Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Max Brawn
Points: 10,236, Level: 67 Points: 10,236, Level: 67 Points: 10,236, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member
Default Crossfit VS Powerlifting
by RobMoriRB 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM

CrossFit VS Powerlifting

By: Robert Mori

Here are two of the biggest strength sports going head to head in the article. There is a lot of Powerlifters who do not like Crossfit for some unknown reason, besides there kipping. One thing that both sports have in common is the Big 3, Bench,Squat and Dead Lift. In the Article I will explain the differences in the sports, by looking at which one is more competitive but I will also cover which one if fair.

I have been volunteering at a Crossfit gym for the last two months an I notice a lot of similarities but also a lot of differences.They both train the Squat, bench and dead lift,but they do not train near maximal effort as powerlifters do. They both have pull ups but that is mostly what they share between the two sports, but there are so many difference. One big thing is when doing dips an pull ups, Powerlifters tend to use all muscle strength instead of using a thrusting movement to make it easier. Yes you can do more "Pull Ups" kipping but you will develop more Lat strength from doing them with out kipping, this also goes for Dips in the same way. Is there any differences normal people can see when they are not in the gym?

One big thing in Crossfit you will have a hard time finding someone over 210 lbs who is competing in the Regional an Open championships. Where in powerlifting you will see all shapes an sizes. Crossfit really challenges your strength endurance where Powerlifting really challenges pure strength. When looking at youtube video's you see a lot of weird set ups, where the last championship they needed to swim so far then do kipp ups. This can be very Dangoures, where in Powerlifting video's we only need a Rack,bar, weights, and a bench. How can we improve either sports?

Well with Crossfit, I would like to see them only have 3 attempts to lift max weight or have a all out max reps with set times like a Powerlifting meet style. I think this would throw a huge wrench in many of there training styles out there. For Powerlifting it would be nice to see pay outs at bigger meet's like World Championships like Crossfit does. It would be a nice thing to do to give back for all our hard work we do in the gym an all the travel an hotel cost it takes. Which one is more competitive in training aspects?

From watching an following Powerlifters training for meets an watching a top 50 Regional athletes trying to make it in the top 30. For competitive side I would give it to Crossfit, because not everyone can make it to Regional qualifier where Powerlifting everyone can make it to Provincials. With Crossfit there is 1 weight class "Open", which makes it even harder to make a podium spot let alone to qualify. How can they make Crossfit more competitive?

Crossfit should add weight classes to get more people to be involved. By doing this it could generate more money for the whole sport, and by doing this makes it a bigger sell. There is nothing that would have to be changed in Powerlifting, but make a mega merge for all the federations an have 1 set of rules.
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Views 439 Comments 3
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 3

Comments

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

good thoughts

you might like this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/in...se-of-crossfit

Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Strongman117
Strongman117
I want to be as strong as possible.
Brawn
Points: 531, Level: 10 Points: 531, Level: 10 Points: 531, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Sumo deadlift
Fav Supp: no supplement
My Mood: Yeehaw
Strongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good postsStrongman117 has made some good posts

Really good article!
Strongman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
charleskarr68
charleskarr68
has no status.
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

charleskarr68 is off to a bad start

Excellent article! Thanks

Share with Facebook