Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Mrinda87
Mrinda87
Snowed in and browsing the forums..
Brawn
Points: 787, Level: 14 Points: 787, Level: 14 Points: 787, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
My Mood: Blah
Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts
Default Interesting article I just found...

http://criticalmas.com/2012/06/i-no-...out-the-squat/. Also this one... http://www.thedreamlounge.net/barbel...orst-exercise/.

Last edited by Mrinda87; 12-29-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Members of Muscle and Brawn Forums have rated post 441789 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Dray
Dray
is in ur base building
Max Brawn
Points: 7,031, Level: 55 Points: 7,031, Level: 55 Points: 7,031, Level: 55
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I'm not convinced.

As far as I can tell? Reasonable programming, progressive overload and attention to form, will generally ensure that the entire back (along with all or most other muscle groups, connective tissues, and bones) is strengthened over time.

Unfortunately, I believe quite a few people getting into the lifting of weights don't know how to brace properly (and not just "the core", that is) - and they never find out, which means things will probably go one of two ways: 1) they give it up as a bad idea before they seriously injure themselves; or 2) they seriously injure themselves.

So for some people out there, I suppose those two guys have a point. For everyone else though, I don't believe they do.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,414, Level: 67 Points: 10,414, Level: 67 Points: 10,414, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

My anti virus is blocking the second URL you posted and stating that it is dangerous. Just FYI.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,414, Level: 67 Points: 10,414, Level: 67 Points: 10,414, Level: 67

I'm not going to bite into this too much. This is a complex discussion IMO and I'm afraid it will get turned into a black and white issue, which I feel it is not.
However I will say I think it's funny that the guy uses a video of an Ed Coan 975lb raw squat to help illustrate his point. It makes no sense to use this video for other than shock value for the following reasons:
1.) the article seems to be written towards the average gym goer, not the elite level powerlifter with a 900lb+ raw squat. I gurantee 98% of the people reading that article, let alone squating in the gym never even piss at a 975lbs squats general direction (probably not many over 400lbs in all reality)
2.) The article specifically is addressing back injuries, yet in that video, Ed Coan is not injuring his back, rather his knee.
3.) This article is not worthy of Ed Coan.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,539, Level: 30 Points: 2,539, Level: 30 Points: 2,539, Level: 30

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for posting this! Light quad extensions and hamstring curls for me from now on.
CODY_SNIDER is online now   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yes so dangerous. VERY dangerous. Blah, blah, blah. Masturbate and you'll go blind kids! Squat and you'll die!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bubble-wrap.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	12590  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-30-2013 at 02:22 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 8,605, Level: 62 Points: 8,605, Level: 62 Points: 8,605, Level: 62
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

100% of people who squat will someday die.

Squatting = death
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,118, Level: 100 Points: 32,118, Level: 100 Points: 32,118, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

This is a picture of the author of the article.

Look at the feminine jaw-line, the puffy lips that only serves one purpose and the lack of facial hair.

This is a girly-man, and he is also very scared off pain and progress. But yes, I take his advice on training anyday!

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
I.e. if you start squatting from a young age, and continue this over a lifetime like Mr. Rippetoe would have you do, the chance of an injury happening approaches 100%. It becomes inevitable.
Haha.... I've been squatting for 13yrs and never been really injured from squatting. I better stop walking too... B/c over my lifetime.. I'm going to trip and fall and hurt myself.. it's 100% going to happen.

Quote:
But does everyone actually squat in a rack when available?

No. Iíve been to enough gyms and seen hundreds of people perform a barbell squat outside of a standard squat rack, or even a smith machine.
How do you squat out of a Smith machine? Besides.. everyone knows you can't squat on a smith rack...

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,612, Level: 37 Points: 3,612, Level: 37 Points: 3,612, Level: 37
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

The poor man is deluded.

Get into these
skids is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook