Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Xyanide
Xyanide
Lats need work
Brawn
Points: 639, Level: 12 Points: 639, Level: 12 Points: 639, Level: 12
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: ON Creatine Powder
My Mood: Amused
Xyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good posts
Default 10% and the other 90%

This video just made me thing really carefully about what the hell I want and expect form my life. Not just lifting, but everything. If anyone wants to discuss the topic in the video, then let's.

Xyanide is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I'm not a fan of Mr. Hulse, or his work.

But I'll try to put any potential bias aside, and address the guru's ramblings directly...

Ninety percent of your mind is in your body (sans brain, that is)...? Suuuure thing, dude.

Motivation comes from the body? Bullshit. Motivation, unless it just kinda happens to you (in which case, everything's cool, at least for now...), is actually a choice. Not a feeling, nothing fleeting like that. Applied willpower, is all. "Motivation", as most people think of it, is a lie.

Essentially, if you're feeling "unmotivated", you need to sack up and make a better choice. Yes, it's that simple.

Well, that's my take on all that.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Well put Dray!

Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I feel motivated by making better choices. Everything in life comes down to choices for me. Do I squat when I am tired? Or do I take the day off? Do I exercise so I can reach my goals, or do I wait until tomorrow?

If I am feeling like crap do I watch a lifting video, read an article or other's training logs to fire me up, or do I play more video games and eat cookies?

Life is about choice for me. I have control. Do I embrace that or not?

I also need realistic goals. I don't go into the gym to be Jay Cutler. I go into the gym to be one rep better than last time. That is a goal I can conquer.

The act of watching a video, like the one in this thread, might temporarily motivate someone. But they still have to make better choices.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-07-2014 at 09:24 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Epinephrine
Epinephrine
is building the beast
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Mood: Twisted
Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

Dray I agree with you 100%. I don't wake up every morning and do cardio because I feel like doing it. It's because I know I have to do it. Same with putting a shit ton of weight on your shoulders and squatting down and standing up until you puke. I don't "feel" like doing that at all.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I feel motivated by making better choices. Everything in life comes down to choices for me. Do I squat when I am tired? Or do I take the day off? Do I exercise so I can reach my goals, or do I wait until tomorrow?

If I am feeling like crap do I watch a lifting video, read an article or other's training logs to fire me up, or do I play more video games and eat cookies?

I also need realistic goals. I don't go into the gym to be Jay Cutler. I go into the gym to be one rep better than last time. That is a goal I can conquer.

The act of watching a video, like the one in this thread, might temporarily motivate someone. But they still have to make better choices.
This is all sorts of win. And i 100% agree.

I used to watch basketball and lifting videos until I had to wear glasses from looking at a screen too much (Serious!) and then one day I woke up and realised I'd seen everything I could watch really and was waiting for new motivational videos. I used to watch mixes and highlights all the time when I was resting. Now? I don't do it very often, sometimes I do if I'm super tired, but I'm too busy being motivated by my goals, my life, my loved ones and that round orange sack of air in my bedroom and where it could take me. I play because I love it, not for the money. That motivates me. The love for the game, and my desire to provide for those I love because none of us have ever had the privilige.
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,278, Level: 35 Points: 3,278, Level: 35 Points: 3,278, Level: 35
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:

Very well put! Gonna copy and share this on FB if that's ok. (with proper credit given, of course)

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74 Points: 12,925, Level: 74
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Everything in life comes down to choices for me.
That was the epiphany I had 20 years ago. Everything is better since.

Choice and consequences. Make one, accept the other, and you are free.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
fyremn
fyremn
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10 Points: 523, Level: 10
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
fyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
That was the epiphany I had 20 years ago. Everything is better since.

Choice and consequences. Make one, accept the other, and you are free.
I have had the same epiphany and for me I took it a little farther and realized that other people can make their own choices and it is not my fault or problem.. If my kids (they are adults now) make a bad choice it is not my fault -- it is their choice...

It took me awhile to get there but it was great when I did...
fyremn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
JTM811
JTM811
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good posts

Quote:

Can't agree enough with this. Unfortunately in my line of work I get to deal with people who more often make poor choices, are unmotivated, and take the easy way out of things rather than knuckle down and own up being accountable, responsible, and controlling their own destiny. Society as a whole seems to be accepting this type of behavior and allows it a free pass, rather than demanding more from people.

Being exceptional and rising up to make oneself better in spite of the odds is frowned upon. No just sit back, don't do a thing, it'll be taken care of for you.
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook