Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Xyanide
Xyanide
Lats need work
Brawn
Points: 639, Level: 12 Points: 639, Level: 12 Points: 639, Level: 12
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: ON Creatine Powder
My Mood: Amused
Xyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good posts
Default Time for a Change?

I have been lifting for 5 months, 3 months on an actual protocol. The first 2 months were just basically dicking around in the gym with friends. Some background before I ask my question: I am 18 years old, can rep 225lbs on squat for 5x5, 265lbs on deadlift for 1x5, and 145lbs for 5x5 on bench. I love the strength gains I've been getting on my current protocol (ICF 5x5) but am honestly just getting bored of it. I love going to the gym and I effing love everything about lifting. But I feel like being so young and being accustomed to lifting at this point, I could start lifting more often. I know the actual recommendation is to do a beginner program until you plateau with it or hit 3/4/5 on bench/squat/dead, but in your opinions, would it be alright to change to a push/pull/legs program or something of that sort?
Xyanide is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

There are plenty of effective routines. If you don't like ICF then definitely change. The main thing is to get strong and remain consistent. Have you looked at other programs?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Xyanide
Xyanide
Lats need work
Brawn

Xyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good postsXyanide has made some good posts

I don't want to say I don't like ICF. I love the results so far from it. It's just that I want to train more. Say, going to 4 or 5 days a week from 3. But I am honestly not sure with me being only a beginner that is really a smart idea.

Edit 1: btw, I don't want to train more because I expect more results. I am currently consistently adding 10-15lbs to my lifts every week, and on bad weeks 5lbs. But I figure maybe I could do more hypertrophy work since so much of what I do now focuses on strength.

Last edited by Xyanide; 01-02-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would try a 4 day first. I would focus on 4 days and making it workout challenging. It you are trainign properly you really shouldn't eant to train more than 4 days a week.

Quote:
But I figure maybe I could do more hypertrophy work
Strength training is hypertrophy work. There is no different for the first 2-3 years. You need 5-12 rep sets on primarily compound movements. Strength builds muscle. Muscle helps with strength.

You can't add size without strength (progression).

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
Xyanide
Xyanide
Lats need work
Brawn

I am going to take a guess and assume the 4 days would just be an upper/lower split correct? So I effectively do all body parts 2 days a week. I appreciate the input.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,659, Level: 73 Points: 12,659, Level: 73 Points: 12,659, Level: 73
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

That would probably be the easiest. Got a basic description of your current routine, main lifts, weight, sets and reps?

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
jopp
jopp
I am weird
Brawn
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Inspired
jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts

Hey I am a senior in High school to and when I started getting serious into my lifting. I did Lower/upper (lower first) and saw great results. I would work up to a top set of 5 and add 5 pound to my squat and bench each workout. Deadlift I would go to a set of 2 because my for was not amazing and with deadlift form, at least for me, starts to go out the door with reps.

Sample what I did if this could help you.

Squat 1x5 Add 5 pounds each workout. Back off sets what ever you want make it fun.
deadlift 1x2. Add 5 pounds each workout.
You can do a leg press if you need extra volume. 4x8 add weight as often as possible.
45 degree hyper extension 3x12-15 use weight plates to add resistance.
a lot of core work after.

You would do each of these twice a week and just have fun that will take you a lot farther in the beginning then pressuring your self to get stronger. When you stall just try harder.

Bench 1x5 Add 5 pounds each workout. Back off sets what ever you want make it fun.
OHP 1x5 Add 5 pounds each workout. Back off sets what ever you want make it fun. This might go slower because OHP is just harder to do more weight with.
Close grip bench press 3x10.add weight as often as possible.
Lateral raises 3x12 add weight as often as possible.
Curls 3x8. add weight as often as possible.
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

You need to Build, Do not test all of the time.

Sometimes your strongest attribute becomes an obstacle

Training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...026#post490026
jopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Xyanide
Xyanide
Lats need work
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
That would probably be the easiest. Got a basic description of your current routine, main lifts, weight, sets and reps?
ICF 5x5? Yeah it's pretty straight foward.

Workout A:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Tricep Pushdowns 3x8
Barbell Curls 3x8
Hyper-extensions
Ab work

Workout B:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5 (warm up with 2 lighter sets)
Standing Barbell Shoulder Press 5x5
Bent Over Row 5x5 (10% lighter than Workout A due to deadlifts)
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
Barbell Curl 3x8
Ab Work

You just alternate A-B-A, B-A-B each week. And every workout you will add 5lbs to the compound lifts. If you fail two workouts in a row you back off by 10% and rework from there. I love the results, I just wish I could be in the gym more often but Jason (creator of program) makes a pretty compelling argument about why most beginners really don't need more than 3 days of lifting.

5x5 Numbers for Lifts:
Squat 225lbs
Deadlift 260lbs
Bench 145lbs
Overhead Press 105lbs
Bent Over Row 135lbs

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
I am going to take a guess and assume the 4 days would just be an upper/lower split correct? So I effectively do all body parts 2 days a week. I appreciate the input.
Yes.

Fullbody 3x a week or lift a day 4x a week will both work well into being an intermediate level lifter. I suspect that is not your question.

You seem to want to train more than 3x a week. There should be a reason for that, a reason you should explain more about so that we can help you more effectively.

If you hit a fullbody really hard, you would not want to train more than that unless you are young or enhanced or you just want to go to the gym everyday for example.

Or maybe you have perfected your form on all lifts and know your weakness's on each so well that you can do each once a week and program assistance for each to address weaknesses effectively.

I say that as I started with a fullbody for a year, then switched to upper lower split for a year, and then I learned that I needed to learn a lot more about form for each lift on that upper lower split. Then I went back to fullbody as I "knew" the lifts. Now I am back to a split as I fix my weaknesses on each lift. etc.

There is no perfect program or split for this or that. There is just a program that is good for you for right now.

So, right now how is your form and how much can you lift? How often? That is the to key for programming for you.

There's no problem to you switching to any type program at your level. Do whatever you want as long as it involves progression on the big four lifts. You will gain. Figuring out what you need to do to keep progressing consistently is the magic.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Xyanide
Xyanide
Lats need work
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Yes.

Fullbody 3x a week or lift a day 4x a week will both work well into being an intermediate level lifter. I suspect that is not your question.

You seem to want to train more than 3x a week. There should be a reason for that, a reason you should explain more about so that we can help you more effectively.

If you hit a fullbody really hard, you would not want to train more than that unless you are young or enhanced or you just want to go to the gym everyday for example.

Or maybe you have perfected your form on all lifts and know your weakness's on each so well that you can do each once a week and program assistance for each to address weaknesses effectively.

I say that as I started with a fullbody for a year, then switched to upper lower split for a year, and then I learned that I needed to learn a lot more about form for each lift on that upper lower split. Then I went back to fullbody as I "knew" the lifts. Now I am back to a split as I fix my weaknesses on each lift. etc.

There is no perfect program or split for this or that. There is just a program that is good for you for right now.

So, right now how is your form and how much can you lift? How often? That is the to key for programming for you.

There's no problem to you switching to any type program at your level. Do whatever you want as long as it involves progression on the big four lifts. You will gain. Figuring out what you need to do to keep progressing consistently is the magic.
Well, I am very young, 18. I understand quite a bit about how at 18-25 years of age the average man well be at his highest test levels. I want to get everything I can out of these years of my life in every regard. So, if I am going to train I want to seriously train hard and not think back about how I could have done more. Basically, with the 3 day full body workout I do I am fatigued from it the following days. Definitely not sore. But fatigued would seem fitting. As far as lifting goes I have already posted my current lifts and those are with pretty good form. Also, I add at least 5lbs to them all every week. Squats are breaking parallel every time. On Deadlifts I make sure I keep my hips low and I have a timing set up in my head to basically tell me when to start pulling from different muscles. Bench press I do not bounce, I keep it slow and explode up as best as I can. I lowed the bar to my diaphragm by the way, trying to activate the pecs as best as I can. Overhead press I keep my entire core and ass tight and I make sure I don't lean too far back as to not turn the movement into an awkward incline press. And on Bent Over Rows I keep my spine in a neutral position and pull with my elbows close to my body. My elbows don't flare out, they push back. And I know with me adding weight to the bar constantly and consistently having good form, the program is working. I well not for a second say it isn't. I would just like to do more, if that is possible.

Share with Facebook