Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
Kag94
Kag94
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Sqwartz
Fav Supp: Caffeine
Kag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good posts

Just asking but since going off cycle have you gotten bloods done? That most likely is you're issue..

Share with Facebook
Members of Muscle and Brawn Forums have rated post 445691 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,422, Level: 65 Points: 9,422, Level: 65 Points: 9,422, Level: 65
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I've never been gifted when it comes to training. I've had to accept that I'll always have a little more fat, a little less muscle, and be a little weaker than other people. That may seem defeatist, but it's true.
LOL. It IS defeatist, *and* it is NOT true.

Quote:
The truth is that I'm really just impatient. Combine that with shitty genetics and my busy schedule and things get tough sometimes.
Ha! The fuck you have "shitty genetics", mate. I would trade, and happily.

I suspect it's really down to the bolded bit, and...

Quote:
You know me, I love programs, and the more "gimmicky" the better.
... this as well.

I also had to learn the hard way, that flitting from cool program to cooler program is one of the worst things you can do for progress, and that consistency - that thing people bang on about all the time - really is that damn important. Including a consistent diet (not cycling macros or whatever the hell that was all about...)

Genetics! LMAO.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #13
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
I've never been gifted when it comes to training. I've had to accept that I'll always have a little more fat, a little less muscle, and be a little weaker than other people.
Enthusiasm is: A quiet spiritual strength: An inner glow: Faith in action:

One of the Greatest assets one can possess. And, it begins with "Attitude".

Success is a process not an event.........ROCK ON!

This post's underlying meaning is hard love. My brother, grow some hair on them der balls. No, pitty from me, my friend.

For the best that is within you, I bust yo-ass. Soldier, there isn't a person on this earth, that doesn't have issues or problems to deal with. I am no different and your no different. I could sit here right now, and flood my kitchen with cry-baby tear water, and it would begin to fill the kitchen to drown my cry-baby whinen' ass. And, if I "allowed" my "attitude" to do this, then I would get my just reward.

You have issues, bah! In reality your issues pale, and I say again, pale in comparison to my wife's medical and physical issues. And, she is the strongest and most "attitude-strong" person I know. None, of your issues come close to being even near the same level as hers, and she fights, learns, and learns to fight again. With a body that is simply not capable of matching her attitude and passion. But, she makes it rise up and be better than it other wise would.

The root cause? Its root is within the attitude and passion within her head and heart.

Stop your darn belly aching.

Giving up, quitting, and personally resigning from: Being sick and tired of being sick and tired of the struggle and frustrations, will only make you end up being sick and tired of your----just reward. And, you only have to point the scanner within, to find out where the personal fault is.

Being disappointed and depressed, going down, "temporary", will allow a passionate person and a person with the correct attitude, some time to "reflect and correct", and then get back up on their own two feet as a young man, and act like they "want" something.

This reminds me of one of my personal favorite comments, from "Rocky":

Rocky Balboa: "Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!"

Yes, Soldier, you are better than that. Anything that is worth obtaining is hard, hard to earn. You have no choice but to work at it. Get the heck over it, and BUST YOUR OWN ASS! Stick a foot right up your anus.

The beauty of a person begins to grow on the inside, before it manifests and grows on the outside.

Look. I am 52 years old. I have lower testosterone as compared to my younger comrades, I will never, ever, no matter what I do, build muscle on par with my younger comrades. There are persons on this site, that will always being stronger than me (as far as amount of weight being pushed or pulled). I have many struggles (especially early on in my goal path), in getting lean, and getting to certain BF percentage points (all of which I have overcome, with attitude, and a desire to not give up). I am small (by personal design), lean, and desire to have physique in line with overall conditioning and strength. There will always be someone stronger, and physically better than me. I just try to improve and "work with" me, and make myself better. I learn and adapt, as my journey does not have a destination, rather pit stops (goals), with always wanting to learn and improve the quality of person I am.

Why? Because, I just want create a person that is at: "my personal best", "to be all it can be", and I compare it to no one. I am a hard ass, and realize you have to be hard. Hard on yourself. And, nothing is easily obtained.

To call out the "Best Within You". Stop your crying, get up and stand on your two feet, point the scanner within, and tell yourself: No matter what the issues are, no matter what the problems are, it will "always" point back to "you", your attitude, and passion, to get things done, and this will not ever, ever change, no matter how much you whine.

From my heart to: "The best within you, Soldier".

Look ahead: See through the trees and the small irritating hills that gather in your way.
Let it take your BREATH AWAY as you see yourself reflecting back showing you the way.

Where the heart is willing, you will find infinite ways. Where the heart is unwilling, it will find a infinite excuses.

Do not provide excuses for your failings. Rather find a reason for your successes.

Your goal is the inner truth RESTORED; do not be IGNORED; Get your REWARD.

Your GOAL is part of your SOUL; please CONSOLE; and make yourself WHOLE

================================================== ================

Soldier: Do not worry. Your experience, your hard work, your growth, and your struggles are not being wasted, for your Inner Being accumulates every particle of every experience that you have ever lived, or that you are now living, and can lay the foundation of your future, if your attitude and mind are correct.

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 01-10-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,365, Level: 100 Points: 33,365, Level: 100 Points: 33,365, Level: 100
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

You need to set 1 goal and follow it. Once you determined what you want to be, its easy since you start think about what you loose. May it be strength oriented or aesthetic oriented, its hard to achieve both at the same time for most people.

BtB is spot on, find a FUN way to train. A program that give you the feeling of want to get right back in the gym for next session as soon as your done with the first.

Its an hobby, an interest and its not that damn serious after all. A hobby should be fun and relaxing and not something that creates anxiety.

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

To continue from my last post:

Ways to BLAST PAST OBSTACLES!

Obstacles tend to be unexpected but should be expected.

They can come at the most inconvenient times-----when is the right time?

The CENTRAL KEY to dealing with them is ATTITUDE. When you see a detour sign on the way to work, do you say, "oh, well", shrug your shoulders and go home?..........LOL.........of course not.

Obstacles are to be faced and overcome.

1. Realize that what may be an obstacle for you may be nothing for another person and vice versa:

Is this really an obstacle or are you choosing to look at this way?
So, you have had problems with getting lean and getting strong at times. You have a wealth of information right at your finger tips, to aide your cause.

Then you need to just get your "mind off its ass". Ya got that?

2. Look at who and what's in your corner with you.

Just like a boxer has his trainer, coach, and manager in the corner to keep him going every round, so should you have your own team in your corner.

Determine what kind of support and help you NEED, then ASK THEM.

3. BACK OFF!

Remain COOL and objective.

4. What you would you tell a friend if they were faced with the same problem?

Sometimes its easier to tell a someone else how to approach an obstacle and how to get around it

ACT AS YOUR OWN FRIEND.

5. See yourself conquring the Obstacle. Then work your way back.

Visualize having achieved your desired end result. Then work backwards to determine what you need to do, what kind of person you need to be, and to achieve that result. Hindsight...........20/20?

6. DONT BE SHY! Ask for it!

A direct request for help and support is all that is sometimes necessary to get what you need to conquer the obstacle.

7. Determine how you CAN DO IT!

If you think you CANT conquer an obstacle, there are reasons why you can.

Use this: (from an article I read today)

Take a sheet of paper and divide it into two columns. Title one column--HOW I CAN and the other HOW I CANT.

Draw a big X to fill the entire HOW I CANT column--because that doesn't matter

You are not concerned with how you cant conquer an obstacle

You are concerned with HOW YOU CAN

Think of creative ways you can conquer an obstacle; for every cant you think of, just write down in the CAN column the direct opposite solution.

8. One BITE AT A TIME

Obstacles can be so overwhelming that you end up doing nothing about it, except take it every single day. Break it down to sub-conquers if necessary, and set it up in steps......for the ULTIMATE CONQUER!

This way you are doing something about it--------rather than looking for some magic wand, or magic PILL or magician to show up.

YOU ARE THE MAGIC......IF YOU BELIEVE......HAVE FAITH AND ARE AWARE YOU HAVE IT!

9. Forge ahead with unyielding determination

By doing this you will gain energy and momentum needed to knock down what gets in your way. Sometimes just working THROUGH works in overcoming obstacles.

REMEMBER:

NOTHING CAN DETER YOU FROM REACHING YOUR GOALS UNLESS YOU GIVE PERMISSION TO LET THIS HAPPEN!

BE ALL YOU CAN BE, Soldier, ROCK ON!

To the BEST THAT IS WITHIN YOU,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 01-10-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,653, Level: 76 Points: 13,653, Level: 76 Points: 13,653, Level: 76
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. I'm having a bit of trouble organizing my new busy life. Having a family, owning a home, and serving Uncle Sam...this whole "real world" thing can be hard to keep up with!

When it comes to training, I just feel like I'm running out of good ideas about what direction to go and what to do to get there. I'm just feeling a little trapped. Normal growing up stuff, I'm sure.

I'm lucky though. I've got issues to deal with like everyone else, but I'll NEVER forget that it could be WAY worse.

I have a family history of clinical depression and every now and then I just get into one of these funks where nothing really gets me going. It's been way worse than this in the past. I've got my daughter and the iron to thank for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kag94 View Post
Just asking but since going off cycle have you gotten bloods done? That most likely is you're issue..
I have. The only issue that came back was high liver triglycerides. This was pretty soon after my last cycle and that was over 6 months ago.

All evidence says that my hormone levels are solid.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,337, Level: 64 Points: 9,337, Level: 64 Points: 9,337, Level: 64
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
You need to set 1 goal and follow it. Once you determined what you want to be, its easy since you start think about what you loose. May it be strength oriented or aesthetic oriented, its hard to achieve both at the same time for most people.

BtB is spot on, find a FUN way to train. A program that give you the feeling of want to get right back in the gym for next session as soon as your done with the first.

Its an hobby, an interest and its not that damn serious after all. A hobby should be fun and relaxing and not something that creates anxiety.
Great advice right here!

Also I really hope you get things sorted out Soldier, you are a great contributor to this forum, and I love reading all you have to say....GOOD LUCK!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.

Last edited by moeheep; 01-10-2014 at 09:01 AM.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,322, Level: 35 Points: 3,322, Level: 35 Points: 3,322, Level: 35
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Exactly! I was cycling between 1200 and 2000 calories and the scale wouldn't budge. Maybe things would have gone better if I hadn't started with low carb dieting. It worked so well at first, but after a couple weeks all it helped me lose was strength.
I have to agree with Nick on calories being too low. Have you watched any of Layne Norton's videos on metabolic damage? I'm not saying that your metabolism is necessarily damaged, but he does boast a lot that his athletes are able to cut on high (relatively speaking, of course) calorie diets.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29 Points: 2,310, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

+1 on finding a fun way to train. Priority number one is having fun, otherwise it won't be worth it and you're not likely to stick to it in the long run. Famous quotes by people like Muhammed Ali like 'I hated every second of my training, but it made me the star I am' may sound very 'hardcore' but it's a needlessly unfun way to approach it all.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook