Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Regular Cardio Will Make You Fat

http://www.t-nation.com/training/reg...l-make-you-fat

Quote:
If you're dieting for a show and your lifting volume goes down but your cardio goes up, what's the primary stimulus your body is going to need to adapt to? The cardio. Now how does one become more efficient at slow, aerobic cardio? By decreasing overall energy output, which means burning fewer calories to do the same activity.

So how do we increase energetic/caloric output? We get rid of the most metabolically expensive tissue we have that's taking up those calories, which means our muscle.

The net result is that you over-diet for a show, lose muscle, lose fullness, and your physique suffers. Or, for the non-competitive bodybuilder, you just cut into your muscular gains come summer when you all you wanted to do was cut down for the beach. Not the outcome you wanted.

The answer isn't to refrain from ever doing cardio, but to employ it intelligently.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,867, Level: 74 Points: 12,867, Level: 74 Points: 12,867, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

walk or sprint...skip the jog....

works for me!
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,427, Level: 47 Points: 5,427, Level: 47 Points: 5,427, Level: 47
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

What are your thoughts on this btb?

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,893, Level: 69 Points: 10,893, Level: 69 Points: 10,893, Level: 69
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Didn't read the whole article, but the key here to me is "if you are dieting for a show". In my mind this statement alone means it doesn't apply for 95% of the rest of us.
Having said that, run hill sprints. That is all.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,477, Level: 75 Points: 13,477, Level: 75 Points: 13,477, Level: 75
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Didn't read the whole article, but the key here to me is "if you are dieting for a show". In my mind this statement alone means it doesn't apply for 95% of the rest of us.
Having said that, run hill sprints. That is all.
I'd say it applies to everyone who's ever tried to cut while maintaining muscle, which means it probably applies to almost everyone here.

I actually read once about a figure competitor who couldn't cut fat because she was actually TOO in shape. She was so good at cardio that her body didn't have to dip into it's fat reserves. The answer was to cut almost all cardio, especially LISS. After she became deconditioned she started using cardio again and by slowly adding it back in she was able to burn calories.

But yeah, run hill sprints. Can't go wrong with those. Or pull/push something heavy.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I've read that people who run distance regularly tend to have increased fat levels on the calves (there was a study, not sure how many people were involved etc), although I don't think it probably relates very well to the professional athlete because they don't appear to look as though they have increased fat storage (though they may well have), so recreational marathon/long distance runners generally.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,893, Level: 69 Points: 10,893, Level: 69 Points: 10,893, Level: 69
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'd say it applies to everyone who's ever tried to cut while maintaining muscle, which means it probably applies to almost everyone here.

I actually read once about a figure competitor who couldn't cut fat because she was actually TOO in shape. She was so good at cardio that her body didn't have to dip into it's fat reserves. The answer was to cut almost all cardio, especially LISS. After she became deconditioned she started using cardio again and by slowly adding it back in she was able to burn calories.

But yeah, run hill sprints. Can't go wrong with those. Or pull/push something heavy.
Thanks for setting me straight. I don't know what i would do without you following me around the forum quoting me and telling me my opinion is wrong.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,336, Level: 96 Points: 26,336, Level: 96 Points: 26,336, Level: 96
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I take articles like this with a big grain of salt because they rarely, if ever, apply to guys my age. It's a whole different ballgame at 40+ because our bodies simply aren't the same.

I walk for 70 minutes a day during my breaks at work, and I enjoy every minute that I do on my Elliptical after my training in the JimGym on weeknights. Factor in 20 reppers on squats and other lifts, and I know I have it covered. Despite all of this, I am gaining good size and strength. Conditioning and cardio really are crucial for my overall health.

These kinds of articles simply do nothing except annoy me.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,477, Level: 75 Points: 13,477, Level: 75 Points: 13,477, Level: 75
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Thanks for setting me straight. I don't know what i would do without you following me around the forum quoting me and telling me my opinion is wrong.
I'm...sorry? I don't keep a special log of everyone with whom I disagree on internet forums.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Nephilim
Nephilim
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

Jumping rope is a great fat burner also. Old school boxers had the right idea.

Last edited by Nephilim; 03-01-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook