Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,608, Level: 75 Points: 13,608, Level: 75 Points: 13,608, Level: 75
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravenFenix View Post
We don't absorb all of your food intake 24 hours, if we eat more it takes longer to absorb. Let's just say you would absorb exactly 1500 every 12 hours. This is a totally random number and it's not taking into account varying digestion rates of carbs, fats, proteins. You have 3300 calories, that extra 300 wouldn't be absorbed until the 27-28 hour mark. Basically all it means is you can be couple hundred calories over or under and if you account for it the next day by eating more/less it all balances out. Since muscles remain stimulated for 24-48 hours after they have been trained the over under is irrelevant, net amount is what matters.

As you said you really have one heavy day and since zig zagging doesn't do anything unless you have more than one day off in a row from training. Since you have been doing it you know if you like it better then just going roughly equal calories daily, it's basically an extension of meal timing (1 vs 3 vs 6 meals) it ultimately doesn't matter which is baffling lol. SO I was just saying that if it becomes a pain at some point like it did for me, don't waste sleep or time thinking about it like I did.
I see what you're saying, even if I don't necessarily agree that it makes a system like this useless.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,793, Level: 38 Points: 3,793, Level: 38 Points: 3,793, Level: 38
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I ran a zig-zag style diet for a pretty long time when I thought I needed to cut weight. It worked really well for me. I also did a prep phased for about a week where I cut out all carbs though (similar to what is recommended in carb backloading). I just felt this kind of primed my system for the changes that were coming.

Either way, I liked the method and it seems to have some merit for people trying to slowly lose weight.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Biggraygrizzly
Biggraygrizzly
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 680, Level: 13 Points: 680, Level: 13 Points: 680, Level: 13

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
My Mood: Relaxed
Biggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggraygrizzly View Post
You may want to rotate you Kcal/carb and use the zero method to what weight your trying to get to or know as zig-zag you Kcal/carbs, I would do that when I dieting for a show.
The Zero Method is when you are trying to establish a base line for calories so let say you want to get to 220lbs and you want to establish how many calories to take in for a day
Goal weight 220lbs 220 + 0 = 2200 calories
So your base line is 2200 calories, and that's where you start
at let say you start you diet at 2200 calories on day one and
two, then on day three you lower you calorie intake to 1800
calories, and day four you increase it to 3000 calories and
then day five you go back 2200 calories, and the great thing
about the Zig-Zag method is that when you raise or lower kcal
carbs are controlled as well ,even though you are still have
Established a base line on how much carb you are taking in
as well, so as an example if I was training chest and biceps
my calories would be at 2200 Kcal, and on leg day 3000 Kcal
and my lower intake day I would train shoulders, but this did
go to plan as I just mentioned I would rotate days and some-
days leg would fall on 1800Kcal days and chest and biceps
would fall on 3000 Kcal days, so I say just keep it simple and
Zig -Zag and see if it work for you.
Keep me posted and Keep Pumping!
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
Thorney
Thorney
likes to lift heavy stuff
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 21 months
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
My Mood: Cheerful
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

I've been doing this kind of thing for last 12 or so weeks. Diet is the same but on training days i have my whey shake and half a protein flapjack. Works out at around 500 cals extra on training days and ive been trimming down nicely at 1lbs per week while still making strength gains.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Biggraygrizzly
Biggraygrizzly
has no status.
Brawn

Biggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some good posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
I've been doing this kind of thing for last 12 or so weeks. Diet is the same but on training days i have my whey shake and half a protein flapjack. Works out at around 500 cals extra on training days and ive been trimming down nicely at 1lbs per week while still making strength gains.
Exactly! With this program 1-2lb weight loss a week you can not go wrong
I use beef protein on my training days, can you give me the protein flap
-jack recipe, it sound good

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
Thorney
Thorney
likes to lift heavy stuff
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 21 months
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
My Mood: Cheerful
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

Its an NRG chocolate orange flapjack. One of my friend's dad owns a gym so they get them cheap. when this box runs out im gonna have a go a making some of my own, ill let you know how they turn out.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
Biggraygrizzly
Biggraygrizzly
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
Its an NRG chocolate orange flapjack. One of my friend's dad owns a gym so they get them cheap. when this box runs out im gonna have a go a making some of my own, ill let you know how they turn out.
I'll be waiting on it!

Share with Facebook