Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Relative/Vs.Absolute Strength

This is nothing new, and has been discussed before here. I just wanted to see what MaB's current opinions. Obviously a triple BW squat, 2.5x BW bench, etc. are all impressive. Say 200 lbs and benching 500. Or 200 lbs squatting 600. That's all pretty dang strong.

Compare that to the 300 lb guy who benches 550-600, squats 700-800. Relative to his bodyweight, he's lifting less.

Now all of these numbers are completely arbitrary, but in YOUR opinion who is stronger? The lifter with more relative strength or absolute strength? I'm of the opinion that whoever has the bigger numbers is the stronger man? What about you, MaB?
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,932, Level: 91 Points: 20,932, Level: 91 Points: 20,932, Level: 91
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Body weight comparison in that way doesnt work. You can use formulas, but really at the end of the day it comes down to personal opinion. I compare myself to everyone, at times I give up nearly 100lbs to SHWs. To the strong, weight classes mean very little. It is the average guy at the gym that gets hung up on that stuff.

I will say this though, strong people know strong. I tell people all the time Adam Driggers is stronger than me, even though I can beat him in every lift. I outweigh him by 80lbs and in my opinion he is stronger.

A very interesting topic for sure.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The bodyweight stuff only works if the curve is linear, and it's not.

I put these standards together for the raw, natural side of things. As natural as natural gets, anyway.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/strong-str...tural-lifters/

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100 Points: 1,520,400, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My general standards are more about mental strength. There are some guys that get it and push themselves, and others that never develop the grit and confidence to make decent progress. I respect anyone that remains consistent with the iron, but I know the guys with mental toughness will reach their goals. This is all that matters to me, really.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,830, Level: 32 Points: 2,830, Level: 32 Points: 2,830, Level: 32
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

I think it's kinda like comparing apples and oranges,that's the beauty of weight classes. I think most people are more impressed with relative strength since most are smaller and they can relate more to it.
BravenFenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
zach90
zach90
getin stronger daily
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,735, Level: 24 Points: 1,735, Level: 24 Points: 1,735, Level: 24
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

this is a topic ive given lots of thought into and ive come to the conclusion that its all opinion and doesnt really matter. in the lighter weigth classes its all about that bw ratio since smaller while bigger guys can go for those deep orbit numbers. and as steve said the curve isnt linear because theres a point where the weight gain doesnt equal the same gains in strength. i use to dwell on this and always tried to compare myself to big guys by my bw numbers and in the end it doesnt matter. everybody is strong and the only person they have to compete against is their own mind
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,685, Level: 43 Points: 4,685, Level: 43 Points: 4,685, Level: 43
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Inspired
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

The guy lifting the most is the strongest by very definition. a 300lb man benching 300lbs is stronger than a 150lb man benching 295lbs. Now when you are talking about who is the better lifter based on strength relative to bodyweight then the 150lbs man is better in that regard. However in general I would be more impressed by bigger numbers. I'd rather watch a 200kg monster deadlift 450kg than watch a 67.5kg man deadlift 250kg. As others have mentioned as well strength curves aren't linear.

Share with Facebook