Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
jrodt12
jrodt12
Slow and steady
Brawn
Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Bicep curls... Obviously
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Relaxed
jrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good posts
Default Routine critique and advice

Due to work scheduling and other variables being changed, for the next few months I will be training two days a week. However I will at most have a full day off between training days, and more likely they will be back to back.

I've been thinking either a full body:

A)
Squat: 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, 1 set of 10 reps
OHP: 3-6 sets of 6-8 reps
Chin variation: 3-5 reps between pressing sets

B)
Deads: 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps
Bench:3-6 sets of 6-8 reps
Pull a parts/upper back work: between bench sets

Or an upper/lower split where I would vary rep ranges more
Example:

Week 1: Bench: heavy, triples, singles
OHP: light, 6-10 reps, fewer sets
Week 2: Opposite

And then do the same on lower body days. Either way I'm training the four lifts I want to once a week. I'm just wondering recovery wise what the better option will be, as in with the days so close together would it be better to keep the strain on the shoulder girdle and low back on separate days? Also any other suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jrodt12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75 Points: 13,641, Level: 75
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

If you have to train only 2 days a week and those days will be at the most 1 day apart, I'd think outside the box. Do full body both days, but make the first day your strength day and the second day your hypertrophy day. On the first day train heavy with low reps and low volume. You could alternate deadlifts and squats (like the lillebridge method, only doing 1 per week), then do heavy push and pull variations, always keeping the weights heavy to focus the stimulation on the CNS without frying the muscles too much.

Then on the second day you could do higher rep bodybuilding style training to really push the muscles. If your CNS is tired from the first day it shouldn't really effect you on the hypertrophy day, and your muscles should be too sore/tired from the heavy day as long as you keep the volume and reps low.

I know it's a little different, but if you're interested I could work up an outline of a routine for you.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
jrodt12
jrodt12
Slow and steady
Brawn

jrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good posts

Awesome thank you for the reply! That makes pretty good sense to me thinking about it, and yes I'm definitely interested.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Cool. If I were going to do this it would look something like this;

Day 1, heavy day-
Start with at least 10 minutes of mobility work to loosen up after 4 days of no training.

You'll do 3 movements on day 1. Here's the options in the order you'll do them;

1. Pressing variation- Bench, incline, or military press. Barbell or dumbbell.
2. Lower body- Squat, deadlift, sumo deadlift.
3. Pulling variation- Pendlay rows (My personal favorite for pulling power), bent over rows, cable rows.

For each movement you'll use pyramiding sets of 3 to work up to a little less than a max triple. Keep even the warmup sets to 3 and try to move the bar as fast as possible. When you get close to a max triple with some room to spare, try to get 2 more sets with that weight.

You'll end up doing 3x3. The reason to leave room to spare is that each time you use that movement again you'll try to hit the 3x3 with more weight than last time.

If you're doing a movement where you aren't 100% on your form yet, use 3 sets of 5 instead. The 2 extra reps will keep the weights lighter and lessen the chance on injury. Stick with 5 reps until you feel like you have the movement down really well, then switch to 3 reps.

There will only be 9 working sets on day 1.

Day 2, hypertrophy day-
You'll do more movements on day 2. Here are the options for each movement in the order you'll do them. All exercises can be swapped for machines if you want to, but don't use machines for everything every week.

Chest- bench or incline, barbell or dumbbell.
Back width- pullups, pulldowns.
Shoulders- military press, dumbbell OHP, lateral raise.
Back thickness- Any rowing variation.
Hamstrings- leg curls, GHR.
Quads- Leg extension, leg press, hack squat, narrow stance squat.

Feel free to throw in some arm and calf work as well.

Each movement will be done for at least 2 warmup sets, followed by 1 all-out set to or past failure. Try to get at least 15 perfect reps, then once you can't do perfect reps anymore keep performing partial reps as long as possible (machines are good for forced reps. Use a spotter if your using free weights). If you get at least 15 perfect reps on your working set, increase the weight next time you do that movement.

Of course, this is just a rough outline. There are a number of ways you could go with it.
Goals-
Win.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
jrodt12
jrodt12
Slow and steady
Brawn

Thumbs up

Soldier,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up. It looks like pretty much exactly what I was looking for, definitely going to give it a go.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I think if it was me and I had two days that would be a day apart or sometimes back to back, I'd do Bench, Chins, OHP on the first day, and Squats, Deadlifts and Rows on the second day.

Then the second week, do OHP before Bench and Deadlifts before Squats and cycle it that way. On the odd evening you had time you could do the upper back, pushups, Abs, curls, what have you as those don't need much equipment if any.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodt12 View Post
Soldier,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up. It looks like pretty much exactly what I was looking for, definitely going to give it a go.
No problem at all. I enjoy doing stuff like that. Don't be afraid to modify and experiment if you want to hit certain things more than others.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook