Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
pivost
pivost
has no status.
Newb
New Brawn
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Vitamins
My Mood: Inspired
pivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good start
Default Cut or bulk?

Hey guys...

Im new to the forums and I have a serious question for you guys.

Since late january I have cutted away almost 20pounds of fat from my last bulk.
I am 180cm(5 feet, 10 inches) tall and weigh 83.5 kg (183 pounds) I cant see my abs and still have quite a lot of fat on me.. Think its 17%.

I do not wanna go below 176 pounds because this is a girl weight

I want to get stronger and get bigger muscles before I cut down. My goal is 200 pounds with bf around 10-12.. No reason to get stupid shredded.

You might say I have small man problems, which is why I do not want to go below 176...

My question is... Should I bulk up to 200 do a quick cut and startover again or just fatten up until I think I have reached my goal?
Should I cut down and perhaps below 176 for the summer and do a leanbulk.

I honestly dont care about having abs and being veiny.. I want to stay big so people can tell that I lift.

What should I do ?

Also.. I have been training for almost 2 years. First year at home in my basement. When I ran out of weights I joined a Gym

My training style is based around Powerbuilding.
pivost is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum, and good luck reaching your goals.

Quote:
I want to get stronger and get bigger muscles before I cut down. My goal is 200 pounds with bf around 10-12.. No reason to get stupid shredded.
10% is decently shredded Below that is not typically a maintainable body fat percentage.

Quote:
My question is... Should I bulk up to 200 do a quick cut and startover again or just fatten up until I think I have reached my goal?
If you want muscle than I would spend 2 years on a lean bulk. Invest some time in building muscle. The bulk and cut cycles to gain lose several pounds, in my opinion, are time wasted.

Once you have the muscle it's easy to keep. Most guys stumble getting the muscle to begin with.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
pivost
pivost
has no status.
Newb
New Brawn

pivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good startpivost is off to a good start

imo. below 10% is stupid shredded..
10-12% is def. maintainable.

Reason why I cut down in the first place was because I had gotten too fat. Last year I got sick and tired of not getting anywhere, then the eating began and it didnt stop. I have probably seen my best gains during the last 9 months. Reason why? - because I payed attention to my nutrition.

Alot of fats
A lot of protein
A lot of carbs

=

Succesfull bulk.

How would you describe a lean-bulk? 500caloric surplus?
As we speak I have just raised my overall calroic goal to 2500.. been cutting on 2300 with no cardio..
I will adjust my macros accordingly to my scale and the performance in the gym.. Remember I'm going for the athletic asthetics = powerbuilding

Also... still natty

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Chirag
Chirag
is trying to get strong
Brawn
Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Chirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good posts

Hey man I was in a similar situation like are. I would follow what Steve says and go for the lean bulk. We have similar stats (180 17-20%BF at 5'7-8ish) and I just started a lean bulk. I personally chose it because I did not want to cut down and be twig so I chose the lean bulk and to be honest it's working fairly well. I've lost 2lbs of what I believe is fat in two weeks by fixing my diet and the strength gains are going well so I can't complain! Just be happy with what you do and be consistent man! Good luck!

Last edited by Chirag; 04-24-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
pivost
pivost
has no status.
Newb
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
Hey man I was in a similar situation like are. I would follow what Steve says and go for the lean bulk. We have similar stats (180 17-20%BF at 5'7-8ish) and I just started a lean bulk. I personally chose it because I did not want to cut down and be twig so I chose the lean bulk and to be honest it's working fairly well. I've lost 2lbs of what I believe is fat in two weeks by fixing my diet and the strength gains are going well so I can't complain! Just be happy with what you do and be consistent man! Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback... Yea just my opinion.. Nothing impressive about a twig with abs.. Although I am pleased with cutting down because I did have too much fat on my body.

Do you track macros? if so how much of a surplus should I aim for ?

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,549, Level: 75 Points: 13,549, Level: 75 Points: 13,549, Level: 75
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Steve is right. Most people jump back and forth between "bulks" and "cuts", but all they're really doing is gaining fat and muscle, then losing it all. In fact, studies have suggested that "yoyo"ing up and down actually leads to having more fat in the long run.

If you want to do this right, nothing is ever going to be "quick" again (ok, no more quotation marks, I promise). You need to do a slow bulk. You need to find a program you believe in and give it time to work, and you need to do everything you possibly can to add a little weight to the bar week in and week out. Get stronger. Get thicker. Gain a solid 10-15lb and do it slowly by eating just a little over maintenance.

The mistake most people make is being to extreme. When they bulk they eat BIG. When the cut, they cut way too much. You need to be extreme when it comes to training, and you need to be extreme (most of the time) when it comes to monitoring your diet, but a couple extra calories combined with hard work over long periods of time, THAT'S what makes you huge.

If you want to be around 10% bodyfat, with your height of 5'10", 200lb is a good long term goal. I mean REALLY long term, because that's approaching most people's natural limit for bodyweight while remaining lean.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Chirag
Chirag
is trying to get strong
Brawn
Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7 Points: 364, Level: 7
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Chirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good postsChirag has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivost View Post
Thanks for the feedback... Yea just my opinion.. Nothing impressive about a twig with abs.. Although I am pleased with cutting down because I did have too much fat on my body.

Do you track macros? if so how much of a surplus should I aim for ?
I agree with Soldier. Just pick one and go for it. I spent almost a year just flopping around between bulk and cut, don't waste your time switching just pick one and do it. I know for sure that if 8 months ago I had just chose one, lean bulked or cut, I would have been in a way better position than I am in now.

This is one of Steve's articles and it really sums it up well.
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...lemma-bulk-cut

I do track macros and my current macros are this 190 Carbs, 220 Protein, 100 Fat. This is a little more that 2500 calories. I am not sure how much of a surplus you should go for but I'm using the same macros until my strength gains stall. Then I up the calories by a 100. The general advice that I was given though is usually 250-500. I would stick to 250 until your weight stalls. Better to be safe with a smaller surplus than to have unnecessary fat gain.
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Greg B.
Greg B.
Feeling Pumped!
Brawn
Points: 1,333, Level: 20 Points: 1,333, Level: 20 Points: 1,333, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell rows
My Mood: Amused
Greg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality posts

If the goal is to build muscle and to make sure people know you lift by how you look, then I'd agree with others above and maintain a lean clean bulking pattern. No reason to go crazy with dirty bulking and adding the unnecessary fat to your physique. As you said, you don't want to look like a twig with abs, but you may not want just a massive looking, but undefined physique either. But ya gotta eat to gain the muscle, so for a period of time the definition won't be completely there until calories are lowered, but that should be after you've attained the goal amount of muscle you desire.

Main Website: http://www.aaefx.com/
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/allamericanefx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @allamericanefx
Instagram: @aaefx

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own*
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

I would lean bulk, I did a aggressive bulk last year or so I got stronger and bigger but I put a lot of fat on as well.

Share with Facebook