

Just drink some protein, and have some simple sugar, but don't neglect some fat for the protein.

Right now I have: scoop of whey in water, 3 fish oil caps, 4 liver tabs, and a few cookies, or a piece of chocolate.

Unless your in the last few weeks before a BB show, don't get crazy anal, about this stuff. For the most part, most people have a pretty good margin for error, and will still be ok.

For the young guys, scope and shovel. For guys my age, a bit of moderation.

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-06-2009 at 03:20 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,187, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Dark chocolate is one of my post-workout staples.

I am truly ignorant on post-workout nutrition. Why are so many against milk?

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

The Broscience prof's say that milk is not digested fast enough. People make up more shit, and pass urban legends around like there's no tomorrow.

I'm off milk only because it started giving me cramps. I was drinking about two gallons a week for several months.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,312, Level: 92 Points: 22,312, Level: 92 Points: 22,312, Level: 92
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I say just eat something, that is my theory, I usually have a scoop of whey, a piece of fruit, and then I just start pounding down some calories of anything. Peanut butter is one of my favorite things to eat post workout with a shovel a ton of calories and it fills me up for a little while.
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Me and Jwood are on the same train.

Regarding milk not being digested fast enough...it is...um, milk! The lifestuff given to us by mothers that is best for us to grow. Granted, this is cow's lifestuff...but...does that really make much of a difference? Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic. I'm not putting down the science behind this belief...I just don't understand the logic.

I guess Optimum Nutrition is smarter then God/Zeus/The Three Stooges/Darwin/Whatever you believe it?

I guess it's all about fast digesting protein?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Regarding milk not being digested fast enough...it is...um, milk! The lifestuff given to us by mothers that is best for us to grow. Granted, this is cow's lifestuff...but...does that really make much of a difference? Sorry if I sound a little sarcastic. I'm not putting down the science behind this belief...I just don't understand the logic.
I guess Optimum Nutrition is smarter then God/Zeus/The Three Stooges/Darwin/Whatever you believe it?
Science? There is no science behind it, or logic for that matter.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
MattB
MattB
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

I always have a skim milk/whey shake mixed in with cereal of some kind. I prefer eating post-workout instead of just drinking a shake. Plus lifting weights is really not that glycogen depleting. The carbohydrate with the protein is mostly to help speed up protein synthesis(Shown faster with the addition of carbohydrates).

Heres a study I was reading a while back. Granted it was tested on endurance athletes, still pretty interesting.

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full text | Cereal and nonfat milk support muscle recovery following exercise
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I always have a skim milk/whey shake mixed in with cereal of some kind. I prefer eating post-workout instead of just drinking a shake. Plus lifting weights is really not that glycogen depleting. The carbohydrate with the protein is mostly to help speed up protein synthesis(Shown faster with the addition of carbohydrates).

Heres a study I was reading a while back. Granted it was tested on endurance athletes, still pretty interesting.

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full text | Cereal and nonfat milk support muscle recovery following exercise
Very interesting and revealing post. Thanks Matt.

I think the results would have been close for strength trainees. Some forget - or don't know - that nutrient timing is a relatively new concept. And I do not hesitate to state that much of it's hype is driven by the dollar.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-07-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

I go eat dinner after my workouts.

A BIG DINNER!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook