Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Bdub
Bdub
likes to lift heavy things
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1-2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
Bdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributor
Default Letís talk Deload!

I would like to get some thoughts and opinions on deloading being that I have seen several different approaches to this. In the time I have been training seriously (little less than a year) and consistently with a good diet and training program I have only took about it easy about a week or so because of a slight injury. Seems like some people think deloading for a week every so often is the way to go and other people say itís not necessary if everything in your program is in check. What defines a deload also? Same routine with half the normal weight, less reps and less weight, etc?

Here is my current situation if anyone cares to give their thoughts on what I should do:

1) I am on a 3 day per week full body program currently on week 14 and havenít skipped a beat
2) I have made some good progression and continue to do so
3) My diet is in check and I been on a surplus to match my training and goals
4) My sleep and overall social life is good I do not have any stress problems

With all that being said I seem to be experiencing a few minor aches in some joints (elbows, knees) this week and feel like my CNS is a little more taxed than normal. I have a hard time backing off sometimes and like to go full bore all the time so I feel like my body may be telling me to take a little break. I see it a lot, people saying to take a ďdeloadĒ then come back the next week hammering it hard being even stronger.
My Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16007
Bdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Thorney
Thorney
likes to lift heavy stuff
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,373, Level: 20 Points: 1,373, Level: 20 Points: 1,373, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 21 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
My Mood: Cheerful
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

A typical deload is usually around 60% of usual working weight and 60% volume. (3x5 with 60kg instead of 5x5 with 100kg) I think auto regulating your training is the best way to reach your potential. You know your body better than anyone else does. If you think you'll feel better after a deload and come back stronger, ready to make some gains then take a deload. There's a lot of trial and error in this game, keep whatever works and get rid of the stuff that doesn't. You'll figure it out in time.
Stay strong.
Thorney is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A deload for me is just a form of rest. When I feel beat up I take several days off until I feel human again. I don't run with a set deload time.

You can also deload to take a break from the demands of a heavy work, even if you don't feel overly beat up. I recommend dropping either 60% of the volume, or better yet 60% of the weight.

Dual factor training looks at 2 things: fitness and fatigue levels. Sometimes fatigue can hinder fitness, or performance. Rest can allow fatigue to rescind so your performance/fitness levels shine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,635, Level: 48 Points: 5,635, Level: 48 Points: 5,635, Level: 48

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I've not been able to train consistently for a long time now, I usually lift twice a week if I'm lucky with multiple days in between each session. I feel okay every time I go and I haven't lost any strength from this. I think you should maybe cut back for one session and see if you start feeling better, or taking a couple days off.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

This is an interesting topic. I don't have anything to add, but subbing to see what folks think.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Thorney's post was spot on. I have found the need for a de-load for me can be a random kind of thing. I was sick for 2 1/2 months and felt weak when I resumed lifting. A de-load was what I needed. If I have been hitting it hard and my recovery begins to suck even with good rest and nutrition a de-load is a good thing. Being 50 years old, the older I get the more I find de-loads to be a good periodic remedy to suck sessions or recovery.

I also find a de-load week to be better for me than a complete week off without lifting. It keeps you in the groove of things without beating your body to crap any farther.
GeezerDude is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,514, Level: 98 Points: 27,514, Level: 98 Points: 27,514, Level: 98
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I like to combine deload days in order to get more complete days off. For example, if I am on a 4 day a week routine, I will train just 2 days, doing mainly the same lifts, but with appropriately reduced volume and weights. My body responds better to complete days off.

As far as frequency goes, listen to your body. I know that has been said a million times, but most lifters seem to not listen to their bodies, or do not yet know how. If this is the case, perhaps a pre-determined deload week is in order, as I always say better safe than sorry.

JB had me deload only after 4 weeks on his program, even tho I didn't feel a need for it at the start of the week, but I sure did feel the need a few days later. I am glad I did the deload, as my squats the week following were huge.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I hate it when people ascribe specific definitions to the term deload. I've never deloaded. If you're tired, then back off for a little while. If you're tired of training heavy, then do some light pump work for a session, or a week, or a month. If you like what you're doing, keep doing it.

If you aren't sure if you need a rest, then keep hitting it. A little overreaching is a good thing. If you feel achy in specific places, then use those aches to try and reevaluate your training and possibly shift the focus a little. Add some prehad and mobility stuff. If you just feel tired, unmotivated, sad, or generally not so great, just back off a little. do what you feel like doing for a few days. If that means training a little differently, then train differently. If it means going golfing, then go golfing. If it means sitting around and watching movies, then...well there you go.

Long term goals are good, but sometimes it's good to forget about them and just enjoy yourself for a little while. That will get your head back in the game.

5 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,811, Level: 73 Points: 12,811, Level: 73 Points: 12,811, Level: 73
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Unless someone is programming for you like in Squatters example, I wouldnt take a deload/off time on a schedule, because what if I still feel good?

What you describe sounds like its about time to back it down for a session or two. Dont forget about other factors, if youre sleep or food has changed.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

I absolutely HATE to deload and take time off. I just really enjoy lifting and being in the gym with friends. Sometimes it is necessary though. I usually just need a mental break. I try to take some time off right before I get to that point I'm forced to. As long as everything is going OK I usually don't worry about deloads until I'm closing in on a meet.
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook