Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
MetalMan
MetalMan
Determined
Brawn
Points: 705, Level: 14 Points: 705, Level: 14 Points: 705, Level: 14
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: less than a year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chocolate Milk
MetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good posts
Default help with nutrition

Hey guys I was hoping to get some info from some nutrition gurus on what's best for me to go on a bulking phase. I'm currently 250 lbs 6' 1" and I'm 22. I just want to optimize my health and gains
MetalMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Couple questions. What are your lifting goals? What does your current diet look like? How is the 6'1" 250 made up? If most of the weight resides around the belt line, I would be doing you a disservice advising you to bulk.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
MetalMan
MetalMan
Determined
Brawn

MetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good postsMetalMan has made some good posts

Thank you sir, I am going to start pretty low on my lifts, mostly due to me being a beginner, so im .ot quite sure what's best to answer that question. I have broad shoulders and big bones, but I am heavy around the middle, I have very muscular thighs. That's about the best way to describe my body. I currently eat a low carb diet, I call it the half ass Keto diet.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Since you are a beginner there is no need to "bulk," you will enjoy the best muscle gains following a balanced diet at maintenance levels of calories. Get about 1g. Protein per body weight, eat healthy fats, and fruits and veggies. Follow a good program focused around multi-joint compound movements and enjoy the growth. If you eat excess calories now you'd probably just gain unwanted fat.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
MetalMan
MetalMan
Determined
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Since you are a beginner there is no need to "bulk," you will enjoy the best muscle gains following a balanced diet at maintenance levels of calories. Get about 1g. Protein per body weight, eat healthy fats, and fruits and veggies. Follow a good program focused around multi-joint compound movements and enjoy the growth. If you eat excess calories now you'd probably just gain unwanted fat.
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice, I'm going to bring my calories back up to maintenance and set my macros based around my protein then? I just want to make sure my body doesn't decide to start converting protein for glycogen, so should my primary fuel source be carbs or fats?
Thanks again.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just eat to satiety (eat when you're hungry), listen to your body and watch the scale to make sure you aren't undereating.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
MetalMan
MetalMan
Determined
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just eat to satiety (eat when you're hungry), listen to your body and watch the scale to make sure you aren't undereating.
Thanks man, wanted to thank you for your videos and the forum to use as a resource. I'm really excited to start, and to share my progress with you guys.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

To optimize your health, ditch any multivitamin and eat 2 teaspoons of this everyday:

http://www.vitacost.com/ys-eco-bee-f...is-and-ginseng

Bee Pollen & Royal Jelly are the 2 most nutritious foods on Earth - nothing else comes even close. It is food and not a supplement, and contains every single nutrient to sustain human life all on its own.

Also eat an avocado every day. Other that, just eat smart, including greens and allow yourself 1 cheat meal per week.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 3.5
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
To optimize your health, ditch any multivitamin and eat 2 teaspoons of this everyday:

http://www.vitacost.com/ys-eco-bee-f...is-and-ginseng

Bee Pollen & Royal Jelly are the 2 most nutritious foods on Earth - nothing else comes even close. It is food and not a supplement, and contains every single nutrient to sustain human life all on its own.
What is the benefit of using this?
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
What is the benefit of using this?
In place of a multi vitamin. It is highly absorbable and is cheaper than some of the top multi's, which still do not stack up to this stuff. It contains raw honey, which stabilizes the Royal Jelly. It also tastes very good.

as an added bonus, I am quite sure royal jelly contibuted to my successful treatment of my Birdshot eye disease, when nothing else would.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook