Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #11
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 9,267, Level: 64 Points: 9,267, Level: 64 Points: 9,267, Level: 64
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

The Iron gives me a place to think about life an to get rid of all the hate feelings I have by lifting heavy as Hell
Bench: 330(305)
Total: 1185lbs
Equipped Goals(Current)
Squat: 500(465)
Sumo Dead Lift:500(475)
Bench:330(305)
Total:1245

Block Program: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16237

BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #12
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoriRB View Post
The Iron gives me a place to think about life an to get rid of all the hate feelings I have by lifting heavy as Hell
What brings all the hate? Do you mind reflecting on that? Yes, workouts also can provide a time to think and reflect, as you push yourself to be better than before. It is good to see that it is providing this for you!

Other than my wife, the iron is my best friend. It says nothing, but says so much.

Thank you for sharing that, Rob.

Hope your day goes well.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I was up early this morning, thinking about my youth, and how things changed as I approached middle age.

When I was between the ages of 18 to about 42, I always had a "set-strength and endurance level" no matter what I did. I did not have to workout or train to go into basic training (Army), this was not that hard in the physical sense. In addition, I did not have to workout or train to go into the Police Academy. Furthermore, I did not have to workout or train before going into OCS (officer school, Army). The set strength/endurance was always there, genetics were great. I just wished I would have experience the iron then, as I am sure it would have impacted the present, and the time it began to change.

I took this for granted. However, things changed around 42, with weight creeping up around 35 or so. I began to see a noticeable decline in strength and endurance then, and the IRON changed the entire scenario, and has impacted my life (personally) like no other. I am thankful, to it, and will forever, be grateful.

Remember, young ones, do not take your youth for granted. It can be taken like a thief at night, but if you fight with the correct attitude, and appropriately police the diet and handcuff the iron to your passion, you increase the odds health and vitality will be by your side.

EDIT: On a side note: I am skull-crushing 125lbs for 6 reps, and while this is strong (semi-depleted and walking into replenish), what I do not understand, is my MP (which I am working on to figure out), I am stuck at 150lbs (weight 164, water is down). I was stuck here prior to depletion set, and anticipate same issue, as I can see it coming (and feel it-most will know what I mean by that). I will post a video in another thread. I think my tri's are strong enough, as I get stuck--just prior to the fuller more engaged moment just above shoulder parallel with elbows (for lack of better explanation, lol) the video will show the place. I attempted 160, and I can feel the tri's strong enough, but sticking point hinders it. And, I can feel the shoulders strong enough, but it feels somewhat like a small vice spot, lol.

Off to train this morning, later guys!

I hope everyone's day goes well.
Don

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-20-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
2013SierraSam
2013SierraSam
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 933, Level: 16 Points: 933, Level: 16 Points: 933, Level: 16
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1
Fav Exercise: Tricep Pushdown
Fav Supp: Protein and Dr. Jekyll
My Mood: Confused
2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts

That's deep O.o
2013SierraSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

[QUOTE=Chillen;474016
Remember, young ones, do not take your youth for granted. It can be taken like a thief at night, but if you fight with the correct attitude, and appropriately police the diet and handcuff the iron to your passion, you increase the odds health and vitality will be by your side.

[/QUOTE]Amen to this! We can live our lives feeling pretty invincible, but then one day you can wake up to a life altering circumstance without ever seeing it coming.

I served 16 years in the US Navy and separated in 97 as a result of the drawdowns. I worked my ass off to support my family to the point that I began neglecting my own health. I quit the job I had for another which allowed me to have the time to take care of myself and set out to lose a bunch of body fat and get healthy and strong again. In 2007 I got serious about weight training and began a beginners 5x5 program 3 days a week and was riding my mountain bike 60-70 miles per week. A buddy of mine informed me in 2008 that the Army National Guard would take me back in and I should finish my career, which I found to be true and I did return to military service as a Staff Sergeant. I went through the Army's Warrior Transition Course which is like Basic Training for veterans at the ripe young age of 46.

Everything was going along for me quite well. I had a good job, the prospects of converting to regular Active Army were good and I was in the best shape of my life when on the morning of August 10, 2009 I woke up to a horrible pain in my right leg. That pain was the result of a herniated disk at L5-S1 which finally had to be repaired surgically after other methods proved to be unsuccessful. I was left with permanent damage to my sciatic nerve which scarred over (shown by MRI) and chronic sciatic pain. It took me a full year to be able to walk normally without it being a conscious thought for every step. And also a year before I returned to full time work. In the summer of 2010 I returned to lifting with just an empty bar and worked my way back up to some respectable weights. I still have problems from the nerve damage, I.E, it is quite difficult to get a good bench arch without sending my sciatic nerve into painful spasms. Sometimes a grinder with deads and squats will leave me feeling someone smacked my right ass cheek with a hammer for a few days. But never the less I continue to lift as not only does it make me feel better physically, but it works wonders for my mental state of mind when I am down. It makes me feel better about myself when I look at other guys in my age group who are afflicted with what I refer to as old man issues already and to know that I still have the physical capacity to work as hard as a good many youngsters.

I have had some ups and downs with lifting because of burnout and sickness, but I will never give it up willingly. I have reset more times than I can count to work on form issues which affect my sciatica and to combat the burn out. I am no longer worried about whether I set PR's every time I get under the bar. I know that eventually I will be back into my PR territory.

What Don says about your youth being taken like a thief in the night can be taken as gospel. You just never know.

Last edited by GeezerDude; 04-24-2014 at 08:12 AM.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #16
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The iron to me is all about opportunity. I can be whatever I want on a given day, and always have "that chance."

I am thankful for the control it gives me, and thankful for the confidence it has given me. The mental strength the iron has given me far outweighs the physical strength and muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,307, Level: 64 Points: 9,307, Level: 64 Points: 9,307, Level: 64
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I am thankful to the IRON because...

After losing over 100lbs, Thanks to lifting, I am now able to eat MORE now than when I was fat, and not gain the weight back!!!!!!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The iron to me is all about opportunity. I can be whatever I want on a given day, and always have "that chance."
Thank you for taking the time to share this Steve. I agree. There is always a chance under the iron, it's when one gives up, when their is no chance.

With the right approach, anyone can cultivate a deep, burning desire within themselves and move to a state of total commitment, knowing with certainty that success is as inevitable as the sunrise. This is what "chance" under the iron provides when one is persistent in what they personally seek and this created chance WILL provide "thunder and lightening" inside the one with what they are looking for! I love this thunder!

Always hope, always a way, under the iron.

Yes! This has so much "Rock-on!"

Its TRUE there is power in between the iron and YOU!

Do not feel BLUE ; a partnership between the iron and YOU; will BREW and STEW the new YOU. , bah,ha.lol...(that was silly)

Opening up our minds and being filled with great awe and have more faith than a simple tree. Our lives are made of seasons and some will make us grieve, but if we just have faith and create the chances under the iron, we will never be without our spouts, which will bring the leaves, and allow the sunshine to shine within.

Quote:
I am thankful for the control it gives me, and thankful for the confidence it has given me. The mental strength the iron has given me far outweighs the physical strength and muscle.
I'll not let you beat me;
there's nothing you can do.
No force could be imposed on me
that would see me succumb to you.

No obstacle you throw at me
will block my path for long.
I'll simply find another way;
my desire's far too strong.

No winds could blow me hard enough,
to drive me off my course.
Yours could never hope to match,
that of my driving force.

No waves or raging torrents,
you might muster, will ever sweep.
Me from this path I've chosen,
or all it is I seek.
So to you life (added), I welcome your challenges,
each one that you may throw.
They only serve to strengthen me and with the iron (added), I'll grow.

(SW Green, Quote Above)
====================

One thing I have learned, too, and I am thankful for, is that it (the iron) has taught me that I have the capability to be invincible in my resolve toward life's continuing complexity of detours and complications with the proper attitude, and it "thunders" the outcome I want.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid of shadows, they just mean there's a light shining somewhere near. There always a chance under the iron.

Walk softly, and....carry a big fuggen mental stick in your head.

This rocks, and you will ROCK! So, pull the rocket out of your pocket, and
Rock it!

Hope you are having a good day, and everything is going good with you, Steve.

Don

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-24-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

I'm thankful to the iron because it helps me deal with all of life's peaks and troffs.

I am a earthmoving mechanic by trade , as a young fellah it was the most exciting job in the world, somehow I used to juggle 12 hour shifts and still find time for Oly lifting, and chasing girls.

As time woar on, I met my wife, still spinning spanners, still finding time for lifting.

I used to work in this old coal mine down here, water was always a issue and it was so dam cold all winter and too hot in the summer, I used to deal with constant floods, wash outs, accidents, slips and so on. I trained and joined New Zealand Mines Rescue . Looking back I'm not sure weather I should of done that. We had a mine called Pyke River blow up and 23 brothers were killed and are still intoomed in the mine today. I know most of them by name and being in Mine's Rescue I got all the details and had to get ready to deploy and go on a recovery mission. Today the mine is still too unsafe to enter.

This has been going on for years and it started eating me alive and I gave up lifting.

Because I was so cold and wet most of the year, my health went down the shitter and eventually the mine manager retired me before my hands were good for nothing. I lost so much feeling in my hands I couldn't tie my own shoe laces, I couldn't button up my shirt, I couldn't work keys, so much of my motor skills were lost. Not long after this lot, 2 of my children also passed away.

So I ended up getting a job with Komatsu New Zealand , Running a workshop. I Started lifting again and joined up with MAB.

The iron has given me my health back, Stress is-ant a big issue any more, When nothing goes right, go lift.

I used to lift to get big numbers. However these days I realise that lifting is good for me and the big numbers are a secondary goal.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I'm thankful to the iron because it helps me deal with all of life's peaks and troffs.

I am a earthmoving mechanic by trade , as a young fellah it was the most exciting job in the world, somehow I used to juggle 12 hour shifts and still find time for Oly lifting, and chasing girls.

As time woar on, I met my wife, still spinning spanners, still finding time for lifting.

I used to work in this old coal mine down here, water was always a issue and it was so dam cold all winter and too hot in the summer, I used to deal with constant floods, wash outs, accidents, slips and so on. I trained and joined New Zealand Mines Rescue . Looking back I'm not sure weather I should of done that. We had a mine called Pyke River blow up and 23 brothers were killed and are still intoomed in the mine today. I know most of them by name and being in Mine's Rescue I got all the details and had to get ready to deploy and go on a recovery mission. Today the mine is still too unsafe to enter.

This has been going on for years and it started eating me alive and I gave up lifting.

Because I was so cold and wet most of the year, my health went down the shitter and eventually the mine manager retired me before my hands were good for nothing. I lost so much feeling in my hands I couldn't tie my own shoe laces, I couldn't button up my shirt, I couldn't work keys, so much of my motor skills were lost. Not long after this lot, 2 of my children also passed away.

So I ended up getting a job with Komatsu New Zealand , Running a workshop. I Started lifting again and joined up with MAB.

The iron has given me my health back, Stress is-ant a big issue any more, When nothing goes right, go lift.

I used to lift to get big numbers. However these days I realise that lifting is good for me and the big numbers are a secondary goal.
Wow, just so many things to say. I will keep it short and just say thanks for sharing your experience.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook