Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Muscle and Brawn Shop > 10/20/Life by Brian Carroll

Notices

10/20/Life by Brian Carroll

Build Strength Beyond Your Wildest Dreams. 10/20/Life: Get Strong NOW

Old 04-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
's legs hurt. Stupid DL suit...
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Amateur Surgeon Champion!
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
My Mood: Inspired
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine
Default 10/20/Life Q&As

Ok folks, If you guys haven't seen, Brian is going through the forums answering a lot of questions. There are, however, questions on the 10/20/Life Facebook page, that could be beneficial to anyone. I'll go ahead and post them here. At this point I'll encourage you to do two things. One; Go buy the book! Two; Join the 10/20/Life Facebook page. Both are incredible sources of information about training.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Q:I am really enjoying the book so far. I like the simplistic and well thought out approach. I have to admit that it will be a challenge for me to lighten my offseason loads to 6 and seven RPEs and have confidence to stay away from many 8-9 RPE lifts. Can you give an example of how you would approach an offseason week of 3x3 with a top set of 3 at RPE of 7 with respect to starting weight and % jumps per set in the squat?

A: Chris Bartl- Great question! One thing we do at my gym in this regard is understand that starting weight and jumps will be dependent on how you feel that day. If you feel great your jumps can be a little more aggressive but if you are fighting a cold, battling allergies or just having an off day, it will change how you attack this. I have my clients take another feel set or two of three once they get to 50% of their 1rm. We can then have a better feel to what their numbers will be. If they feel good and form looks dialed, I will have them take bigger jumps, but if I see they aren't all there, I will have them take smaller ones. Remember, smaller long term gains always lead to bigger, long term success. Hope this helps!

Jonathan Byrd- Chris Bartl gave you a great explanation. I just finished up a small off season block. For example the first few weeks once I got to my work sets I would make 50lb jumps each set. After I adjusted to the volume I would then make a plate per side jump. The key is to get quality reps and work and stay within that RPE range.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:Not so much training related but gear related. I use a metal jack bench shirt and I've been told mixed things on wether to pull the shirt down, leave it be or let it ride up some to touch easier. Any suggestions or thoughts?

A:Will Kuenzel- I've used a Jack and always found it easier to touch with it riding higher. Pulling it down will bring the collar down lower, which is a thicker material making it tougher to touch. Wetting the chest plate of the shirt down has helped me touch in a tighter shirt

Brian Carroll-I agree. Experiment. Skip the belt at first and see if that helps you touch. Pull slack out of the belly and let it ride up. Let us know how it works
Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:.

Here's a question I've been wanting to ask to successful lifters for a long time but never had the chance to ask. I understand that competitive athletes almost all take at least a couple weeks off after meets if not longer.

So I'm not lifting competitively, at least not yet. Serious injury, hospitalization, recovery, blah blah blah. I'm looking toward the new year or next summer before I'll be confident enough again in my numbers. So for someone like me who doesn't currently subject myself to the stress of a meet and will likely only go through something like a personal PR day at the end of the 10 week pre comp block, do you guys think that avoidance of that extended block of time off is wise or would it still be reasonable to take a block of time off for recovery?

I've always been guilty of pushing myself too hard too fast at the cost of progress so I'm looking to put that type of thinking in the past

A:Jonathan Byrd- I would say a lot depends on your body and the overall intensity of the training cycle. When going at it hard for that training block, it's always a good idea when it's over to give the spine a break and let it recovery. I have been notorious for not taking down time and it has lead to major injuries for me. That is one is the points of offseason training. Make sure you strengthen weak points and rest any small injuries. This is really hammered home in the 10/20/life.

Casey Williams- maybe commit yourself to at least one week completely off of training, if not two. It's tough to do but it's a marathon not a sprint

Chris Bartl- I agree with Jon and Casey here. One thing to consider as well that has worked for me post competition in the past is just doing to light "fluff n buff" type training sessions as mentioned in the book. Never a bad thing to get blood flowing and help speed up the recovery process

Casey Williams- the more i think about it...it's like two weeks out from a meet- how much stronger are you going to get, really? Same as after the meet...how much is 2-4 weeks going to affect your next meet (unless it's 10 weeks away).
Old 04-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:Regarding weight management.. I usually run strongest around that 282-284 mark.. But rather than running there into the meet then cutting the 9lbs 48 hours out, I did something different this cycle.. Looking for opinions.. During off season, I ran bulk-up to that 280-285... Then about 13 weeks out, I went to a carb nite program and leaned down to about 265-268.. This allowed me to bulk during the last 10 weeks going into the meet back up to 272-275, and no 48 hour cut needed.. Any input on this? Thanks

A:Chris Bartl- Hey Nick, this is something I did last year coming into a meet and it did work for me. Thing is I could have done better. Carb nite is a great program but it was not made with powerlifters in mind. In my opinion, as a strength athlete, your best friend will always be carbs. While you lost a good amount of weight during the drop, you also left a lot of weight on the bar. If you usually run your strongest between 282-284, why not compete there? You stepped on the platform 10 pounds under your strongest weight!! My suggestion would be to train where you are strongest, buy Brian's Weight Cutting Manual and learn to properly drop down to make weight, then bloat back up and smash some PR's. If you follow the weight cutting protocol in the book, which all of us coaches has used with an incredible amount of success, you can have the easiest 10 pound cut of your life and come in bigger and stronger than anyone else you will compete against. Hope this helps!!!

Brian Carroll- Nick - i agree. As long as you are not trying to get "shredded" this is good to do. Just slowly bring your weight back up and stay lean. If you want some diet help, let me know, but i agree that you should try to fill out the class without putting your health in danger
Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:On page 71 there is an example chart for combo offseason training. I'm unclear on the intensity of the lifts for this chart on the squat/deadlift day? Alternate heavy and light I understand, but how heavy/light exactly? Is this following the same RPE scheme as the regular style offseason training?

A:Jonathan Byrd- \\Yes that would be correct. You are using the same RPE set up, and using week 1 as an example your last set of 5 should not exceed an RPE of 6.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:What's your feelings on bands and chains? I never really saw much about it, other than reverse banding 2nd and 3rd attempt stuff..

Any use for off-season chain work or bands loaded from the bottom?

A:Chris Bartl- Chains and bands are just another arrow in the 10/20/LIFE quiver. The good thing about this program is you are net bound by specific rules of a template. Offseason is a great time to work on your weak points. If you have a weak lock out on your bench or your are slow off your chest, try using bands and chains for some speed work on your fourth day. The program is what you make of it. Brian had me use bands for both squat and bench to help me with weak points, just remember it should be used in accordance with your 10 or 20 week game plan

Brian Carroll- Yep. There's really no limit to what can be added it. BUT I DO CLEARLY STATE THIS IN THE BOOK: "DO NOT ADD MORE IN UNLESS NECESSARY AKA DO NOT COMPLICATE YOUR PROGRAMMING UNLESS THINGS STOP WORKING". I make the streak analogy. Add on thing at a time and experiment. The offseason is a great time for this.

Casey Williams- agreed...the one thing I thought of after reading through the book the first time was in the later weeks when you try to beat your week 1 and week 2 5 rep and 4 rep numbers, you can add 1-2 chains and try to hit the same numbers

Brian Carroll- Thats a great idea, casey. Takes the exercise execution hardness/difficulty up a notch, even its just having to stay tighter, or move it faster. Even if you cannot beat earlier weeks by much, make it faster, or look easier. Always build confidence
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:Probably a stupid question but on the deloads are we supposed to lift singles up to a weight of which we could do 5 to 6 reps or just perform 5 singles on 50% of max?

A:Josh Baxley- The deload would be between 50%-60%. An RPE of 5 would vary from person to person, but it should be something that is really easy and moves really fast. 85% wouldn't be a deload even if you only performed a single. The lighter loads give your body a break from the stress of heavier weight and the opportunity to hone in your technique with light loads. I believe that working on your technique is crucial on the deload weeks.

Brian Carroll- Yes, it states singles. Glad to help
Old 04-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:Brian, could you elaborate some on "gripping the floor like a monkey" for the squat and setting the lifter's wedge in the deadlift?

I looked through the book a couple more times, and even watched more YouTube videos on monkeys than I care to admit, and I'm still somewhat uncertain of what it's supposed to do and feel like when it's done right. Thanks

A:Chris Bartl- The best I have found for this is to think about spreading your toes and digging them in to the ground as hard as you can. If you think about monkeys and how they sit and swing in trees, their toes have a death grip on the tree limbs. Do the same with the floor, grip hard with the toes
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:Brian et al: on the "template" there are slots for the "b" and "c" exercises. When looking at the assistance index, I see "choose one" or "choose two." On the "choose two" exercises, am I meant to do "x sets of x reps" for two exercises on any given day?

A:Daniel Dalenberg- Yes pick 2 exercises and do them both for X sets/reps