Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
SCStrong
SCStrong
blamed it on the dog
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 3,684, Level: 38 Points: 3,684, Level: 38 Points: 3,684, Level: 38
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
 
SCStrong's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Inside the dark abyss of my mind
Posts: 1,548
Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
Reputation: 103747
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Want to hear something ironic? I wrote quite a long post covering REM and NREM, sleep staircase, stages 1-4, Jim Horne and Ian Oswald's theories and so on (I teach a course on all this stuff). Somewhere along the way, I nodded off. When I woke up, Windows update had restarted the computer and it was all gone.
Finally!!! The correct use of the word ironic. Thank You !!
__________________
The squat rack didn't say anything. Squat racks never do.
SCStrong is online now   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
5kgLifter's Avatar
 
Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,928
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
Reputation: 646483
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Good points.


With this cycle I'm trying to get in, do you think it'd be abetter idea to do it this way:


I often go to bed at 2:00AM on a non-college day, waking up at 10:00AM the next morning giving me 8 hours sleep.

Could I say go to bed at 12:30 Tonight, meaning I'd still wake up at 10 in the morning having gained my 8 hours for this night, but also the 1 and a half hours I needed today.
Total 9.5 hours sleep.
Seem petty I know, but would that work?

I Just can't get to sleep now for some reason, and I have food to eat, things to do etc; before bed.
No, sleep doesn't work that way, do not add an hour on for an hour you "missed".

People that have deliberately deprived themselves of sleep for a few days, for the sake of studies, medically supervised sort of thing, only require the normal allotted sleep the day after...they don't have a catch-up phase because the body doesn't need it.

If someone is exhausted, they may sleep like a log until the body has had enough sleep and then they will be fine etc; the body is good at dictating how much sleep it needs.

The adult body hits sleep mode at around 11pm, if a person pushes through that wave of sleepiness, then they will have to wait until the next wave hits them etc...push through the wave and you'll generally wake up again (not always, depends how tired a person is), when the wave of sleepiness hits, hit the sack. get your bedtime regular, whenever possible and the body will start to go into its sleep mode a lot easier than if you have an irregular sleep pattern.

Regularity with sleep isn't always possible with commitments, illness etc, but it's the thing to aim for. Also remember that a person that is ill and/or works out, normally requires more rest than a more sedentary person; that doesn't mean lots an lots of sleep, unless the body is exhausted but some athletes do have more than 8 hours a night, from what I've read; however, since we're amateur in that sense we shouldn't need 10 hours, like some of them have anyway.


Work with your body, you'll know when you're tired or should have got more sleep but don't force it to get more sleep than it wants because it won't work.
__________________
36.5 kg /80.3 lb Middle-Finger DL (right hand)...
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
 
LindenGarcia18's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London City UK
Posts: 1,662
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
Reputation: 63002
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
No, sleep doesn't work that way, do not add an hour on for an hour you "missed".

People that have deliberately deprived themselves of sleep for a few days, for the sake of studies, medically supervised sort of thing, only require the normal allotted sleep the day after...they don't have a catch-up phase because the body doesn't need it.

If someone is exhausted, they may sleep like a log until the body has had enough sleep and then they will be fine etc; the body is good at dictating how much sleep it needs.

The adult body hits sleep mode at around 11pm, if a person pushes through that wave of sleepiness, then they will have to wait until the next wave hits them etc...push through the wave and you'll generally wake up again (not always, depends how tired a person is), when the wave of sleepiness hits, hit the sack. get your bedtime regular, whenever possible and the body will start to go into its sleep mode a lot easier than if you have an irregular sleep pattern.

Regularity with sleep isn't always possible with commitments, illness etc, but it's the thing to aim for. Also remember that a person that is ill and/or works out, normally requires more rest than a more sedentary person; that doesn't mean lots an lots of sleep, unless the body is exhausted but some athletes do have more than 8 hours a night, from what I've read; however, since we're amateur in that sense we shouldn't need 10 hours, like some of them have anyway.


Work with your body, you'll know when you're tired or should have got more sleep but don't force it to get more sleep than it wants because it won't work.


Interesting, thanks for the reply.

So, what your saying is rather than trying to plan it out, let my body decide for itself.

So, I'm not to try and plan to make up for the sleep I lost last night, but the body will in itself make up for that sleep tonight,
And seen as it takes 48 hours to recover fully from a workout, I should be on track as far as the 8 hours go, because my body will dictate if I need more sleep?

Is that right?

So remembering now that the body is in the recovery state for 48 hours, the fact that I've missed some sleep shouldn't matter, because the body should make up for it on its own accord withing those 48 hours if its needed?
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
5kgLifter's Avatar
 
Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,928
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
Reputation: 646483
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Interesting, thanks for the reply.

So, what your saying is rather than trying to plan it out, let my body decide for itself.

So, I'm not to try and plan to make up for the sleep I lost last night, but the body will in itself make up for that sleep tonight,
And seen as it takes 48 hours to recover fully from a workout, I should be on track as far as the 8 hours go, because my body will dictate if I need more sleep?

Is that right?

So remembering now that the body is in the recovery state for 48 hours, the fact that I've missed some sleep shouldn't matter, because the body should make up for it on its own accord withing those 48 hours if its needed?

Ignore the 48 hour concept, where sleep is concerned it will just cloud the issue...as already highlighted you'd have to sleep for 6 days straight at 8 hours per night to make up for one workout in recovery time, if you thought that 48 hours sleep was required to recover from a workout

The body will wake up when good and ready, yes, some people don't even use alarm clocks and they wake up at the same time every day, of course, it's wise to use one in this day and age; it's the reason that many find it difficult to sleep in at the weekend after having to get up early all week, and it's all because the body has got in to a pattern of getting up at a set time.

Yes, don't force sleep but, at the same time, don't go staying up all hours of the night, unless either required/forced or the odd night when you just want to chill and have a very late night.

With any lack of sleep, accumulative lack of sleep, the body will right itself, without needing a forced amount of sleep...if the body is exhausted, it will remain groggy to the extent that you won't be able to get your head off the pillow; slight tiredness, you may feel not with it or grumpy etc. After a good night's sleep though, most of that rights itself, whether the body sleeps for 6 hours or 10 hours will just depend on how much rest it requires but when it wakes up (i.e. your eyes open), it's normally signalling that it's had enough sleep.
__________________
36.5 kg /80.3 lb Middle-Finger DL (right hand)...
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
 
LindenGarcia18's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London City UK
Posts: 1,662
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
Reputation: 63002
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Ignore the 48 hour concept, where sleep is concerned it will just cloud the issue...as already highlighted you'd have to sleep for 6 days straight at 8 hours per night to make up for one workout in recovery time, if you thought that 48 hours sleep was required to recover from a workout

The body will wake up when good and ready, yes, some people don't even use alarm clocks and they wake up at the same time every day, of course, it's wise to use one in this day and age; it's the reason that many find it difficult to sleep in at the weekend after having to get up early all week, and it's all because the body has got in to a pattern of getting up at a set time.

Yes, don't force sleep but, at the same time, don't go staying up all hours of the night, unless either required/forced or the odd night when you just want to chill and have a very late night.

With any lack of sleep, accumulative lack of sleep, the body will right itself, without needing a forced amount of sleep...if the body is exhausted, it will remain groggy to the extent that you won't be able to get your head off the pillow; slight tiredness, you may feel not with it or grumpy etc. After a good night's sleep though, most of that rights itself, whether the body sleeps for 6 hours or 10 hours will just depend on how much rest it requires but when it wakes up (i.e. your eyes open), it's normally signalling that it's had enough sleep.

Oh right I think I understand.


So really, the body is going to correct it self and make up on its own accord which is good news for me because it means I'm not going to miss out on any sleep because I'll get as much as I need tonight (Seen as I don't have to be up early tomorrow and can just sleep right through until I wake up)


Thanks for explaining it to me, interesting discussion too, I'm glad I asked.

Thanks again Babs
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
 
Tannhauser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 2,841
Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Reputation: 322545
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

Any nuggets of info you could share on my situation?
Babs has it covered tbh.

On the topic of insomnia, I did write a long post in reply to the charmingly named 'Spunkrat' on this thread

Teenagers often have problems getting to sleep at night and getting up early; they get out of phase with light and dark quite easily. Not that this helps, but it's by no means an unusual problem.
__________________
Lifetime best: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Reply

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleep IronWill General Board 7 07-27-2012 09:24 AM
Sleep lzaar General Fitness & Health 19 07-16-2012 07:15 AM
What do you do when you can not sleep? liftitup General Board 11 04-15-2012 08:12 AM
Sleep SeventySeven General Fitness & Health 17 10-13-2011 03:07 PM
Go the F to sleep... ricka182 General Board 0 06-15-2011 07:04 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.