Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
marbleminstrel
marbleminstrel
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 771, Level: 14 Points: 771, Level: 14 Points: 771, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

marbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good start
Default Program Critique?

Hey I just wanted to follow a simple full body program. I have a program which I made for myself. I haven't tried it out yet. I wanted to know if it is suitable and if any changes should be made. e.g total volume, intensity or progression .

Day 1 Barbell Back Squat: 4 sets total of 35 reps. Once I get 35 reps I'll up the weight by 2.5kg. If I am in a rut I will lower the volume by 5 reps. Until I hit a pr of 4 sets total of 20 reps. And then start again with a heavier weight than before and try and get 35 reps.
Flat barbell Bench: 5 sets total of 35 reps: Same as above.
One arm Dumbbell rows: 4 sets total of 35 reps: Similar to above.
curls 3 sets

Day 2 Deadlift 1-4 sets of 6*, Overhead press 3 sets total of 24 reps similar to above , Chins 4 sets total of 25 reps. Similar to above. Dips 3 sets total of 25 reps.

Day 3. Squats: Same as above. Bench Same as above. Rows same as above. curls 3 sets.

* Deadlift progression e.g week 1 90kg 4 sets of 6, week 2 90kg 3 reps 95 kg 3 sets of 6, week 3 90,95 3 reps 2 sets of 6 100kg, Week 490,95,100 for 3 reps then 1 set of 6 at 105kg. Start again at 95kg.

Note: I have more pushing volume than pulling volume because I am much stronger at pulling than I am at pushing. My dumbell rows are 50 kg in each hand for 7 reps While I can do a 60 kg barbell bench for the same. I will adjust this in the future.
marbleminstrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

How many days per week? On which day are you doing the deadlifts? What goals to you have in mind regarding this training program?

Overall I would say decent exercise selection, linear progression is good.

As far as the deadlifts, you are decreasing volume and increasing intensity. Is that what you intend to do? I'm not really sure that this is a progression though because your increases in intensity are so small, but you are decreasing the volume considerably. What inspired you to choose this progression scheme for deadlifts?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
marbleminstrel
marbleminstrel
has no status.
New Brawn

marbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good startmarbleminstrel is off to a good start

3 days a week. On day 1 I will Squat, day 2 deadlift and then day 3 squat again. I did intend to decrease the volume as I increased the intensity. The reason I did this is when I did programs such as stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength I would do 1 set of deadlifts but as I added weight my form would get worse. I wanted to do a method similar to and old school kind of "Peaking." I have never done this before so this kind of made sense in my head. What would you suggest to be done for my deadlifts?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
KHVNTHOLOGY
KHVNTHOLOGY
>1500.
Killer Whale
New Brawn
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

My Mood: Sleepy
KHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleminstrel View Post
Note: I have more pushing volume than pulling volume because I am much stronger at pulling than I am at pushing. My dumbell rows are 50 kg in each hand for 7 reps While I can do a 60 kg barbell bench for the same. I will adjust this in the future.
Just my 2 cents because you've obviously put some thought into this but be careful to take into account any possibility of imbalances. Folks such as Jim Wendler and Dave Tate have advocated a 1:2 ratio for push/pull volume to maintain a balance (for every 1 rep push do 2 reps pull) Something to think about. If you want to maintain this the way you have it written, consider adding in lesser stress work such as band pull-aparts, face-pulls, etc? Again just my 2 cents.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
3 days a week. On day 1 I will Squat, day 2 deadlift and then day 3 squat again. I did intend to decrease the volume as I increased the intensity. The reason I did this is when I did programs such as stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength I would do 1 set of deadlifts but as I added weight my form would get worse. I wanted to do a method similar to and old school kind of "Peaking." I have never done this before so this kind of made sense in my head. What would you suggest to be done for my deadlifts?
Ah, I see. I missed the deadlift annotation the first time.

It could work. Try it out and see how it works. If you get stronger doing it after about 8 weeks, then great.

For this type of progression/peak, I would work up to a heavy single, then do 1-3 back-off sets with lighter weight in the 3-5 rep range. That will help you train your CNS for peak strength while still continuing to build the deadlift. I am not saying your way can't work though.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
marbleminstrel
marbleminstrel
has no status.
New Brawn

So is facepulls 3 sets of 10 on day 2 after dips a good idea?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
KHVNTHOLOGY
KHVNTHOLOGY
>1500.
Killer Whale
New Brawn
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

My Mood: Sleepy
KHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good startKHVNTHOLOGY is off to a good start

Quote:
So is facepulls 3 sets of 10 on day 2 after dips a good idea?
Yes, whatever is easiest. Personally I prefer band pull-aparts, I do about 100 reps every morning or every night along with basic neck work. If you did this it would allow you to focus more on your core lifts for the day.

If you wanted to combine all your training into one day, to allow for good training economy you can try supersetting the face-pulls with antagonist exercises (ie: 1 set bench/dips then immediately 1 set facepulls, alternate between the two)

Last edited by KHVNTHOLOGY; 03-12-2014 at 05:11 AM.
KHVNTHOLOGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook