Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Form Critique... Be Gentle!!

Okay so I think I posted this in the Excercise Form area but assumed it had to be approved, which made me think maybe it was in the wrong place. I can't see it there anywho.

Anyway!!

Deadlift and Bench Form Critique please guys!

Some things you should know

- First heavy Deadlift session in 2.5 months due to Injury
- I know that I have broken head syndrome
- I know that I have too much rounding in the back
- Hips are still tight but getting better daily

- The Bench hasn't been done for me for about 2 months. I've been DB Benching and getting A LOT stronger!
- My long arms make the bench look really weird and awkward for me. 6 ft 7 armspan, 6 ft 2 me!
- My Bench is stronger with a closer grip than a wider
- I'm a Basketball player, not a bodybuilder!!

Bench Form

1st Set (In video) - 60kg / 132lbs
2nd Set (In Video) - 80kg / 176lbs
3rd Set (In video - Straight on, last clip) - 90kg / 198lbs

Deadlift Form

1st Set - 155kg / 341lbs
2nd Set - 155kg / 341lbs

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by JumpmanRugs; 01-05-2014 at 10:45 AM.
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Your deadlift stance is a "tweener stance". It's neither conventional or sumo. It is a stance that is trying to figure out what it's doing.

If you're going to go sumo you need to widen your feet and turn those toes out. If you're going to go conventional you need to bring the feet in and get your hands on the outside of your legs.

Your current pseudo-sumo you are hanging out over the bar. If you stick with sumo you must lower the hips, stick your chest out, tighten that lower back and pull. This will help you get your center of gravity more back behind the bar and save your lower back. It will also improve leverage and reduce risk of injury.

Bench press you are completely flat-backed with no upper body tightness. I recommend watching some videos here on MAB:

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6262

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6161

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6156

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6150

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6143

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6148

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6140

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ead.php?t=6136

These are all found in our video compilations sub-forum which contains a wealth of knowledge on every lift.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn

JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Your deadlift stance is a "tweener stance". It's neither conventional or sumo. It is a stance that is trying to figure out what it's doing.

If you're going to go sumo you need to widen your feet and turn those toes out. If you're going to go conventional you need to bring the feet in and get your hands on the outside of your legs.

Your current pseudo-sumo you are hanging out over the bar. If you stick with sumo you must lower the hips, stick your chest out, tighten that lower back and pull. This will help you get your center of gravity more back behind the bar and save your lower back. It will also improve leverage and reduce risk of injury.

Bench press you are completely flat-backed with no upper body tightness. I recommend watching some videos here on MAB:

These are all found in our video compilations sub-forum which contains a wealth of knowledge on every lift.
Extremely helpful response, thanks BTB!

With the stance I have I am more comfortable than conventional dead form. So with Sumo how much further out am I looking to go? Will this have any effects (negative or positive) different from Conventional? My hips are still tight but getting better, and I am deadlifting again tomorrow so I will record that one and see if my form is any better after your tips! Which deadlift do you think I would be more suited to based on my length?

In reference to the Bench Press, all of those resources were extremely helpful and I'm looking forward to benching again and seeing how much different It feels. The one thing that confused me is that in the first two (Not the Rippetoe collection) it looks as if their ass isn't on the bench, though Rippetoe says it should be? Which am I better off going with? Is it touching the bench and I just can't see it because of the angle? The arch looks very severe. I will practice it though! I am going to do a few practice Bench sets tomorrow morning so will let you know how I get on with that. I'll upload that video and you can see what you think!

My upper body relaxes, you are most definitely right there, and I am assuming that is why I struggle to get the bar back up because there is no solid base there?

Thanks again BTB, this has been extremely insightful! I want to be the strongest basketball player to ever grace a court, and this will help! Thank you so much!!

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,553, Level: 37 Points: 3,553, Level: 37 Points: 3,553, Level: 37
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

I suck at benching, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

I've recently been pulling a lot sumo my stance is certainly fairly wider than yours and I'm only 5'8. Bring your stance out wider the next time you deadlift and record the video.

Other than that, I'd say to cue that you're pulling the weight back rather than up and to be careful about jerking the bar off the floor.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
nighttrain
nighttrain
is heading back over the atlantic
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Air Hockey Average Champion! Football Frenzy Champion! Yahtzee! Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 20+
My Mood: Inspired
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

here is a video I made about a year ago, it shows where I set up my feet for sumo deads... hope this helps out

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9vbCmmyImGg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by nighttrain; 01-05-2014 at 12:48 PM.
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
nighttrain
nighttrain
is heading back over the atlantic
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Air Hockey Average Champion! Football Frenzy Champion! Yahtzee! Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 20+
My Mood: Inspired
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

here is a video I made about a year ago, it shows where I set up my feet for sumo deads... hope this helps out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbCmmyImGg

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,035, Level: 40 Points: 4,035, Level: 40 Points: 4,035, Level: 40

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Also to add for sumo, push your knees out

On the bench, your wrists are bent back a lot. Try and keep your wrist in line with your forearm as you are losing lots of power
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,593, Level: 73 Points: 12,593, Level: 73 Points: 12,593, Level: 73
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

On the bench, your wrists are bent back a lot. Try and keep your wrist in line with your forearm as you are losing lots of power
Set the bar deep in your hand, close to your thumb, and squeeze the crap out of it.

I've never seen anyone bother doing a mixed grip while wearing straps.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69 Points: 11,138, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Agreed. Either mixed grip with no straps or double overhand with straps.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
I suck at benching, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

I've recently been pulling a lot sumo my stance is certainly fairly wider than yours and I'm only 5'8. Bring your stance out wider the next time you deadlift and record the video.

Other than that, I'd say to cue that you're pulling the weight back rather than up and to be careful about jerking the bar off the floor.
Haha!

I tried to Sumo this morning but my hips aren't flexible enough right now so it caused me a lot of discomfort. Won't be doing that again!

Yeah the Jerking needed to be fixed, it is now after watching some stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbCmmyImGg
Really helpful thanks dude!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Also to add for sumo, push your knees out

Thanks Bill! As I said above I won't be doing Sumo anymore, I felt more powerful with narrow stance deadlifts, but thanks for the dead tips! I always felt I was too but will fix it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Set the bar deep in your hand, close to your thumb, and squeeze the crap out of it.

First tip will be taken on board and used! Thanks dude! Is that with a thumb with a regular grip or suicide grip?
I'm assuming regular?

Yeah I got in to a routine with mixed grip and for some reason didn't mix up when strapped. Did this morning, felt good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Agreed. Either mixed grip with no straps or double overhand with straps.
I did double over this time. Video below

Share with Facebook