Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default McGill Big 3 For Lower Back

Posting resources about the big 3. Feel free to add to this thread or ask questions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

http://mattsiniscalchi.com/2011/07/1...ore-exercises/

Quote:
Myths of Isolating Core Muscles

Do enough sit-ups, does not matter who you are, you will hurt your discs. Think of the low back like a credit card, if you keeping bending it back and forth, eventually it will break. Some people may have more “bending cycles” but the principle is the same for all.

Athletes use this core as a “spring for stiffness.” They do not take their torso and bend them under load. I.E. A throw or punch = The hips generate the movement–>stiffness is produced by the core (spring stiffens)–>followed by the power in the shoulder.

Hollowing or sucking in your stomach to “activate” transverse abdominis is basically stupid for healthy individuals. Nothing new here. You brace your stomach. Hollowing will decrease performance (you don’t suck in to lift heavy weights).
Quote:
McGill’s Big 3 for the Core

Curl-Up- this is not a typical sit-up type exercise. There should be no movement from the lumbar spine (your low back should not flatten against your hands).

Side Plank- great for quadratus lumborum (super important for important). McGill talks about the importance of QL for athletic movements. Suitcase carries with dumbbells or kettlebells are awesome for this as well. A lot of us know this exercise but most often it is performed incorrectly. The ankle through to the ears should be in one straight line. We encourage breathing through tension.

Bird Dog- the precision of form is what enhances performance (co-contraction of leg and opposite arm). Low load on the back as well. Mike Robertson gives a great video of how to do this perfectly. If you see most people doing this, often times you will see an increase in the lumbar curve (lack of control).

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,871, Level: 100 Points: 36,871, Level: 100 Points: 36,871, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Since incorporating the big 3 and suitcase carries, the nagging QL tightness I have suffered on and off for 2 years seems to be improving. They're also a great warm-up. Highly recommended.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I just started doing the big 3 for my warmup, I actually enjoy this and feel like a lot of my strains throughout the core have started to be less of an impact on my training.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
I just started doing the big 3 for my warmup, I actually enjoy this and feel like a lot of my strains throughout the core have started to be less of an impact on my training.
Same here.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

followed McGill's suggestions to recover from spine surgery and prevent a repeat injury.

Always rotating them into my routine

Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Bird dogs were a big part of my recovery from bulging and burst discs. To build up to a bird dog ( if you need a progression, or have never done them) start with the quadruped position and do only the arms. Then do only legs. Then start doing both. A form point to note most people try to raise the leg too high. This makes your hips not in alignment.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook