Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Are pull ups overrated?

Simple question. We were debating this in the shout box. What do you say?

Are pull ups overrated?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Overrated, in what sense? I think, if you do pull-ups at the expense of other exercises, then possibly it's not the best use of time etc but overall pull-ups are a great upperbody exercise which allow the muscles to be worked in a different manner to such as the overhead press which it complements perfectly.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,552, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

One of the points mentioned was...

Pull ups are far too easy for the skinny guys who need heavy resistance, and far too hard for the heavier trainee who may also need the back work.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
HumanHorrorFilm
HumanHorrorFilm
has no status.
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 7,962, Level: 60 Points: 7,962, Level: 60 Points: 7,962, Level: 60
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

My Mood: Aggressive
HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

I do excessive amounts of pullups

I also NEVER had any shoulder problems. When I was skinny, fat, weak, stronger, that was the MAIN constant.

Overrated in terms of mass building, yes. General shoulder health, no.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Pull ups are far too easy for the skinny guys who need heavy resistance, and far too hard for the heavier trainee who may also need the back work.
Some skinny people can't do them either, which is weird, I suppose, since you'd think that the lighter person would have no problem with pull-ups but some still do; that may come down to technique or other issues.

I guess for the skinny guy that can do them, adding resistance is all that's needed but I don't think that doing them without added resistance, negates the usefulness either, IMO, it may not add to them in terms of performance value but I'm not sure it takes anything from it, at the same time.

For the heavier guys that can't do them (and the lighter ones that can't either), I still feel a movement that works the body/upperback muscles at that angle is a wise choice of exercise to maintain balance within the workout; how to go about that though is another matter.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,903, Level: 91 Points: 20,903, Level: 91 Points: 20,903, Level: 91
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I think the combo of how we do them has really increased my upper back width and strength.

I am one of those fat guys who cant do many. We do them in several sets of 1 rep at a time. Hang, let the lats engage just like on the benchpress and then explode up. 30 seconds rest, and then do it again.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,122, Level: 77 Points: 14,122, Level: 77 Points: 14,122, Level: 77
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

It really depends on the person and the technique. If someone isn't strong enough or doesn't know the technique well enough to perform good pullups in the first place then they won't get anything out of them. I've seen lots of people do pullups by grabbing the bar, pulling exclusively with the arms while letting their chest cave in, then procede to bounce up and down with a very small ROM. That's not only useless, but it's asking for an injury.

When I do pullups I use a full rom and flex my back by sticking out my chest at the top. I feel them throughout my back.

Another issue with any bodyweight movement is that you become limited on the methods of progression you can employ. It's not usually very easy to add weight, especially in a controlled progressive way. The only way to really progress is to do more reps, and that will really only help if your specific goal is to build capacity for that specific movement.

I'm a big fan of band assisted pullups though. They let you bypass a lot of the problems with pullups. You don't need to be very strong, and you can also add weight progressively by using a less powerful band.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
OneMorePlate
OneMorePlate
Rehab/ Phoenix style
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I think the combo of how we do them has really increased my upper back width and strength.

We do them in several sets of 1 rep at a time. Hang, let the lats engage just like on the benchpress and then explode up. 30 seconds rest, and then do it again.
Curious, what's your eccentric tempo, down slow?

Know tempo is not the flavor of the day, maybe bc who wants more slow twitch.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,412, Level: 29 Points: 2,412, Level: 29 Points: 2,412, Level: 29
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

I can't imagine this being a real problem unless you are very very heavy. Heavy guys can usually by doing negatives in a couple weeks build up to a couple of full reps per set, you can then start building upon that.

The lighter guys could just do more reps really (this whole notion of 'if you go over 10 reps you're training endurance and not getting stronger is stupid). Someone who can do 21 pullups is stronger than someone who can do 11 pullups, and assuming you properly train your entire body for strength, 20+ reps is going to be hard to achieve. The guys who can do semi high reps (~15) are usually the ones that don't even train legs, obviously these people don't care about training properly anyway so this entire thread would be wasted on them.

Once the reps start getting really high you can always just add some weight by either using a 'dipping belt' or holding a dumbell with your feet.

Edit: +1 on the band assisted pullups for those who aren't strong enough yet.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
I can't imagine this being a real problem unless you are very very heavy.
Like 2/3rds of MAB?

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook