Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
pbateman91
pbateman91
has no status.
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

pbateman91 is new to the forumpbateman91 is new to the forumpbateman91 is new to the forum
Default Getting back into it again.

Hello everyone,

I've been a longtime lurker and I finally decided to make an account because I find the community to be awesome! Anyways I sort of need some help or a direction of sorts.

Long story short, I just recovered from a pilonidal cyst removal surgery. It lasted almost a year because the wound kept reopening and I ended up being allergic to the pain killers. I ended up dropping 20 pounds because it killed my appetite, that and I stopped working out (Went from 140 to 120 lbs- Also I'm 5'9").

So I know that eating is going to be my main goal and after much research, eating of course is going to be more important than a program itself. However, that is where I need help. Maybe not an exact program to pick (though that would be nice) but more of what kind of program to follow. I've had much conflicting info from many people over the years. I've been told by trainers in the past to stick to a 5-day bro-split, or by some people on reddit to merely just do Starting Strength (my main goal is just an improved physique, although strength gains would be nice, just icing on the cake).

What I did was do a little bit of both off and on for about a year until I had to get that damn cyst removed. So now I'm wanting to get back into the swing of things. So my question to you all, is what kind of program I should follow? Strength or bodybuilding? And if either, what kind? Full-body or a split?

I apologized for the long post but any sort of advice/criticism/anything is appreciated!
pbateman91 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would start with a sensible 3 day fullbody for several months. You don't need to go bare bones like Starting Strength, nor do you need to go all out and go full 5 day split.

Here is a program I wrote that might be of interest. This is the type of program I would recommend:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...orkout-routine

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
pbateman91
pbateman91
has no status.

pbateman91 is new to the forumpbateman91 is new to the forumpbateman91 is new to the forum

Thanks Bearded Beast! I'm gonna give this workout a shot after finals. Question by the way, would it be alright to do light cardio on off days? Maybe like a 20-30 light jog or something?

Also, how long should I do this workout for? Like a year or should there be a specific bench/squat/dead goal weight before I move on to an advanced program?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman91 View Post
Thanks Bearded Beast! I'm gonna give this workout a shot after finals. Question by the way, would it be alright to do light cardio on off days? Maybe like a 20-30 light jog or something?

Also, how long should I do this workout for? Like a year or should there be a specific bench/squat/dead goal weight before I move on to an advanced program?
Hi pb; cardio on off days works fine. With the workout, milk it until progress stops and/or until you get bored with it and fancy something different, which some do; or until it no longer meets your goals and a different routine would.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,101, Level: 74 Points: 13,101, Level: 74 Points: 13,101, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

totally agree with BtB and 5kg.

I was 175 lbs and had a spine surgery. dropped to 150 lbs. (was 5'11")
My body gained back the weight as fat within a month (and I wasn't eating heavy!).
Took me another year to re-comp to prior muscle and Body fat levels.

I have found recovery takes almost as long as you were out of commission.

i would set my goals at reasonable and balanced strength markers for bench, military press, row, squat and dead lift before worrying about anything else. That will take as long as it does depending on your training, background, etc.

good luck

Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
pbateman91
pbateman91
has no status.

Hello all. Just have a couple more questions. So I just finished workout C (did workout A on Friday, B Sunday, C today) and I was wondering what to do with the second workout set regarding the second set of squats from this program. It says I should do one set of squats with 20 reps. Now do I use the same weight I used when I was doing reps 3-5? Or is it a lighter weight that I used for when I was doing warm up sets?

Also, the workouts have also taken me about two hours to finish. Is this too long or should there be a specific amount of time I should adhere to?

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,101, Level: 74 Points: 13,101, Level: 74 Points: 13,101, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman91 View Post
Hello all. Just have a couple more questions. So I just finished workout C (did workout A on Friday, B Sunday, C today) and I was wondering what to do with the second workout set regarding the second set of squats from this program. It says I should do one set of squats with 20 reps. Now do I use the same weight I used when I was doing reps 3-5? Or is it a lighter weight that I used for when I was doing warm up sets?

Also, the workouts have also taken me about two hours to finish. Is this too long or should there be a specific amount of time I should adhere to?
Looks to me like the 20 rep squats are a feeder set...

meaning, choose a a lighter weight than your working sets. a weight that the last few reps are more challenging for endurance than sheer pounds....don't use a weight that risks your form breaking down... bad squatting is very bad!

2 hours is a long workout, but ok if you feel ok.

I should for 45-60 minutes but it's all good if you can get your reps and recover by the next workout.

Share with Facebook