Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
JTM811
JTM811
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 549, Level: 10 Points: 549, Level: 10 Points: 549, Level: 10
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerDude View Post
This is maybe slightly off topic from box squatting and paused squats, but is still the same principle. Has anybody tried squats with a dead start from the rack pins at a depth of parallel or just below? Are there any benefits to doing it this way instead of box or pause squats? I have only known of one guy who did it this way, but am not sure how much better or worse it would have been over the other styles.
I don't know anyone who's ever done that, and I'm not sure it would or wouldn't be beneficial. IMO it would be pretty difficult/awkward getting yourself properly set up under the bar already squatted down that far.
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,986, Level: 76 Points: 13,986, Level: 76 Points: 13,986, Level: 76
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Pause squats, absolutely. Box squats have very little carryover for most people who are raw squatters. Pause squats help my depth and nail my legs with extra TUT. They also allow me to get lots of good work in with lighter weights. They even relieve some of the pressure on my knees from trying to maximize rebound on my normal back squat.

Pause squats are hard and they suck. Most of the time the version that sucks more and is harder is probably the one you should be doing.

If/when I start using equipment again I'll mess with box squats. Until then, I'll stick with pause squats and kettlebell swings to build my squat.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
This is maybe slightly off topic from box squatting and paused squats, but is still the same principle. Has anybody tried squats with a dead start from the rack pins at a depth of parallel or just below? Are there any benefits to doing it this way instead of box or pause squats? I have only known of one guy who did it this way, but am not sure how much better or worse it would have been over the other styles.
Both me and my W/O partner do these on occasion. We dont "get under" the bar. We start like a regular squat, lower the bar to the safety rails, the go a little lower, that takes all the weight off you. Then tighten up and explode up. We both feel it helps with exploding out of the hole.

Its similar to a paused squat, except all the weight is off you for a second. That way you really do start from a dead stop.

I will say though, we do paused squats probably in a ratio of 5-1 over these...

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Moe, you did a better job of explaining what I was trying to.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
miked96
miked96
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,885, Level: 74 Points: 12,885, Level: 74 Points: 12,885, Level: 74
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Relaxed
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Quote:
I have done them and they are a great deadlift assistance exercise. Try them with an SSB if you have one.
miked96 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook