Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Creatine and Beginners

There are many people strongly against creatine for beginners. The argument is that beginners should wait to master lifts, diet, etc. before they take creatine.

Where do you fall on this issue?

Personally I believe creatine should be used by beginners. It is cost effective, and can maximize strength and hypertrophy gains, and provide an extra boost of energy as a beginner is acclimating to hard training. More strength leads to more hypertrophy. Since a beginner is growing rapidly to begin with, I believe in doing everything possible to maximize that progress.

What say you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Out of all of the stuff that is out there that promises to deliver something that you just have to have, Creatine is on the very, VERY, short list of supps I would say take.

This includes beginners. Taking Creatine has nothing to do with how well your technical execution of a movement is, or anything else for that matter. To say not to take creatine, then you might as well say not to take any Whey as well. Lets take it to extreme and say don't eat red meat.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Out of all of the stuff that is out there that promises to deliver something that you just have to have, Creatine is on the very, VERY, short list of supps I would say take.

This includes beginners. Taking Creatine has nothing to do with how well your technical execution of a movement is, or anything else for that matter. To say not to take creatine, then you might as well say not to take any Whey as well. Lets take it to extreme and say don't eat red meat.
My beginner recommendations are generally:

--Whey
--Creatine
--Multivitamin
--Fish oil

So we're on the same track. I would also add an NO product if someone is older and doesn't always have the energy when they hit the gym.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My beginner recommendations are generally:

--Whey
--Creatine
--Multivitamin
--Fish oil

So we're on the same track. I would also add an NO product if someone is older and doesn't always have the energy when they hit the gym.
Yup!!
Thats pretty much all I use, except I also have liver tabs.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Yup!!
Thats pretty much all I use, except I also have liver tabs.
One day I'll get on the liver train.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

i dont see any reason to take it. why spend the money? yes its cheap, but its unecessary.

when people take creatine and then have noob gains, they think it was the creatine that did it. this leads to a distorted view of what supplements really do.

i would recommend waiting until strength gains slow before starting it.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
bb12
bb12
Sexy Beast!
Hulk!
Max Brawn
Points: 7,101, Level: 55 Points: 7,101, Level: 55 Points: 7,101, Level: 55
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Inspired
bb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributor

--Whey
--Creatine
--Multivitamin
--Fish oil

Exactly... after getting diet and training program in check
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
bb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Grip-N-Rip
Grip-N-Rip
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

My Mood: Yeehaw
Grip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good posts

ANYONE and EVERYONE can benefit from taking 3-5gm of creatine daily reguardless of the age/sex. I think it is a good supplement to have in a diet. Keep joint lubicrated and prevents injuried from happening.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip-N-Rip View Post
ANYONE and EVERYONE can benefit from taking 3-5gm of creatine daily reguardless of the age/sex. I think it is a good supplement to have in a diet. Keep joint lubicrated and prevents injuried from happening.
^ Good, this is.

I would like to add more about my perspective...creatine can help you put more weight on the bar as a beginner. More weight and better performance aid in increasing hypertrophy. Personally, if I was starting over again there is no way I wouldn't take creatine. There are just too many benefits. I would want to maximize strength and muscle out the gate.

I think the guys that are making gains are working their ass off, just like Kman. They have a good sense that their gains are coming from hard work and diet. Most average schmoes aren't making any gains, so I doubt they would notice anything from creatine anyway.

Size gains from creatine aren't profound for most. But I like creatine because it does make me noticeably stronger. Strength begets hypertrophy.

I can respect your point of view Kman. When I speak of lifters, I generally over speak of serious lifters and never think about under-achievers.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-30-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
jslep
jslep
wants to be BTB when he grows up
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
My Mood: Devilish
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

well i think it would depend on whether or not you would agree with the thought of it never works as good as the first time. IF your body can become accustom to having a supp such as creatine in the body wouldn't be more beneficial to wait until you get your huge beginner gains out of the way at which point you can just eat and sleep right and you will see huge results then introduce creatine when they have slowed a little to get them jump started again.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook