Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,427, Level: 57 Points: 7,427, Level: 57 Points: 7,427, Level: 57
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Protein panic.

So ever since I've come to the realization I should be getting around 225 grams of protein a day for my age and goals as informed by Steve a while back, I did my best to meet that, and have been doing successfully.

Given the food restrictions I've had to place on myself because of teen acne,(which has now virtually gone because of my 100% clean diet)
Food can be somewhat bland.

Dairy and gluten are a no go, and of course as is sugar.

I came across something called quorn, told some of you about it in the shoutbox.

It's a complete protein, which gives you a little more protein chicken and fish have per gram.
It's made from a sort of fungus, that's sold as an alternative for those who are vegetarian.

You can get it in many different forms, for example chicken style pieces, burgers, etc;
And it really does taste good, so much so I actually much preferred it to chicken.

Obviously I thought I'd really found something new that tasted great, and gave me all the benefits I needed for my lifting.
I've never really been a big fan of meat.
My family don't eat any red meat, and even chicken I'm not that keen on.

Now really stupidly, I didn't look into the ingredients thoroughly enough, and feel like a total idiot.
I briefly looked at the packet, saw egg white protein, some small amounts of soy, mycoprotein (which is the main part), etc;
Just skimmed it, and thought it looked OK.

When I got home I googled it to see what others say, and it seems some people get allergies to it, but other than that it's ok.

Why I just accepted that baffles me, I'm really angry at myself for not delving in further.
I clicked on about 3 different pages, all of which seemed to suggest it was alright so long as you didn't have an allergic reaction to it, and stupidly I took that on board.
I think it was the joy of finding something I could eat that had the protein, tasted good and wasn't bland, and wouldn't cause me to break out in spots.

Anyway, since then, quorn has made up 80 grams of my 225 grams of protein.
That's around 450 grams of the chicken style pieces, fried in olive oil.
Quinoa, which is my main carb makes up another 40 grams.
3 pieces of fish, which I've now learned how to make taste good make up another nearly 70,
and then my eggs making up 40, + fruit and veg.

I'd been merrily going along thinking everything diet wise was totally sorted.
Until tonight when I looked in more detail at the ingredients on the quorn packet, and realized there were a ton of ingredients, with long names, that I'd never heard of. Which in my experience is never a good sign, and something I totally, and stupidly, glossed over because of how happy I was I'd found this seemingly perfect food.

When I read this it dawned on me I might have made a big mistake.

I googled again, and this time didn't just look at the top websites of the first page.
Instead I looked in detail and the pages that weren't as popular, the one's people hadn't really looked at, and realized that really, no one really knows what goes into this stuff, there's a ton of ingredients on there that no ones heard of, and the company keeps quite apparently what the food is really made of, and the process that goes into making it.

Nearly all the sites I looked at now once I was now looking in detail and not through rose tinted glasses, said that Quorn is really just processed crap, and that no one should go near it.

Of course, those of you who know me and my OCD, will know this will have majorly worried me.

I've been eating 2 packets of it, 450 grams, every day..

I still here, sure, but I'm really freaking out that I might have done some long term damage.

As I say I cant believe I've been so stupid.

Obviously, when you find something that has everything you need and tastes great from the get go, without causing you a problem with your skin that most other foods seems to cause, it seemed like a great thing, and even thoguh it sounds so stupid, looking back I guess I didn't delve into research like I normally would because I didn't WANT to find anything wrong with it, which was ridiculous.

Of course now I'll just go back to chicken.
I'm not keen on it, but the rest of my diet I really like so.

I'll just substitute the quorn with the chicken to get the 80 grams I need from it and all should be good.

I don't know if anyone here will know, seen as you probably never heard of this stuff, but I'm worried.
Worried like I say that I've done some permanent damage to my health by eating this thing in pretty large quantities.
As I say I'm fine now, and this is obviously my OCD playing up, but I could really do with some reassurance, if it's possible to give on this.
Not sure if anyone knows in general the length of time you have to be on a certain food for it to be detrimental maybe?
I know it's massively vague but I'm not sure what to do.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

- Linden

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 04-10-2014 at 12:15 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,251, Level: 100 Points: 33,251, Level: 100 Points: 33,251, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

From what I heard if you are allergic to quorn's fungal mycoprotein the negative reaction will occur in a matter of hours. Sure, some people had severe reactions but that goes for peanuts and strawberries too.

Dont worry man, you will be allright

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
Likethebaldwin
Likethebaldwin
is keeping on.
Brawn
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
My Mood: Mellow
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor

I totally understand your anxiety man. I am prone to obsessive worrying myself. It seems like you have nothing to worry about though. The ingredients don't look harmful to me, everything seems plant or egg based with the exception of some mineral based firming agents. Too echo what big_swede said, I think if you had an averse reaction you would know pretty immediately. Chances are very slim that you have done any permanent damage. Also, just for some perspective, not all of the long hard to pronounce food additives are harmful. Many vitamins have very long science fiction sounding names for instance.

One more thing: I work at an independent health food store and we sell and serve a lot of faux meets similar quorn and they are highly regarded as healthy. The vegans that shop at my store get most of their protein from them and they seem to be in great health.

Hope this helps dude, you'll be fine
Likethebaldwin is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
Thorney
Thorney
likes to lift heavy stuff
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,226, Level: 19 Points: 1,226, Level: 19 Points: 1,226, Level: 19
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 21 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
My Mood: Cheerful
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

I have 2 quorn burgers every morning with bacon and egg. Love em.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
From what I heard if you are allergic to quorn's fungal mycoprotein the negative reaction will occur in a matter of hours. Sure, some people had severe reactions but that goes for peanuts and strawberries too.

Dont worry man, you will be allright
Oh great

Thanks for the reassurance Swede.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin View Post
I totally understand your anxiety man. I am prone to obsessive worrying myself. It seems like you have nothing to worry about though. The ingredients don't look harmful to me, everything seems plant or egg based with the exception of some mineral based firming agents. Too echo what big_swede said, I think if you had an averse reaction you would know pretty immediately. Chances are very slim that you have done any permanent damage. Also, just for some perspective, not all of the long hard to pronounce food additives are harmful. Many vitamins have very long science fiction sounding names for instance.

One more thing: I work at an independent health food store and we sell and serve a lot of faux meets similar quorn and they are highly regarded as healthy. The vegans that shop at my store get most of their protein from them and they seem to be in great health.

Hope this helps dude, you'll be fine

Thanks man, helped allot.

Thats interesting too, I mean perhaps I've got it wrong and quorn is ok to eat after all.

I think perhaps I should look into it more, just kind of freaked me when I first looked in depth.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
I have 2 quorn burgers every morning with bacon and egg. Love em.
Yeah, they taste good right?

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,461, Level: 75 Points: 13,461, Level: 75 Points: 13,461, Level: 75
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Today for lunch I had Cheetos, a pack of peanuts and a Coke zero. Stupid vending machines.

You don't need to worry about any damage at all, let alone long-term damage.

You're doing an awesome job man. You're doing all the things most of us would do if we could go back (and if we could muster the willpower, which is easier said than done).
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,433, Level: 42 Points: 4,433, Level: 42 Points: 4,433, Level: 42
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Inspired
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

Relax bud. I have health anxiety issues myself so I know exactly where you are coming from. i freak myself out about something fairly often. Just let it pass. you are all good. You haven;t harmed yourself certainly. Loads of people only eat processed crap all through college and it doesn't do them any harm. I know what these worries are like though but try your best to put it out of your mind.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Why are you avoiding gluten? I understand those that have to avoid it because they have issues with it but not others.

Many ingredients may be listed by long name references but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't natural or even good for you, just something to bear in mind.

Share with Facebook