Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor
Default Question: high reps???

I have a question as to why bodybuilders use such high reps? For example Brad Borland here (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/nat...d-borland.html) shares his workout routine and his reps go as high as 15! Is this actually productive? Does this bring out different results? Do you have to be advanced to train in such a way?

I appreciate all the feedback and answers guys. Thanks!
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I think most beginner should use 8-10 reps the first year ATLEAST. That will get you strong and put some meat on you aswell. I see alot of beginners go on a advanced russian routine of whatever that consists of mainly sets with 1-3 reps. And it takes them nowhere or their progress is halted, or they get injured. Repwork is very underestimated, once your an high intermediate lifter or advanced you can start to do advanced programming. For most people, working in the 5-10 rep range will work even if your only goal is strength.

I consider myself intermediate strong and I learned that for me, sets of 8-10 on most lifts produce the best results for both strength and size.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
I have a question as to why bodybuilders use such high reps? For example Brad Borland here (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/nat...d-borland.html) shares his workout routine and his reps go as high as 15! Is this actually productive? Does this bring out different results? Do you have to be advanced to train in such a way?

I appreciate all the feedback and answers guys. Thanks!
There was a member, over there, that used 20 rep sets, which I found unusual because most others were not using such high range reps at all. He was a bodybuilder and had been competing, from what I recall, for quite a while. I believe he used them for several weeks every so often, then altered his rep range to a lower range.

He was in great shape, had plenty of lean mass, so I assume he was getting the results he wanted from them.

I'm not sure you have to be advanced to train in the 20 rep range because that's the rep range I started out with which is what surprised me when I saw the bodybuilder using almost the same set-up, with a similar number of exercise, rep range and sets to what I was using when I initially began; however, from what I can remember, he only utilised the set-up at the start of each program/routine that he appeared to be doing, because after a few weeks, the 20-rep sets would be replaced with a lower rep range set-up.

I can't remember his name so can't locate his journal for you to look at. I looked through some of the journals, to see if it would trigger the memory because I think you would have been interested to read it, but sadly I can't find it.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,808, Level: 32 Points: 2,808, Level: 32 Points: 2,808, Level: 32
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Advanced guys tend to be on higher doses of gear and continue growing no matter what they do. Most people still chase the "pump" aka high reps and it's rather useless for non enhanced lifters. Most people I see in the gym do around 15 reps and still look the same month after month. Most don't do many compound lifts either so that's a major factor. If they were doing 15 rep sets with compounds and adding weight over time, they would still grow, but 6-12 rep range works well because its heavier and progress can be made faster and more effectively.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,369, Level: 67 Points: 10,369, Level: 67 Points: 10,369, Level: 67
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

CT fletcher claims to do sets of 100-200
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,808, Level: 32 Points: 2,808, Level: 32 Points: 2,808, Level: 32
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
might as well go jogging at that point.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100 Points: 33,786, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
I tryed to do sets of 50-150 on some exercises, like leg extensions. Made my quads grew like weeds in a short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravenFenix View Post
might as well go jogging at that point.
Time under tension should not be underestimated for hypertrophy.

If you manage to do a set of 50 rep squats, you will not stay small =)

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
GT55
GT55
Wants 900 in 1 yr
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
My Mood: Stressed
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I tryed to do sets of 50-150 on some exercises, like leg extensions. Made my quads grew like weeds in a short time.

Time under tension should not be underestimated for hypertrophy.

If you manage to do a set of 50 rep squats, you will not stay small =)
As a beginner, im still confused with the "big muscles are strong muscles" versus "high reps for hypertrophy" discussion...
Im guessing you have to be strong first, in order to be able to an effective set of 20+ reps if you're looking to get big?
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #9
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
As a beginner, im still confused with the "big muscles are strong muscles" versus "high reps for hypertrophy" discussion...
Im guessing you have to be strong first, in order to be able to an effective set of 20+ reps if you're looking to get big?
It does not matter if your first set of 20 rep squats are with an empty bar as long as you add a couple of lbs next time and go for 20 reps and put in the effort.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #10
GT55
GT55
Wants 900 in 1 yr
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
My Mood: Stressed
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
It does not matter if your first set of 20 rep squats are with an empty bar as long as you add a couple of lbs next time and go for 20 reps and put in the effort.
OK. At the moment Im squatting 3 times a week. On my deadlift day, I deadlift first and then do my 20 reps squat. On the "B" day, I squat heavier for 5x5 as the first movement. I try to progress in weight on both. Thanks.

Last edited by GT55; 02-21-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: didnt make much sense!
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook