Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Bulking Up - Please Read
by BendtheBar 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Years ago, a fool proof method of bulking up was discovered. And yet gaining weight is a major problem with bodybuilders today because the old method somehow got lost in the shuffle. Itís too bad, because gaining weight is really no problem. Bulking up is far and away the easiest part of bodybuilding.

If you want to make use of some old gold and really apply yourself, you can gain lots of weight. If you want to quit scratching around for something new for a couple of months, you can get as bulky as you want.

Letís review the old method, and then weíll outline a program for you. We can sum up the essentials very quickly. Squats and milk. Thatís the gist of it. Heavy squats and lots of milk and never mind if the principle is years old. If youíre in doubt, let me tell you this. I get scores of letters from lifters around the country whoíve tried the squats and milk program. They all say the same thing. They gained more weight in a month on the squats and milk than they had in a year or more on other types of programs.Gains of twenty to thirty pounds in a month are not uncommon. If you donít gain at least ten pounds a month youíre doing something wrong.

Lets take it piece by piece. Weíll start with the milk bit. The bodybuilders who donít gain well on milk usually fail because they misunderstand the instructions to drink a lot of it. Iíve met a few men who thought a couple glasses was a lot. Thatís not what I mean. When I say a lot of milk, Iím talking about a gallon or so a day. A gallon of milk a day may sound excessive, and perhaps it is, but itís a sure guarantee of fast gains.

You can even soup up the milk a bit by adding a few items to it; like a dayís supply of protein supplement, some ice cream or maybe some skim milk powder. Either way, just make sure you drink a gallon a day. The other essential to the program is the squat. This, like the milk, is often badly misunderstood. Letís outline a bulking up routine for you, and discuss the squat in itís proper place in the program.

You should start your program with a brief warmup. Spend about five minutes bending and twisting, doing light repetition snatches or cleans, sit-ups, running in place, and so on. Donít wear yourself out on the warmup. Just get your blood moving and a good feeling about the whole thing. Your first exercise is the press behind the neck. Do three sets of twelve reps. Donít be frightened by the relatively high reps, and donít be stampeded into using low rep stuff. The value of low reps has been greatly exaggerated. Moderately high reps, properly used, provide umpteen times the growth stimulation, and are so much better for your health that comparisons become ridiculous.

Do the presses in strict style with a medium width grip. Work hard on them and try to force the poundage way up. Thereís no use kidding yourself on this or any other exercise. If you use baby sized weights, then you can expect baby sized muscles. Itís as simple as that and thereís no way out of it. If you want respectable deltoid, trapezius, and triceps development, then youíve got to work up to about three-quarters of your body weight for the twelve reps. That means around 105 pounds for a 140 pound man, 120 pounds for a 160 pound man, 150 pounds for a 200 pound man, and so on. Nothing less will do. If you think it will, forget it.

The biggest fallacy in weight training is the foisted notion that you can build big powerful muscles without hard work on heavy weights. You canít do it, brothers, and youíre wasting your time trying. If youíre not gaining like you should, give your training poundages a long hard look. The fault may be entirely yours. Take a short rest after the presses. The next exercise is the big one, the key to the whole thing, the squat. Youíll do one set of twenty reps, in puff and pant style, with all the weight you an handle.

Twenty rep squats are the solution to everybodyís weight gaining problems. Theyíll stimulate growth beyond belief if you work hard enough on them. Warm up your knees with a few free squats and then start right in on the heavy stuff. Take three huge gulping breaths between each rep. Hold the last breath and squat. Blast the air out violently as you come erect. Hold your head up and keep your back as flat as possible. Donít go below parallel position. You should use a weight so heavy that the last five reps are doubtful. I continually get letters from trainees complaining about their slow gains in bodyweight. Eventually I find out theyíre using weights in the squat that an old lady with arthritis could lift. Youíve gotta force the poundage. 150% of your bodyweight for twenty reps is rock bottom minimum. That means 300 pounds for a 200 pound man. And remember, thatís a minimum figure. You should figure on going well above that.

As soon as you finish the squats, do twenty pullovers with a light weight. Twenty pounds or so is plenty. All you want to do is give your rib box a good stretch. The next exercise is the bench press. This exercise has been published enough so that you shouldnít need any special instruction on it. Do three sets in a rather loose style. The next exercise is bent over rowing. Do three sets of fifteen in very strict style. Rest your forehead on a block or lean it against a post or something to make sure you donít cheat. Use a medium width grip and pull the bar to your lower abdomen.

The next exercise is the stiff legged deadlift. One set of fifteen reps. Do the deadlifts standing on a bench or a high block so that you can go all the way down without the plates hitting the floor. Concentrate on a full extension and contraction of your lower back. Donít set the weight down when you finish the fifteen reps. Stand erect and do shoulder shrugs until you grip gives out. You should be able to get at least a dozen shrugs out of it. Do another set of light pullovers, twenty reps, after the deadlifts and shrugs.

That completes the program, and it looks like this:

1. Press behind neck 3 x 12
2. Squat 1 x 20
3. Pullover 1 x 20
4. Bench press 3 x 12
5. Rowing 3 x 15
6. Stiff legged deadlift 1 x 15
7. Pullover 1 x 20

Work hard on all the exercises, and work to your limit on the squats. Drink milk as suggested earlier. Get lots of rest and sleep. Maintain a calm, tranquil mind and start saving your money. Youíll need it to buy bigger clothes. In other articles, John McCullum stressed the importance of forcing the poundage on the squat. He said to add five pounds every workout!

from ďStrength & Healthď, November 1968. By John McCallum

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

6 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Views 761 Comments 13
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 13

Comments

Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,366, Level: 36 Points: 3,366, Level: 36 Points: 3,366, Level: 36
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Can't go wrong wit dat milk, bro!

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,132, Level: 69 Points: 11,132, Level: 69 Points: 11,132, Level: 69
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

If one were to focus on nothing else but the primary goals getting 3 quarters bodyweight x12 OHP and a 150% bodyweight 20 rep squat they would be beast strong and would be swole.
When I stopped to think about it, this fact slapped me across the face. Anyone who could do this would be strong by anyone's standard and would have to of packed on enough mass in the process to draw attention in any gym.
Personally, I am never going to be a powerlifter because of my back issues and the idea of getting on stage in a bodybuilding competition is not appealing to me. So with that context in mind working toward getting brutally strong in the manner described in the article above has no draw back that I can see. The only exception I might make is to customize the assistance work a bit more, but even that would probably not be necessary.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,357, Level: 67 Points: 10,357, Level: 67 Points: 10,357, Level: 67
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Sheeeiit sign me up. I can barely regular press 150 for a few reps. The guy that can do as outlined is gonna be jacked.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,955, Level: 66 Points: 9,955, Level: 66 Points: 9,955, Level: 66
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

That's some mighty strength standards, yep.

20 rep squats @ >300lbs... hm, not for a little while, methinks. Not to mention 12 rep BtNP @ >150lbs. LOL.

Maybe in a couple of years or so...

My training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1Ĺ yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Hmm... I might be up to try that squat as a challenge... that would be 122.5 kg for 20 reps for me Gotta keep dreaming about the rest of the lifts though..

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 01-05-2014 at 05:16 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 26,514, Level: 97 Points: 26,514, Level: 97 Points: 26,514, Level: 97
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

that will be around 320 lbs and 20 reps for me ... gosh ... Anyone who can do it is mighty strong and can be visible from a distance of around 2 miles ... But worth trying ...

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

nice I like those type of routines.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,357, Level: 97 Points: 26,357, Level: 97 Points: 26,357, Level: 97
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

McCallum's routines can be brutal. Great post.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,875, Level: 59 Points: 7,875, Level: 59 Points: 7,875, Level: 59
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Fantastic write up.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook