Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #41
bwys61
bwys61
can i get a status
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Amused
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Great for beginners. I feel that the more advance you get, the harder it would be to make consistent gains. Especially if you want to lift heavy weights often. I would be afraid of not being able to recover fully from one workout to the next, while short-changing other lifts or muscle groups(ex: Deadlift, Squat or Bench stall cause you haven't recovered from the exercises that worked those same muscle the previous workout).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Thanks man, much appreciated.Its not that they are not working, but just looking for some opinions.

While your here bwys, what do you think about the chaos and pain training style???
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #42
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,461, Level: 93 Points: 22,461, Level: 93 Points: 22,461, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
Great for beginners. I feel that the more advance you get, the harder it would be to make consistent gains. Especially if you want to lift heavy weights often. I would be afraid of not being able to recover fully from one workout to the next, while short-changing other lifts or muscle groups(ex: Deadlift, Squat or Bench stall cause you haven't recovered from the exercises that worked those same muscle the previous workout).
Those are great points, thanks for giving us your 2 cents

Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #43
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would just encourage you C&P guys to use your instinct and natural training tendencies, and don't be afraid to play around with rep/set schemes. One of the valuable things I have learned over the years about my body is that I prefer training a certain way on certain exercises.

And then once you find the parameters of a lift and muscle group that you like to train within, step outside of them once in a while. You will learn something new either way. You might find that mentally or physically you now respond differently to a different approach, or you may find that "stepping outside your comfort zone" only reinforced the zone you are currently in.

I hope some of this makes sense. I haven't had my coffee yet, and am typing in dangerous territory.

This year I decided to step out of my comfort zone on heavy lifts. I made it a goal to try for 20 reps. While I did not hit that goal, I learned several valuable things about how my body responds. I now know that deadlift sets of 3+ reps really help with my pulling strength. And I now know that my bench press does not respond best to this type of approach.

I would encourage you to keep playing around. They say that children learn more in play then they do in school. I think this is the same for lifters.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook