Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
CaseyB1987
CaseyB1987
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,124, Level: 27 Points: 2,124, Level: 27 Points: 2,124, Level: 27
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cool
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Hey Bro can I work in?

Yesterday when I was deadlifting some guy walked up to me and asked me something that I though was just stupid.

Guy: "Hey Bro can I work in?"

Me: "What!?"

Guy: "Can I work in in-between your sets?"

Me: "Well... I'm just starting to warm-up"

Guy: "Thats OK, I'll use whatever weight you use"

Me: "Uhh... Ok man, just let me finish warming up"

Guy: "Cool"

Then I warmed up to my working weight (290lbs) which ain't much. Did my first set and then turned around to see where that dude was, and he had garbed another bar and was lifting 135lb & it looked like it was killing him.

I thought, "What the F@#k, why the hell did he even ask me?"

When they say "can I work in", I just want to tell them "Hell No! I don't interrupt your sets, so don't interrupt mine!

Wait till I'm done and you can have the bar.

I know this is just a rant, but has anyone ever asked you that stupid question? And if so; what was your response?
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It's not a stupid question. How it works though, I'm not really sure. When I was being given my induction, the "trainer" even said that one guy that squats 80kg (not overly much for a lot of the guys here) is more than happy to have people work-in with him but that people feel too intimidated to approach him.

Like I say, I'm not sure how it works; do they unload/load the barbell for the person's weight load each rep? Should it really only be people that are basically level in their DL-ing/squatting abilities that should work-in together?

It'll be interesting to read comments of those that have worked-in with others and whether they are usually of the same sort of strength levels or whether there is a lot of plate changing occurring.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
GT55
GT55
Wants 900 in 1 yr
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
My Mood: Stressed
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

I hate these approaches too... Last week had a guy ask if he can work in between my squat sets. I said ok, because I was working 20 reps, it takes me at least 3 mins to recover. Otherwise I just say no.
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,274, Level: 79 Points: 15,274, Level: 79 Points: 15,274, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I don't mind working in with people when the weights being used are similar. Trade off between sets, wipe down the bench if you sweat a lot, and you have a free spotter. only time I don't like it is for deadlifts when I usually have an extra 2 PPS than they do, then it gets tiring loading and unloading.

But honestly, if there is a free bench/rack/whatever it is a little odd that someone would want to work in.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Bdub
Bdub
likes to lift heavy things
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19 Points: 1,216, Level: 19
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 1-2 years
My Mood: Yeehaw
Bdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributor

Iíve had someone ask to work in on some barbell shrugs I was doing and was going to use the same weight so that wasnít really a big deal. But if it was something more like squats, deads, bench or any main compound lift I was doing I would ask them to wait. I would never ask to work in with someone elseís sets so I guess I wouldnít expect someone to ask me. I kinda have a routine I stick to when I walk into the gym that I donít like to be interrupted. Itís not to be a prick or act like some badass just like to get in my zone and do my thing. Luckily my gym isnít usually very crowded at the time I lift but lately it has gotten more activity. Iím sure some people think Iím a prick but I really am a nice guy and willing to help out you just have to show some respect to get some respect. Itís the same thing that goes for chatting it up I donít mind people asking questions or brief conversations if it has to do with weight lifting stuff but Iím not really there to talk about what truck your thinking about getting next and what I think about it.
My Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16007
Bdub is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I don't think I'd ever get anyone asking to work-in with me but I also have a set approach, by the time I've swapped plates, I'm ready to lift again so it would cause an issue by throwing my timing out...which really is a case of lift, add plates, lift...no real pauses to speak of.

It's also great to read the replies just in case there is just that option, if I ever go to the gym, I'll have a better appreciation of whether to ask to work-in or not and not be offended should they say no, knowing that they have their reasons for doing so.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
CaseyB1987
CaseyB1987
has no status.
Uber Brawn

CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I wouldn't mind letting someone work-in on squats & bench cuz its easier to load and unload plates, but I still think its kinda rude.

I guess its because I like training by myself and when I enter the gym I have a routine that I follow. And once I start I don't like to be interrupted. I try to be respectful of other people and leave them alone when their lifting and I expect the same respect.

Some people might think I'm an asshole but I just want to do my thing and then leave. But if someone needs a spot I'm more than happy to help them. I've spotted for lots of people, and when the ask why I dont really talk to anyone, I just say "I like to focus on lifting".

I think from now on when someone asks me if they can work-in, I'll just polity say "No, could you please wait till I'm done".

And if they get mad, well... they can just be mad.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,547, Level: 47 Points: 5,547, Level: 47 Points: 5,547, Level: 47
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

The only time I've ever been approached for work-ins are by people that just wanted to talk and have a friend. No one wants to work in with a sweaty fat guy that everyone thinks is crazy. There might be something to looking bat-crap crazy

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,061, Level: 77 Points: 14,061, Level: 77 Points: 14,061, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I hate it. When I was doing DC training it wasn't possible, because I was doing rest-pause work. Luckily that's not really part of the vernacular where I currently train. Most people are there in bro groups anyways, so they keep to their group and follow their bro leader.

Most people are smart enough to know that there's no way in hell they're gonna use the weights I use.

Last edited by Soldier; 02-26-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
CaseyB1987
CaseyB1987
has no status.
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
bro leader.
Hahaha.... That guy must have been lost without his bro pack!

I think I'm gonna earn a reputation as the one guy you dont talk to.

Maybe is should do like cutty and try to look like a bat shit crazy barbarian.

Share with Facebook