Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Default We Have A lot To Be Thankful For

Good morning, Brothers and Sisters under the iron curtain.

I got up this morning, at about 230am, and was overcome with various thoughts. These past few weeks have been difficult. About 3 weeks ago, without warning the owner's father died and he had to rush to India, and basically handing me 2 multimillion dollar hotel franchises to operate and manage.

Both are high volume, and with about 20 employees each. Both do not have an assistant manager, so basically, in the management sense, I am a one man show, ensuring all shifts are covered, housekeeping is functional, administrative functions finished, and guest services are taken care of, etc, etc, etc (does not do justice to the responsibilities). I have been working 10 hours per day, each day, and working 7 days per week, and I have another 2 weeks to go.

I am not complaining. I am thankful. Each day, I drive to work, I cross a bridge in which is a custom hang out for the homeless. Why I try not to make judgement (as I do not know the shoes in which they have walked), I do try to put things in proper perspective. I see people carrying trash bags with their belongings, and crawl under the bridge, and set up camp with a card board box.

And, I think I have complications and issues. I have a lot to be thankful for, as I drive in a warm car to a paying employment.

I am also thankful for many other things. As I have walked these past few weeks, my body has given back 10 times more than the work I have put in to provide access to this potential.

I will be soon be 53 years old. I am on my feet now more than 10 hours per day. I have adjusted my sleep pattern, to STILL get up early (between 230a-300a), and workout before work, even working 7 days and more than 10 hours a day (7a to 5p), and head to bed between 5 and 6p (most days). I just adjusted to the stresses of life, as I am dedicated to the iron. My heart cries my passion tries

I am humbled and gracious to how well my body has held up. I have no pain what-so-ever, strong endurance and strength in mind and overall body, and it lasts all day. I owe this to the "The One", the iron, and how I train, a well-rounded physique with endurance and strength.

However, I am most gracious to: The Squat. It is the legs that carries the upper body, and takes most of the burden during the day, and walks me through life's paces. All the sweat, anger, hard breathing, cussing matches, we have endured through the years, have been worth it. And, it is paying me back now, and I am gracious and humbled. I took the time to go back within OneNote to reflect on progress the past few months, and make various personal reflection notes, to aide my personal cause in the fight for life and my love for the iron. It has provided so much, because I gave so much to it. Pic below.

I thank you...the iron, you say nothing, but say so much. I am grateful to be THE ONE with you......(I will post this next)

What do you guys have to be thankful for as you walk this life under the iron? What has the iron given you?

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-16-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
Dray
Dray
lifts some stuff...
for the glory of Crom!
Max Brawn
Points: 9,294, Level: 64 Points: 9,294, Level: 64 Points: 9,294, Level: 64
Activity: 82% Activity: 82% Activity: 82%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: strict press
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

You have a great work ethic, and attitude to match. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
What do you guys have to be thankful for as you walk this life under the iron? What has the iron given you?
So much and so many, outside of lifting. But as far as the iron goes...

The effects, even just this far in, on my overall health, aesthetics, and even state of mind, are quite overwhelming. In a good way. I wasn't fully aware, before I started all this, just how much I hated being so weak, so scrawny, and so ridiculously unfit. For so long, as well. Something was seriously wrong for years - and now I know what that was.

I will indeed stick with this for as long as I possibly can. I'm also so glad, and so proud, that the missus has joined me on this journey.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I am thankful, to the iron for being there for me. Patiently putting up with my agitation, irritation, moodiness, intense passion, and making my weak heart so much stronger as a result.

We will always be one.

My heart cries and my passion tries. The One:

The One (YOU and THE IRON).

A spirit born of earth and water............

In the instant that you love someone (YOU)

In the second that the internal spirit hits

.....................Reality runs up your spine

And the pieces finally fit...............

And, realize all you ever needed is: The One.(The Iron and YOU)

Whenever I feel troubled, I go to my partner who "understands" The One. It’s the place where I know where to go, place my tears, wipe them, and awake a new me. It whispers to The One. It reveals to The One what The One is really made of and rekindles the spirit of The One. It doesn’t allow The One to question it. It doesn’t allow The One to ever doubt it. It reveals the truth to The One. It shines the light on The One.

Then The One shall see Fire flying from the hands..............

It reveals the depth and character of The One and reveals the moral reserves. It reveals the internal contents of The One, and tells The One:

There is no greater freedom, when you see your future in THE ONE.

The Spirit within The One never dies.

(by Chillen)

We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing.

(Unknown)

(You may not understand this, but you will the spirit hammer hits you)
===============================================

Post what you guys are thankful for!

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
You have a great work ethic, and attitude to match. Kudos.

So much and so many, outside of lifting. But as far as the iron goes...

The effects, even just this far in, on my overall health, aesthetics, and even state of mind, are quite overwhelming. In a good way. I wasn't fully aware, before I started all this, just how much I hated being so weak, so scrawny, and so ridiculously unfit. For so long, as well. Something was seriously wrong for years - and now I know what that was.

I will indeed stick with this for as long as I possibly can. I'm also so glad, and so proud, that the missus has joined me on this journey.
I hope the iron keeps "teaching you" as you walk your personal journey, and that your attitude and passion is able to carry you though the good and the bad times. No one said it was going to be easy. To many people "look for" the easy fast fix (such as in a bottle), but in reality, there is none. What is "worth" to earn, takes hard work. Hard work does not sell to the masses, but "hard work" does sell to those who understand, what "reality" is, and what "it takes" in personal effort. All of your hard work, disappointments corrected through proper personal direction, and accomplishments, will be well worth it, and it will hit you many times in certain times as you live life.

You keep controlling what you have control over: How you view things, and what you view will then change, and then you will likewise change as a result. Kudos to health, and keep hammering.

Off to train, running late, lol........long day ahead too.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Bump, anyone thankful for what the iron provides you?

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,413, Level: 97 Points: 26,413, Level: 97 Points: 26,413, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I am thankful for being given a 2nd chance to lift. Just last April of 2013, it was looking like I would have to stop lifting forever as a medically incurable eye disease called Birdshot and incurable Severe facet Joint Arthritis was at it's peak. The eye surgeon told me there was nothing more that could be done for me and it would be a good idea to start learning braille. The sports medicine doc was telling me to cease lifting forever as Facet Joint arthritis is one of the worst types and will for sure cause a lifetime of hellish pain of which there is no treatment.

A year later and I just squatted 500 lbs. With the help of Lisa, we managed to treat 2 incurable diseases that likely would haave caused me to seriously consider jumping off a bridge. Both diseases are now in dormancy or remission and my eyesight has gradually been improving.

The chances of getting Birdshot were 1 in 16 million. the chances of curing it were zero, until now.

As my signature says, I am grateful to God for what has happened to me and to provide me with the opportunity to lift.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I am thankful for being given a 2nd chance to lift. Just last April of 2013, it was looking like I would have to stop lifting forever as a medically incurable eye disease called Birdshot and incurable Severe facet Joint Arthritis was at it's peak. The eye surgeon told me there was nothing more that could be done for me and it would be a good idea to start learning braille. The sports medicine doc was telling me to cease lifting forever as Facet Joint arthritis is one of the worst types and will for sure cause a lifetime of hellish pain of which there is no treatment.

A year later and I just squatted 500 lbs. With the help of Lisa, we managed to treat 2 incurable diseases that likely would haave caused me to seriously consider jumping off a bridge. Both diseases are now in dormancy or remission and my eyesight has gradually been improving.
Kudos to you and Lisa! That is just fricken' awesome! You were getting struck with damaging news, and knew within your heart, if your will was a driving participant, you could find a way, when you were told, it was over, and to stop trying under the iron.

There are so many options to drive one that is virtually impossible not to find an option that works for you. You guided this ship (your body) to the harbor and refused to allow it to sink. Much respect and admiration to you. Like the saying: We cannot always determine the distance, but we have options in the path.

Squatter, much respect to you, because you have chosen to view things in a different perspective, and because of this, the way you view things have changed, and as a result, you have grown stronger, and reduced the inhibitor in your life.

Continue to sell yourself on the virtue that you can and will overcome issues within your life, and you will be a personal winner, bar none.

Thank you for sharing that.

Don

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-17-2014 at 07:50 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,413, Level: 97 Points: 26,413, Level: 97 Points: 26,413, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
Kudos to you and Lisa! That is just fricken' awesome! You were getting struck with damaging news, and knew within your heart, if your will was a driving participant, you could find a way, when you were told, it was over, and to stop trying under the iron.

There are so many options to drive one that is virtually impossible not to find an option that works for you. You guided this ship (your body) to the harbor and refused to allow it to sink. Much respect and admiration to you. Like the saying: We cannot always determine the distance, but we have options in the path.

Squatter, much respect to you, because you have chosen to view things in a different perspective, and because of this, the way you view things have changed, and as a result, you have grown stronger, and reduced the inhibitor in your life.

Continue to sell yourself on the virtue that you can and will overcome issues within your life, and you will be a personal winner, bar none.

Thank you for sharing that.

Don
Your thoughts mean alot to me Don. Many members here at MAB gave me hope, Lisa gave me the knowledge and tools, and then I implemented wholesale changes immediately. It was tough giving up foods like potatoes, as I grew up on them. Part of me said, "why do I have to do this when I am already gluten free, which is tough enough?" My willpower is second to none tho, and I will do anything to be able to do what I love, and that is to lift.

I also consider my 2nd chance at lifting a gift from God. He provided the path to all of this, and I followed.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I'm thankful for many things, but in particular for three things:

Firstly, that I was born into one of the richest economies in the world (currently no. 21 on GDP per capita). Considering half the world's population subsists on less than $2.50 a day, that's an extraordinary piece of good fortune.

Secondly, that I was born into an age where I am less likely to live in crippling pain, or die prematurely, or be murdered because of my beliefs or origins, or be kept ignorance and servitude than any other era in history.

Thirdly, that I was born with a decent brain, and with no physical maladies to speak of, and to parents who didn't beat, abuse, exploit or indoctrinate me, but to the contrary did their best to understand, support and nurture me.

As for weightlifting, I'm just glad I've had the time, money, energy and fitness to indulge myself doing a fairly self-serving activity.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #10
Chillen
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I'm thankful for many things, but in particular for three things:

Firstly, that I was born into one of the richest economies in the world (currently no. 21 on GDP per capita). Considering half the world's population subsists on less than $2.50 a day, that's an extraordinary piece of good fortune.
I agree. But, I have a fear that we will eventually lead to an economic financial collapse, unless some hard but necessary decisions are made.

Quote:
Thirdly, that I was born with a decent brain, and with no physical maladies to speak of, and to parents who didn't beat, abuse, exploit or indoctrinate me, but to the contrary did their best to understand, support and nurture me.
I was less fortunate. I had a Father in the biological sense only. But, not a Dad. He has done injustice to the very word, Dad, and gives it disrespect. He abandoned his entire family, when I was 8 years old. My mother, used her anguish of my so-called Father, to physically abuse, and attempt to harm her children growing up. I am, however, fortunate to realize these shortcomings, and able to step out of these experiences and analyze them appropriately, and become a good parent to my own children, and provide what I did not have. For this, I am thankful. Not everyone is able to put things in proper perspective.

Quote:
As for weightlifting, I'm just glad I've had the time, money, energy and fitness to indulge myself doing a fairly self-serving activity.
Agreed. However, with me, my training is not only self serving. It has a dual purpose. My wife has several debilitating diseases, and is less fortunate than I. And, while my goals have self-serving agenda's, at its soul, is taking care of myself to increase the odds, I will be in a better physical position to take care of her, when she no longer can. And, I will do this, and this passion, will never die. My love for her will not allow it. I will be by her side, and my choice to be under the iron, will provide the foundation for this to happen.

Thank you for sharing that. Hope your day will be fantastic, Tan.

Don

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-19-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Share with Facebook